Gransnet forums

News & politics

Acid attack on a child

(107 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 13:09:08

This has terrified me. A 3 year old child has been the victim of an acid attack in Worcester. A 39 year old man in custody, three men caught on camera being traced by the police .

Blinko Fri 27-Jul-18 08:59:08

Some very interesting statistics. In addition, I would be interested to know how much is London based.

Iam64 Fri 27-Jul-18 07:38:48

Thanks for the link. I heard several young men interviewed recently. They said they used acid to attack other gangs or during criminal activity because there is no crime associated with carrying it. In contrast, if you're caught with a knife or a gun, you can be prosecuted.
Terrifying isn't it.

OldMeg Fri 27-Jul-18 07:09:17

I found this report fascinating and informative.

Everything you know about acid attacks is wrong

Iam64 Thu 26-Jul-18 22:18:18

Blinko, they have to be reported don't they. I think it's the way some are reported with an emphasis on the country of origin in the case of this dreadful attack. The emphasis should surely be on the level of violence directed at women and children by men.
I

Blinko Thu 26-Jul-18 17:22:28

When such cases as these are reported, I am concerned that it fuels the impression among some that these are typical of all immigrants. As better informed people know, they are very far from it.

Anniebach Thu 26-Jul-18 16:37:33

Race will be brought into this attack, in court the father and one other of the accused had an Afghan interpreter, the other three accused a Slovakian interpreter. This is in the press.

As acid attacks are on the increase as are cases of domestic violence I don’t think race is important in this case.

Anniebach Thu 26-Jul-18 16:27:52

PECS, yes I realise your concerns.

PECS Thu 26-Jul-18 15:48:28

I am glad you agree with my point that focussing on ethnicity is not important.
Annieb I said 'in the media' ..extremists read papers/watch TV and I am not sure how one can ever be sure who is on a forum!

OldMeg Thu 26-Jul-18 15:27:35

Totally agree Monica but you forgot to add terminally stupid as it could have been anticipated that a thrown liquid would splatter all over the place.

M0nica Thu 26-Jul-18 15:16:23

It seems that the acid was aimed at the mother, not the child, the child just got the acid because it missed the mother and fell onto the child in the push chair.

The kind of person who can do this sort of a thing is a nasty vicious brute totally regardless of their background, national, ethnic, socio-demographic, gender, age, or any thing else you can think of

Blinko Thu 26-Jul-18 12:43:43

I read that one of the children from this family was recognised on a school photo, and that was how the family was tracked down.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 09:08:49

Perhaps even someone the mother thought she could trust betrayed her. So sad.

Anniebach Thu 26-Jul-18 08:43:17

There are times when families in safe houses make contact with someone from their past, I am not accusing anyone in this family of doing so but it is possible.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 08:22:24

There really must be something sadly missing in the minds of anyone who could do this to their own flesh and blood, their own family.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 08:21:13

The fact that they were “already in a safe house” is the point I was making Iam64 it didn’t do much good did it ? Someone obviously knew where they were.

Iam64 Thu 26-Jul-18 08:10:37

The father isn't being protected by anonymity, the mother and her 3 children are. They may still be at risk from members of the father's friendship or family circle. The family were already in a safe house when this attack occurred. That means the level of risk was considered very high by police and other agencies.
No one is excusing this behaviour and I'm sure the maximum sentence will be applied.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 07:57:20

His annonimity didn’t help the poor little mite before he was attached though did it? Poor lamb. There is no excuse for such a vile attack and I hope the perpetrators whatever their race or religion receive the maximum sentence possible. If deportation is possible than that should most definitely be top of the list.

M0nica Thu 26-Jul-18 06:59:09

He got anonymity because identifying him by name would mean the child and mother could also be identified and their anonymity is essential for their security.

I quite agree that nationality is irrelevant, but there had been some discussion on the issue so it seemed relevant to present any evidence that corrected the implied assumption that the perpetrators were driven by religious and cultural norms (Afghani) alien to us and 'other'

gillybob Wed 25-Jul-18 22:29:50

That (not tha) it was his own father that did this to him.....

gillybob Wed 25-Jul-18 22:28:10

But for a father to do this horrific deed to his own child should not buy him annonimity. The poor child will know soon enough tha it was his own father that did this to him. angry and sad

Anniebach Wed 25-Jul-18 22:20:03

No one has used cultural differences to excuse the attack and no one has excused the attack,

The father can’t be named because it may be the child’s name too.

gillybob Wed 25-Jul-18 22:14:21

I totally agree with you OldMeg !

The fact that he “can’t be named for legal reasons” is somewhat questionable. confused

OldMeg Wed 25-Jul-18 22:05:56

I couldn’t care less what nationality, race or religion they are. For a father to cause his 3-year old son to be targeted is despicable.

sodapop Wed 25-Jul-18 21:53:29

It's no good using cultural differences to excuse what was done, I read the acid was meant for the mother, well that's ok then - not.

Anniebach Wed 25-Jul-18 20:09:15

there are no extremists here.