Gransnet forums

News & politics

So incredibly wasteful!

(44 Posts)
granschemeofthings Thu 19-Jul-18 17:40:21

Apparently Burberry has burnt millions of pounds worth of stock in order to protect their brand. How is this even legal? They say it was done in an environmentally friendly way but I'm not buying that for a minute. Makes me so cross. Here's the BBC article.

Luckygirl Thu 19-Jul-18 18:05:18

Isn't it ridiculous? It makes me mad that people are so gullible as to fall for all this brand stuff. If you like what you have bought then it does not matter what brand it is - the whole brand thing is about showing off to others - the goods themselves are no better quality.

Pathetic I say.

MiniMoon Thu 19-Jul-18 18:09:12

I read this too. It is incredibly wasteful. They said it was to prevent fraud or their goods being sold cheaply. I can't understand why they can't sell it themselves in an outlet of their own. I don't think I've expressed myself very well but you see what I mean.

MiniMoon Thu 19-Jul-18 18:10:22

Missed cheaply in their own outlet.

MaizieD Thu 19-Jul-18 19:01:52

I doubt if it is illegal at all.

Certainly a waste of resources, but if that's how they want to run their business it's up to them, really. If they're trying to re-establish themselves at the top end of the market they don't want all and sundry wearing their clothes...

Luckygirl Thu 19-Jul-18 19:26:35

Personally I find Asda good for clothes.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Jul-18 19:31:23

The expensive designers have always done this to keep their lines ‘select’.

eazybee Thu 19-Jul-18 19:47:36

It won't stop the cheap, chav imitations that so offend them.

MeltingMacaron Thu 19-Jul-18 19:59:04

A total disregard for environmental costs and human endeavour. Burberry and other companies are using diminishing global resources to overproduce goods and then burning the excess to keep prices high. The burning is done in a way that makes it "environmentally friendly"? Tosh. Other than the sun shining on a plant to make it grow there is no such thing as clean energy.

Economist Victor Lebow in 1955: “Our enormously productive economy demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction and our ego satisfaction in consumption. We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced and discarded at an ever-increasing rate”.

Burberry are now taking this a step further by burning up goods before they are even consumed, actions which are as disgusting as they are immoral.

The Story of Stuff. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM

Luckygirl Thu 19-Jul-18 20:45:18

You are right - it is sickening. I am so glad my DDs never got into designer labels etc.

A friend's DD became obsessed with all that stuff and chose her men on the basis of who might buy her the most expensive handbag - she is on her own and nearly 40 and beginning to feel that she has missed something in life. I am happy that my DDs have a different value system and have chosen relative poverty and happy relationships and children over "stuff."

M0nica Thu 19-Jul-18 21:57:06

If you want to be exclusive, you don't make lots and then burn it. You just make less in the first place. That is the ultimate ecological solution.

winterwhite Thu 19-Jul-18 22:11:08

Good post, MeltingMacaron

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Jul-18 06:41:00

A few years back I heard that one of these exclusive boutiques used to put their clothes in the skip behind their shop. Then some “Do Gooders” discovered, liberated the clothes and gave them to the homeless on the streets! Perhaps thats why they burn them. Although I wonder why no one wants to buy the stuff in their sales. I assume they do have sales?

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:54:52

I’ve just bought these on line, second hand. I call it saving the world and saving money.
Why pay full price.
I’ll just go and find a Burberry!

Millbrook Fri 20-Jul-18 10:22:02

Absolutely awful I understand (though don’t appreciate) them not wanting to ‘dilute’ their brand by selling on unsold stock to discounters. But there’s other ways they could dispose of it. Why not give to a charity or social enterprise that recycles in a creative way? The clothes could be taken apart, and the fabric used to make other items that could them be sold. Charities that work with women refugees, women in the criminal justice system etc would benefit hugely from a partnership with firms like Burberry. But just burning them? Wicked.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Jul-18 10:25:47

I wonder if their customers will boycott them?

MeltingMacaron Fri 20-Jul-18 11:04:33

After I'd posted upthread, I remembered the Burberry versus the Chavs controversy - thirteen years ago now - and the company's attempts to distance the label from "undesirables".

The story was covered by BBC2s Money Programme and used by the Open University in a course examining the importance of brand.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4381140.stm

keffie Fri 20-Jul-18 11:07:36

I don't like Burberry anyway! It's a chav line is the view of the majority. Now this with the left over clothing just sums up the brand for me - no decent moral values, no conscience and no care.

janeainsworth Fri 20-Jul-18 11:11:23

I agree with the wicked wastefulness of it, but the stock that Burberry have destroyed is not worth millions.
If no one wants to buy it, it’s worth nothing.
If someone wants to buy it it a greatly reduced price, then that’s what it’s worth.
The cost to Burberry is only the costs of production and the costs of materials, which is a fraction of their products’ selling price when they are sold in upmarket outlets.
What they are selling is not clothing but snobbery.

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Jul-18 11:59:49

Although it’s hugely wasteful, they are, like it or not, an international luxury brand and by disposing of unwanted stock this way are in effect looking after their shareholders’ interests. They won’t be the first or last to do this...
Their own CSR info states:
Only 20% of textiles are recycled, with the remaining 80% lost to landfill or incineration (‘Loved Clothes Last’, Fashion Revolution Issue #2).
I don’t expect they’re even the worst offenders - it’s just that someone spoke out about it!

inishowen Fri 20-Jul-18 12:20:03

Some brands give old stock to charity shops. I've seen new Bon Marche and Edinburgh Woolen Mill clothes. I know who I'd rather support.

travelsafar Fri 20-Jul-18 12:25:04

We should shun them for being so up their own backsides and thinking they are that important, Makes me mad !!!!!

Lilylaundry Fri 20-Jul-18 12:38:15

The answer to these idiots is for us not to buy Burberry, ever.

What a disgusting way to behave and expect the world and his wife to 'understand'.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 20-Jul-18 14:12:00

The whole designer thing is nonsense, isn't it? Who is going to be impressed by it anyway? Only another idiot. Even if I became a millionaire I'd still refuse to buy into it. This would apparently make me 'eccentric' - complete and utter garbage.
OTOH industry relies on us to get fed up with things and replace them due to changing fashions. If everyone was like me we'd have even fewer manufacturing industries.

Sheilasue Fri 20-Jul-18 14:55:08

Greedy that’s all not even out in a sale meanies.