Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn in trouble

(142 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 09:18:50

John McDonald gave an interview yesterday concerned the party could split.

A spokeswoman for UNITE just gave an interview, she thinks Corbyn is naive, fights for the underdog even if they are wrong. Is guided by the wrong people such as Seumas Milne who are not labour members.

The party is not now the party she has always known.

Then praised John McDonald

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 19:06:34

grandad 1943, what are you getting narky about? I have not said or suggested you should not say what you believe or wish .

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 19:04:13

Thanks Annie, but what is the answer to the question?

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 19:03:15

Maisie, with respect it is not for you to tell varian or any poster what they are or not allowed to ask.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 19:02:41

Devorgilla, yes a united Ireland could be governed from Belfast if that was the wish of a majority of the whole people of Ireland.

Perhaps a referendum could be held, or on the other hand that could be the wrong thing to suggest at the present time. smile

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 19:01:46

Why?

MaizieD Mon 03-Sep-18 18:59:00

You're not allowed to ask that question, varian.

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 18:57:25

OK Annie Why do you refer to John McDonnell as John McDonald? I'd really like to know.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 18:56:25

Anniebach, I will say whatever I believe and wish to say on this forum without reference to you and your obsession with Jeremy Corbyn.

Devorgilla Mon 03-Sep-18 18:52:48

Grandad1943 - no reason why, if united, it couldn't be equally democratically governed from Belfast. Stormont is the more impressive building.

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 18:20:45

Curious varian? You have held your curiosity in check for nearly three years !

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 18:19:20

Grandad, you do not live in N.I. and you have no ambition to be PM, well you haven’t said you have .

POGS Mon 03-Sep-18 18:18:25

Nightowl

I totally accept your point re bringing your name into a thread, albeit by using an old thread to make a point that had mentioned your name. I would like to apologise.

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 18:10:35

I'm not defending him Annie. I was just curious to know why you call him by another name. (I do know a John McDonald who is a very nice chap)

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 17:56:07

Anniebach quote [ snip>>> He (Corbyn) supported a United Ireland<<<snip]

Anniebach, I and many others support a united Ireland and due to Brexit a growing number in Northern Ireland now support that also.

The day when the whole of Ireland is democratically governed from Dublin may not be far off, and for me, that's the way it should be if a majority in the north democratically demonstrate that is their wish.

Devorgilla Mon 03-Sep-18 17:43:40

Ireland was only ever united under the English for any length of time although for about a year around 1011 it was 'united' under Brian Boru. I put that in inverted commas as the very uneasy unification broke down very quickly. Just because, today, you are a small island of two distinct parts does not mean that you must be united into one.

Day6 Mon 03-Sep-18 17:30:23

"But he (ken Livingstone) is his own man and is arguably the reason that London managed without racial violence for so long."

What a strange argument. By that token Labour's Sadiq Khan IS somehow responsible for the awful and continuing spate of murderous knife crimes and shootings in London. confused

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 17:24:08

Because I can’t spell varian ? Or perhaps I choose not to? Take your pick. Sweet to see a lib defending s far left politician, but Clegg kept Cammeron in No 10

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 17:17:12

Who's John McDonald?

I have heard of Corbyn's sidekick John McDonnell.

If that's who you mean, Annie, why do you call him by another name?

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 17:15:02

Silly me, as if Sinn Fein leaders would have any connection with the IRA

Corbyn attended a memorial service for deceased IRA members, but not for the innocent people who died in Omagh .

What of the people who want to remain part of the U.K. trisher?

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 17:11:23

grin excuse a grin trisher but Gerry Adams and pals were leading the IRA, they were not just a cosy small political party.Corbyn invited IRA members to Parliament for a friendly cuppa just weeks after the Brighton Hotel bombing.

trisher Mon 03-Sep-18 17:05:19

I support a united Ireland as well Annie. It seems to me totally ridiculous to draw a border across an island and pronounce them 2 different countries. And actually he talked to Sinn Fein who were and are a political party.

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 17:02:57

that £3 membership policy was one of Milibands worse!

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 16:59:51

The nine Momentum applicants have been voted onto the NEC. Corbyn safe, democracy ? Wait for the posts saying democracy at it’s best . Nothing democratic in selling votes for £3 when long standing members pay in full.

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 15:55:32

It wasn’t you Trisher It was a blue link .

Corbyn did not keep any avenues opened. He supported the IRA. He said when on his recent visit to N.I. He supported a United Ireland, no want to be PM should say this , the PM of the U.K. is PM for all including the people of N.I. Who want to stay part of the U.K. this statement alone shows he wants what the IRA wanted.

How can you give him credit for being part of it when he voted against it?

nightowl Mon 03-Sep-18 15:01:54

I think it’s a very different matter to post showing concern for someone who hasn’t been seen for a while Jalima and to bring someone’s name up as part of a disagreement. But I think you know that.