Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC has Independence sites removed from YouTube

(21 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 09-Aug-18 12:24:41

At least the internet allows people to look for, and find, some other information rather than having only that given to us by the broadcasters and newspapers.
It also allows us to communicate with each other.

Not perfect, clearly, but a huge improvement on how things were in the past.

paddyann Sat 04-Aug-18 14:43:58

bbc Scotland is ,just like the unionist parties,a branch office with absolutely no power or even the semblance of it.Its got Scotland tagged onto the name to keep the natives quiet so we think its there to inform us ..unbiased and truthful.Nothing could be further from the truth!
The British Bias Corporation ONLY gives the unionist point of view ,often blatantly lying about Scottish matters ...its like Pravda back in the day.Sadly some folk still believe in it and depend on it for their news.....its a shame they dont get the facts .Just the" facts" that Westminster wants them to have .

Granny23 Sat 04-Aug-18 13:41:15

Glas to see the sites that were taken down back up again. It proves that protesting and making a fuss CAN make a difference. The debacle has also proved that BBC Scotland has no autonomy whatsoever, editorial and content decisions are all dictated by London HQ, who neither consulted with nor informed BBCScotland about this issue.

MaizieD Sat 04-Aug-18 11:58:29

Apparently it's back up again, paddyann (though I'm sure you already know that) grin

And Richard Murphy has something to say on the subject:

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2018/08/04/there-will-be-wings-over-scotland-despite-the-bbc/

paddyann Tue 31-Jul-18 14:43:07

As someone siad on one of my Independence sites there are Scottish Nationalists and British Nationalists and we all know which one will get all the flack..the "British" nationalists are apparently the good guys simply because they want the status quo...even though it doesn't work for us in Scotland..or maybe because it doesn't work.
The truth is the UK will be bankrupt if/when we gain control of our own affairs ,the figures for exports from Scotland are already fiddled to be English and Oil of which 97% is in Scottish waters has been keeping the wolf from Westminsters door for over 40 years ..yet its US who are called scroungers and worse .
The lack of truthful reporting in MSM has been ongoing for years but seems to have been ramped up recently ,Brexit will cause England a lot of pain ..lessened somewhat if they hold onto us ...thats the reason they cant AFFORD to let us go.
Of course at the end of the day the Union was voluntary and we can leave as we joined WITHOUT permission and taking the 10% + of everything owned by UK ...and of course 10% of the debt incurred by Westminster .Time will tell what the SOEVEREIGN people of Scotland decide .

Granny23 Tue 31-Jul-18 11:20:41

Maizie I have not heard of any instances where other UTube accounts have been silenced in this way, only the pro Independence ones. Presumably the BBC are happy for bloggers, etc. to use clips from their news reports to agree with them or use them to further the same line (i.e. the BBC said blah, blah, blah, ergo it must be true). It is only when someone use clips to point out discrepancies in the reporting that they suddenly jump on them.

The bottom line is that the BRITISH BC has in its charter an obligation to promote cohesiveness throughout the United Kingdom. Nationalists - Irish Scottish or Welsh - have the stated aim of breaking up or seceding from the UK and are therefore 'enemies of the state'. In the past it was easy to portray Nationalists as 'terrorists' but now that there is so much popular support via the ballot box (the Scottish Parliament has a majority of pro Independence members and the majority of MPs representing Scottish Constituencies are also pro Independence) the BBC has to tread carefully. In general the tactic is to stick to Party Political lines, so on a discussion of a particular issue the will interview or have comments from spokespersons from the SNP, Tories, Labour, sometimes from the Greens and Liberals too. This seems fair on the face of it but means that when Indepence or Democracy is the topic under discussion the ratio is either 1 Indy person v 2 Unionists or 2 for Indy v 3 Unionists, each individual given equal time to state their case. Is this Bias? or simply the way the system works?

The SNP are currently the 3rd biggest Party in Westminster but are seldom, if ever asked to comment on UK wide issues, preference being given to Labour (quite rightly) and then the Liberals. Until recently we ALWAYS had a comment from UKIP or a UKIP representative on every panel, with a Welsh, Scottish or Irish Nationalist making a very rare appearance.

As the Grandad said in the OP when State paid and controlled media becomes political instead of just reporting the NEWS

MaizieD Mon 30-Jul-18 16:00:15

The BBC are claiming it's to do with copyright but do they use this argument to close down all YouTube videos which use clips of their material?
(Not a question I know the answer to)

If they don't, then bias might seem to be implicated

Jalima1108 Mon 30-Jul-18 15:58:59

I along with thousands of like-minded, freedom-loving folk, have been called by the Corporate Media, various Red, Yellow and Blue Tories, corrupt old 'Auntie Beeb' and assorted piss-pot z-list 'Celebrities':

Freedom of speech?
as also used there when referring to someone as a piss-pot z-list 'Celebrity'?

Jalima1108 Mon 30-Jul-18 15:56:57

So it is to do with copyright, not to do with any bias?

MaizieD Mon 30-Jul-18 14:54:48

He's a Quaker, paddyan.

I read his blog regularly. He's certainly not right wing.

paddyann Mon 30-Jul-18 14:34:52

this from Richard Murphy ,Political Economist/chartered accountant ,campaigner against tax evasion issues and anti poverty campaigner.I have no idea what Mr Murphy's political leanings are

Does the BBC have the right to close down discussion of the news?

Posted on July 30 2018

The BBC is a public service broadcaster. It is paid for by taxation (because that is what the licence fee is). Bizarrely, that tax is one of the most heavily enforced in the country. If only HMRC was as efficient at tax collection as the BBC is then there would have never been an excuse for austerity. But that is not my concern this morning. My concern is that the BBC is using claimed breaches of copyright on its public interest news to close down public interest websites.

One such site is the Youtube channel of Wings Over Scotland. Now I am aware that Wings is controversial. Dammit, anyone who creates change is just that. But as is recounted here, it is the BBC who forced the closure of its Youtube channel for using BBC clips to illustrate points of concern, and often (even) to defend the BBC.

I suggest you read it.

And then ask why the Tories in Scotland have not had their site closed by the BBC for the very same reason.

I want to think the BBC is unbiased. The evidence here is of total bias. And it is wholly unjustified. If the BBC cannot stand discussion of their output they should not be asking us to pay for it.

Granny23 Mon 30-Jul-18 13:08:14

There is another Indy supporting site which has also been closed by Utube. I find the timing of these closures interesting 1stly because both Scottish and Westminster Parliaments are now in recess and secondly because of the sudden announcements about a crack down on 'Fake News'.

What is 'Fake News'? From where I'm standing it seems to be anything that does not parrot the official government line. I read a very interesting article from George Galloway about the Novochek attacks, in which he points out all the discrepancies in the 'official' statements (or lack of them). If anyone does know the truth of what happened then it is being well hidden from us and being replaced by Fake News which when subjected to scrutiny makes no sense at all.

MaizieD Mon 30-Jul-18 10:10:00

I wasn't taking sides, paddyann, just trying to find an answer to the question of how the BBC managed to get the site removed.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the call for Scottish independence.

paddyann Mon 30-Jul-18 09:28:44

wingsoverscotland.com/when-were-gone/

Read BOTH sides view .

Chewbacca Mon 30-Jul-18 01:05:03

Thanks MaizeD, that makes more sense.

MaizieD Sun 29-Jul-18 23:43:52

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2994970/wings-over-scotland-bbc-copyright-youtube/

Gives a bit more detail.

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 23:31:17

the BBC have confirmed they were resposiblle for the removal of independence sites including Wings over Scotland ...for copyright issues? My friend who posted the list above as things he has had levelled at him , informed me of this today though apparently the owner of the Wings site publicised it yesterday.
On speaking to others I was told that the BBC have indeed the influence to have certain sites removed from you tube .Its smacks of State run media who want to keep others in the dark.They only want us to hear their opinions .Check out Wings online site for information.

mcem Sun 29-Jul-18 23:11:06

Sorry paddy. Don't understand this.
As maizie said I don't see how the can BBC have the power to remove anything from Youtube.

Do you mean your friend as an individual had these insults levelled at him or has he read comments about pro-independence Scots in general.

Who were the authors of the posts and in what way was BBC involved?

Lucylastic Sun 29-Jul-18 23:03:49

Many unionist institutions like the BBC are becoming increasingly nervous about the possibility of Scottish independence, Paddyann, and with very good reason!
A combination of Brexit, ongoing austerity and an incompetent and avaricious Tory government is resulting in increasing numbers of Scots appearing to see the benefits of making their own decisions and running their own affairs, just like any other small, independent country.
And dissolving the union would allow England and Wales to leave the EU while Scotland remains a member, reflecting the wishes of the individual nations in the EU referendum.

MaizieD Sun 29-Jul-18 22:56:19

How can the BBC take down You tube sites? I thought Google owned it?

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 21:38:21

They must be worried about us or why would they bother to take down the sites we get information passed to us on.A friend on the English Scots for Independence sent me this .

I along with thousands of like-minded, freedom-loving folk, have been called by the Corporate Media, various Red, Yellow and Blue Tories, corrupt old 'Auntie Beeb' and assorted piss-pot z-list 'Celebrities':

" Wee,
Poor,
Stupid,
an Angry Nationalist,
Stormer of the BBC,
Genetically Incapable,
Republican,
Insurgent,
Ungrateful,
Scrounging,
Dangerous,
Far-Left,
Far-Right,
Facist,
Nazi,
Communist,
English-hating (I'm English) Xenophobic,
Racist,
Slavish,
Incestuous,
Ultra Extremist,
Fratracidal
a Cult-Member,
an Abusive Cybernat,
Terrorist Sympathiser,
an Enemy Within,
a Separatist and
a Saboteur. "

I never for one moment imagined that just by joining the SNP and campaigning for YES, this grandfather and enthusiastic gardener, would become so 'edgy' and interesting
.We live in interesting times ....when State paid and controlled media becomes political instead of just reporting the NEWS .