Gransnet forums

News & politics

Exit from Brexit

(505 Posts)
varian Mon 06-Aug-18 18:13:52

Brexit has not yet happened, and there can be no certainty that it ever will.

www.gfmag.com/topics/blogs/uk-could-exit-brexit

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 19:03:11

And he was contradicted by Kier Starmer and Emily Thornberry

Day6 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:01:17

Jeremy Corbyn was asked whether there should be another referendum on Brexit and replied: “Not really, no”, as “the referendum took place”.

In an interview with the German newspaper Der Spiegel, Mr Corbyn said: “We can’t stop [Brexit]. The referendum took place. Article 50 has been triggered. What we can do is recognise the reasons why people voted Leave.”

inews.co.uk/news/brexit/keir-starmer-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-peoples-vote/

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 17:44:33

Its high time we .looked at the real effects of brexit

twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1061554026284834817

varian Sat 10-Nov-18 18:39:36

For twenty five years or more the British press and other media controlled by those with an anti-EU agenda repeatedly published fake news to discredit and ridicule our membership of the EU. The photo in my previous post shows some of them with the publications - all the usual suspects are there.

The fact that this happened and influenced people to vote leave is certainly not fake news.

A-Z Index of Euromyths 1992 to 2017

blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Fennel Sat 10-Nov-18 18:18:14

It's a consortium of well known hospitals and philanthropic institutions.

Fennel Sat 10-Nov-18 18:09:07

"The more worrying thing is the worldwide shortage of certain medicines due to other factors."
I read a report today that some company in the USA is planning to set up to produce the many basic medicines that are lacking (generics.)

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 20:45:10

I can't read it well but I've never heard of any of them as far as I can tell, never heard them mentioned even by friends who voted Brexit.

Are you sure the list isn't Fake News varian?

varian Fri 09-Nov-18 19:25:13

So true MarthaBeck

tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-uk-press-vote-for-your-favourite-here/

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 18:52:17

jura I think both sides will have to make sure that there is a deal, at least re medicines because apparently the EU imports more medicine from the UK than vice-versa so it is in the interests of both to tackle this and reach an agreement.

The more worrying thing is the worldwide shortage of certain medicines due to other factors.

jura2 Fri 09-Nov-18 14:20:20

... and aspirin lemongrove? Really - we are talking about life saving drugs and cancer treatments here - not flipping aspirin sad

How shallow, callous and cruel you can be (there are other words I could use, but I will restrain myself - with great difficulty).

MarthaBeck Fri 09-Nov-18 13:46:13

Some still believe the story in the Daily Express and Mail about bent bananas etc, so much fake news about the EU from sectors of our media, we have all been subjected to that acute negative anti eu brainwashing. No wonder the media across the EU are now scrutinising those disgraceful fake stories and mocking us for believing so much false propaganda. Brainwashed Brits has become now a commonly used statement.

lemongrove Fri 09-Nov-18 13:26:38

Why would a deal be a ‘fudged’ one, it will be a deal, the result of both sides trying to find compromises as both sides want to continue with as easy as possible trading.
Our own Parliament, and government is hardly a ‘colossus’
crystal but even if you consider it is, at least it’s our own one.grin
jura you weren’t the first to point out we are an island and may have supply problems, I remember reading that the day after the referendum result.What is fruitless though, is the endless ‘OMG we won’t have any aspirin!’ Type comments.

jura2 Fri 09-Nov-18 09:37:47

When I mentionned here a few months ago, that as an Island, the UK would face very particular problems with all kind of supplies - the reaction from some was not particularly ... nice ;)

Hope they understand better now- as for Raab- beggars belief he has only realised this now sad !?! What a utter mess- if anyone still trusts this Government to deliver a good deal for Britain - I don't know what would convince them.

crystaltipps Fri 09-Nov-18 07:21:17

It’s interesting that our own Brexit secretary admits he didn’t have a clue about the importance of the Port of Dover to our industries and food supply. It’s no surprise we are in the current mess with so many incompetents negotiating.

crystaltipps Thu 08-Nov-18 21:19:29

I’m sure T May will get a fudged deal from the EU but whether it is to anyone’s liking is another issue. Life will go on with our own overblown colossus of a government running us all into the ground.

MaizieD Thu 08-Nov-18 20:31:37

I just gave you some (above)....not that you like it of course.

Where?

lemongrove Thu 08-Nov-18 19:01:51

Another thing you won’t like....T May will get a deal from the EU and we will soon leave that colossus run by overblown and greedy officials, and life will go on.smile

lemongrove Thu 08-Nov-18 18:56:37

I just gave you some (above)....not that you like it of course.

MaizieD Thu 08-Nov-18 18:43:20

Don’t believe any old article you read Varian it’s usually not gospel and written by someone with an axe to grind.

You get all your information from impeccably unbiased sources, then, lemon? Do share them, I'm sure we'd all benefit from some good, unbiased information.

crystaltipps Thu 08-Nov-18 18:11:18

U.K. has the lowest growth out of 28 EU countries.
www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-uk-economy-eu-european-commission-autumn-forecasts-gdp-a8623716.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1541676387

varian Wed 07-Nov-18 20:49:31

I do not believe " any old article I read" but I have yet to see any article which shows that --

1. The referendum vote has not already inflicted considerable damage on our economy and our standing in the world.

2. If any kind of brexit is allowed to happen, everything will get much worse.

3. A "no-deal" brexit would be utterly catastrophic.

lemongrove Wed 07-Nov-18 20:40:04

Don’t believe any old article you read Varian it’s usually not gospel and written by someone with an axe to grind.
Of course Germany has taken it hard, we are a big net contributor to the EU, and Germany and France pretty much run the EU.They had big expansionist plans to continue hoovering up the poorer Eastern Europe countries, having an EU army and generally wanting to be a force to be reckoned with.
Trade is now considered only a part of it.They will certainly miss our money.

varian Wed 07-Nov-18 20:29:49

India had said, when May went to India promoting UK trade links, that they are in no rush to do a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain and will demand easier access for Indians nationals to migrate to Britain as part of any future trade relationship. The Indian High Commissioner has since reinforced this view.

The Germans think of the Brits as fellow ‘Northerners’ that work hard, share similar values and have the misfortune of not being born in Germany ? of all the EU countries, the Germans have taken the Brexit decision most to heart. They now firmly believe in the European project and anyone, who rejects it, is seen as rejecting them.

www.libdemvoice.org/what-other-countries-think-about-brexit-or-is-it-the-great-british-break-off-58372.html

varian Tue 06-Nov-18 10:24:26

This piece from a German journalist reveals how the UK has become the laughing stock of the world.-

"The UK is making a spectacular demonstration of how to make a fool of yourself with the entire world looking on. What was once the most powerful empire on Earth can’t even find its way to the door without tripping over its own feet. When Theresa May arrives in Brussels with yet another proposal, you can be sure it won’t be worth the paper it’s written 24 hours later. She either presents ideas that Brussels has long ago rejected, her plans have been rejected by her own party, or Boris Johnson tears them to pieces in his newspaper column.

No deal is better than a bad deal? If you are convinced of this: go ahead. A hard Brexit will cost the rest of us a lot – there’s no question about that – but it is nothing compared to what is awaiting you Britons."

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/06/britain-foolish-decline-boris-johnson

varian Mon 05-Nov-18 15:11:16

Thanks for posting that link Jalima. It's quite extraordinary.