Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn in trouble

(141 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 09:18:50

John McDonald gave an interview yesterday concerned the party could split.

A spokeswoman for UNITE just gave an interview, she thinks Corbyn is naive, fights for the underdog even if they are wrong. Is guided by the wrong people such as Seumas Milne who are not labour members.

The party is not now the party she has always known.

Then praised John McDonald

loopyloo Sun 02-Sep-18 10:12:17

I really wish they would form a new party . I would like to see a party that is pro Brexit but ready to form new links with Europe ( am with Macron on this.) And the rest of the world. Which encourages enterprise but in a controlled fashion.Also phases out the 11 plus and church schools and invests in education for all.
Would like to see the private schools lose charity status too.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 10:31:19

Then praised John McDonald
Frying pan and fire come to mind.

This is not what many people would want, including Labour MPs, a foul-mouthed misogynist leading the party.

Grandad1943 Sun 02-Sep-18 10:44:39

Let's face it both Corbyn and May have their problems. However, in both parties, those causing all the trouble do not have "the guts" to come forward with a constitutional challenge under the rules of both parties.

That situation and the people behind that situation I have absolutely no respect for.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 10:49:58

I agree Jalima but it is what UNITE and Momentum want , this is what Corbyn has done to the party. I think MP’s would go with the unions if they could free the party of Momentum . All this going on and where is Corbyn?

We didn’t hear of anti semitism in the party until Corbyn became leader.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 10:57:48

The fear is not a challenge for the leadership , waste of time.

A split in the party ? Big problem. It happened when Shirley Williams , David Owens & Co split from the party, the tories won, the labour vote was split. Grassroots members feared the far left . They were a party of 4, what if a much larger breakaway party emerged ?

Grandad1943 Sun 02-Sep-18 11:09:35

The Labour party is one part of the wider Labour movent in the country.

All the trade unions have done since 2014 would be to make their voice much more heard in that movement. Gone are the days when those union members paid for the Labour party only to witness its leaders fail to attend any of their conferences or address any of the Thatcher legislation that so restricts the workplace protection those unions can give

Indeed it can be argued that it was the actions of Blair/Brown & co that brought Momentum into being. In that, it was grassroots Labour party and trade union members that were at the base of Momentum at its startup and are still there.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:15:49

So the spokeswoman for UNITE was telling porkies , interesting .

Grandad1943 Sun 02-Sep-18 11:20:06

Liam fox has just stated on the Andrew Marr program " changing the leader does not change the problems".

What a "gutless waster" after undermining Theresa May month after month in regard to Brexit.

These people should either put up or shut up.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:20:28

The spokeswoman for UNITE said she was a long standing member of the Labour Party but she is now discombobulated

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:22:19

This is a thread on the Labour Party, bringing the Tory party into it is just the usual attempt to divert from the topic

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 11:23:46

We didn’t hear of anti semitism in the party until Corbyn became leader.
You see once again Annie you try to place all the ills of the Labour Party at Corbyn's door. This simply isn't true. In 2005-
While leaving a City Hall LGBT reception in February 2005, Livingstone objected to an Evening Standard photographer "harassing" other guests. When asked for a quote by Evening Standard journalist Oliver Finegold, Livingstone likened him to "a German war criminal." When Finegold objected on the grounds that he himself was Jewish, Livingstone accused him of acting, "just like a concentration camp guard," and asserting that he (Finegold) worked for the "reactionary bigots... who supported fascism" at the Daily Mail.[249][250] Although the Evening Standard initially did not deem the comments newsworthy, they were leaked to The Guardian, resulting in accusations of anti-Semitism against Livingstone from the Board of Deputies of British Jews.[251] There were many calls for Livingstone to apologise, including from Tony Blair, the London Assembly, a Holocaust survivors group and his deputy Gavron (the daughter of a Holocaust survivor), but Livingstone refused.
It seems there is news, fake news and downright lies and you are posting the latter.

Grandad1943 Sun 02-Sep-18 11:25:29

When the "gang of four" split from Labour it soon became obvious that it was not a major problem for the party

It very soon became a major problem for the gang of four as they had no trade union money.

They were soon never to be seen again. smile

Grandad1943 Sun 02-Sep-18 11:30:38

Anniebach showing her true conservative party colours in this thread once again.

Anyway I am off for a good Sunday lunch.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:32:09

grandad , you have accused me of lying, an apology please

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:34:45

But Trisher Livingstone? Close friend of Corbyn who was suspended by the NEC , then left the party with a glowing tribute from Corbyn

POGS Sun 02-Sep-18 11:37:13

I am not in the least bit surprised at John McDonnell's intervention.

I have said from day one of Corbyn becoming Leader he will one day become to be viewed as the ' useful tool ' and McDonnell will be the eventual chosen one.

Grandad

We all have our opinions as to which MP's are ' Gutless Wasters '.

I think what Liam Fox said " changing the leader does not change the problems". has a ring of truth about it actually.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:48:59

I said the same about McDonald He tried to get support for the party leadership but failed, then he put Diane Abbott up for party leader, she went out in the first round, he then put Corbyn up for the leadership.

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 11:52:27

Oh yes Ken Livingston- too left wing for Tony Blair and therefore (according to some) too left wing to win an election and yet stood as an Independent in 2000 and was elected Mayor of London.-introduced the Oyster card, Congestion Charge and many measures for equality. Returned to the party and was re-elected in 2004. Won the Olympics for London.
OK so he has a big mouth and sometimes puts his foot in it. But he is his own man and is arguably the reason that London managed without racial violence for so long.
Of course he should be praised.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:54:59

And suspended by the NEC

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 12:05:50

So dealt with-as Corbyn has said people will be.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:09:11

Brilliant speech from Gordon Brown at the Jewish Labour Movement Conference this morning.

Labour should immediately adopt the internationally agreed definition of anti semetism

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:11:53

Attacks on Jewish schools, synagogues have tripled and quadrupled in the last four years

Devorgilla Sun 02-Sep-18 12:13:21

Yes, AB, listening to it now. Brilliant speech.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:20:16

Devor, he is my politic idol, he and Sarah do so much for education for children around the world.