Gransnet forums

News & politics

Crocodiles slaughtered - what a sad thing ?

(12 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 17:16:53

I have just read this in the Times and thought what a senseless dreadful act of revenge to inflict on captive creatures on a crocodile farm
Presumably they are farmed for a purpose and would be killed eventually, but this just perplexed and saddened me.

Enraged villagers in West Papua slaughtered nearly 300 crocodiles after a local man was mauled to death.

The mass killing was carried out at a crocodile farm after the funeral of the 31-year-old man, who had wandered into the farm grounds while collecting grass to feed his cow

Guards heard screaming and found the man, known as Sugito, severely mauled. Police said that the guards went looking for help but that the man had died by the time they returned

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 17:29:04

West Papua - I would be more worried about the people who live there who are being persecuted by the Indonesian Government and the lack of publicity by the world's press about this than I would about crocodiles.

www.freewestpapua.org/news/

If they are being farmed they will end up as handbags, belts etc - it seems a waste but heigh-ho - revenge is sweet.
Sorry, I have not a jot of love or sympathy for crocodiles and cannot see why they are protected in Australia and not culled.

Sorry Maw!

Telly Mon 16-Jul-18 17:32:48

Yes horrible act. But these poor creatures would be slaughtered without much thought when it suited the owners. Its a cruel world out there.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 17:35:37

When I visited a crocodile farm I thought it was full of rescued crocodiles - until the guide pointed out which ones were for Gucci, which for Luis Vuitton, Chanel, Versace, Hermès etc
hmm
It didn't taste very nice either.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 17:36:14

I bet that poor man was half-starved and desperately trying to find some grass to feed his one cow.

MiniMoon Mon 16-Jul-18 19:56:39

I used to work with a Ghanaian lady. She did not have a good word for crocodiles. She called them "wicked creatures".
She grew up on a pineapple farm, and had personal experience of crocodiles. She would go out of her way to find a bridge, and not cross a river by boat.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 20:01:53

We were on a boat trip in NQ and the captain showed us where a 5 year old boy had been taken by a crocodile - his farm was nearby but he had just wandered away one day.

Iam64 Mon 16-Jul-18 20:43:07

Its a crocodile farm so these crocs are destined to become handbags. Whatever our feelings about that, on reflection I have some sympathy for the villagers.
Maybe even if this poor man is the first to have been eaten by these beasts, it's something the villagers have been expressing concern about since the 'farm' began.

SueDonim Mon 16-Jul-18 21:38:56

I've lived in Indonesia and I think it's important to understand the cultural differences between such a country and the West.

They don't regard dogs and cats as pets as we do, they have to earn their living, and wild creatures are very often thought of as threats rather than something to be preserved. When you yourself are living hand to mouth, as many do, animals are low down on your priorities, unfortunately.

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 22:29:52

My feeling was principally that it seemed the primary motivation was revenge on the crocodiles.
Everybody knows that crocodiles are natural killers and the idea of “punishing”them for simply doing what is in their nature I find abhorrent. Of course I have pity for the poor man who was killed, but wandering into a crocodile farm?

SueDonim Mon 16-Jul-18 22:46:31

They will have seen the crocs as a threat, though. It's a Muslim country but there are still a lot of animist beliefs, so they may well have considered that the crocs had evil spirits or something along those lines.

It's very hard to understand the mind set when you're used to a Western POV.

JenniferEccles Tue 17-Jul-18 17:05:25

Well it does seem a slightly over the top reaction, but think about the daft protests there have been when a violent dog is destroyed after having mauled a child.

I guess the villages didn't know which of the crocs was the culprit so played safe grin