Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shopkeeper told off

(43 Posts)
Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 08:42:21

I read today of a shopkeeper who, whilst his back was turned, had his tablet stolen off his desk. Unknown to the thief, he was directly facing a cc tv camera which filmed the whole thing. The shopkeeper printed off some photos of the thief and distributed them in the local area, asking if anyone recognised him.
The shopkeeper subsequently received a visit from the police, not to tell him his stolen property had been found, but to "tell him off" for breaching the thief's data protection. The police say that "only they have the authority to investigate, solve and prosecute those responsible for a crime", even though the police force is hugely underfunded, undermanned and recently admitted that they will no longer always come out for thefts and burglaries.

My feeling is that, if you're a thief, you have to accept that you run the same risks of privacy violation as your victims did when you stole from them. Do you agree, or do you feel the shopkeeper was wrong to do what he did?

ps: he got his tablet back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45209127

jenpax Fri 17-Aug-18 08:55:03

Absolutely the right thing assuming that the thief was an adult! it would be different if a child was involved. however the thief was breaking the law and deserved the bad attention his crime generated it

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 08:58:10

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45209127

Previous link didn't work.

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Aug-18 09:10:17

Good for the shopkeeper in this case. You can see where problems arise though. Photos being distributed of the wrong person, either maliciously or in error, people taking the law into their own hands. We’ve had a couple of cases on our local Facebook site recently where people have been “named and shamed”, with photos, for things they simply didn’t do. It was shocking how eager people were to jump on the bandwagon without any way of knowing the truth of the matter. The police are seriously underfunded and unable to investigate as they’d want to. That needs addressing urgently, imho. But I agree (reluctantly) with their advice.

sluttygran Fri 17-Aug-18 10:04:47

Well said, Maggiemaybe

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 17-Aug-18 10:05:57

I suppose the police didn't like someone almost doing their job for them and it's amazing what people find to complain about these days.
The shopkeeper could have been sued by the thief, do you think?
However, all's well that ends well.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 17-Aug-18 10:15:10

I agree entirely with Maggiemaybe on this. The shopkeeper should have handed his CTV film to the police, not taken the law into his own hands.

HildaW Fri 17-Aug-18 10:19:18

I think the police point of view stems from the legal side of any prosecution. When victims 'muddy the waters' the criminal's defence can argue that he was not fairly treated.
The police will always say that you need to report straight to them first and then perhaps work with them with the evidence you have collected.
Of course some people have low expectations of what the police can and actually do - and they may well have a point with ever decreasing police resources.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 10:25:56

The BBC understands the images would not have breached data protection rules as they were owned by Mr Callaghan.

Does this change anyone's opinion? And if you know that the police are no longer responding to "petty crimes", due to staff cutbacks, would you not be surprised that they apparently do have sufficient officers available; not to investigate the theft, but to reprimand you?

HannahLoisLuke Fri 17-Aug-18 10:28:27

Sorry everybody, I'm with the shopkeeper.
I'm sick of reading and hearing everyday of criminals getting off Scot free because of data protection and other acts seemingly designed to protect the rights of the criminal rather than the victim. Time and again we hear of cctv evidence that clearly shows the crime being committed and the face, number plate etc of the wrongdoer being dismissed as evidence as it breaches the rights of the criminal.
Sick of it all. Time for proper police investigation and justice to prevail.
I could rant on all day, but I'm sure you get the gist.

moobox Fri 17-Aug-18 10:28:55

Tere was the Kent incident in July where residents were ordered to empty the large paddling pool every night in case burglars drowned in it

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Aug-18 10:41:41

If he had the CCTV images he should most definitely not have printed and circulated them himself. He could have easily handed the tape to police and handed them also a print out of the culprit. That would have been useful.
They probably knew him anyway!

We really must resist the temptation to go it alone, even though the police are short staffed. Where does the “do it yourself” mentality lead? And for which crimes does it seem appropriate? Where do you stop? And whilst it may be satisfying to find the offender, are we likely to muddy waters or alert criminals to being “onto” them messing up possible prosecution?
Having worked with offenders/ex offenders and with victims too, I think taking the law into our own hands is also potentially dangerous.

TillyWhiz Fri 17-Aug-18 10:48:01

I think that with the lack of police resources these days and the poor sentencing that occurs, more and more people will act as this shopkeeper did. It worked after all.

GabriellaG Fri 17-Aug-18 11:21:30

You don't have to ask permission from police if you want to put up posters when a pet, person or bike has gone missing. His tablet went missing. Tbe fact that it was in the hand of the thief in the photo, matters not.
Police have no powers to prosecute, they can only obtain evidence and the CPS would never sanction prosecuting such a case.

Jaycee5 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:25:52

I would publish it even if I knew the police were going to tell me off. They didn't give much time to burglaries even before the present cuts and seem to give shoplifting even less priority.
The Police aren't particularly clued up on data protection anyway. You have to inform people that you have cctv with a notice and if people ask for a tape of any filming of them, they have to be given it but the police themselves film people in the street and put the pictures on line. They don't have any dispensation under the DPA. They have had to pay compensation if they film someone vulnerable (they put on TV a picture of a man who was having a mental breakdown and was considering suicide and had to pay him) but not if it is someone committing a crime. It is also not true that people's faces have to be blanked out unless they are in a situation or place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

EmilyHarburn Fri 17-Aug-18 11:31:38

I'm with the shop keeper. The police would have not seen this theft as a priority.

floorflock Fri 17-Aug-18 11:54:13

Definitely in support of the shopkeeper. The police don't want to know and don't have the time - either excuse doesn't cut it!
You made a great point Chewbacca - as follows - 'And if you know that the police are no longer responding to "petty crimes", due to staff cutbacks, would you not be surprised that they apparently do have sufficient officers available; not to investigate the theft, but to reprimand you?' Priorities eh!

FlorenceFlower Fri 17-Aug-18 12:00:21

I feel for the shopkeeper and understand why he printed off the photo. Glad he got his tablet back.

Appreciate the legal issues but in our road we have had a lot of burglaries and many residents have installed CCTV - although when images have been sent to the police, they seem to be too busy to do anything about the images.

I have been attending the local police meetings and the shortage of staff, staff vacancy rates, and lack of resources including transport is appalling. The officers spend a lot of time travelling from one part of our area to another, time consuming and not at all cost effective or efficient I would imagine.

Hope that this situation improves but can’t see any likelihood if it, I’m afraid.

Riverdaffyd Fri 17-Aug-18 12:30:17

I agree with the shopkeeper, I would have done the same thing in his shoes! Instead of going round to tell him off they could have spent the time looking for the thief! It would have been better use of their time.

icanhandthemback Fri 17-Aug-18 12:38:10

My neighbour's son was seriously beaten by some youths in the area and had his jaw broken in 4 places plus teeth knocked out. Evidence was lost because initially the police didn't take the offence seriously, they thought it was just a "youth fight with alcohol involved." We all knew the perpetrators, they were boasting about it in the local pub but it was difficult to get anybody to give evidence so our neighbour put out a post on social media asking for help and offering a small reward. Everyone who came forward was dismissed by the police on the grounds she had compromised the evidence by using social media. The consequences were that the perpetrators got away scot free. It seems to me that our legal system is entirely biased towards the offender unless it is a normally law abiding citizen who doesn't put their trust in the police.

icanhandthemback Fri 17-Aug-18 12:38:39

Sorry, some terrible grammar in there!

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Aug-18 12:56:26

Re the police community support officers, CCTV and data protection, you now need CCTV signage which acts as a disclosure to those who could potentially be within the frame of your camera.
Maybe this shop wasn't compliant?
Do we know?
Were the PCSOs just generally warning about data handling?
Was there anyone else in shot?
Also, when you transfer data to another business it is potentially a data breach as you are sharing data with another organisation. Clearly this shopkeeper has shared with a number of local businesses.
I think once again the BBC report is rather slim. It leaves us with too many questions and too few answers, unfortunately.
Obviously delighted he got his tablet back!

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Aug-18 13:00:28

Sorry Jaycee5 - I see you mentioned CCTV notices.

Aepgirl Fri 17-Aug-18 14:09:30

Since when were victims of crime treated like criminals? If the police won't/can't do their job (unless it's prosecuting motorists) then it's inevitable that people will take the law into their own hands. Well done the shopkeeper.

Diggingdoris Fri 17-Aug-18 14:12:09

This was in the town where I live, and the shopkeeper was advising people to watch out for this thief as there had been several break-ins in shops near to his. I support his idea.