Gransnet forums

News & politics

Offshore windfarm

(33 Posts)
Caledonai14 Fri 07-Sep-18 11:28:23

I drove past this two days ago. There are many miles of Scottish coast to enjoy if you don't like looking at offshore windmills and these will supply 70% of the electricity for Scotland's 3rd largest city - Aberdeen.

They are not as troublesome as the plastic being washed up on our beaches and I can't see what's not to like in these austere times when clean energy is vital.

Hope I've posted this link correctly

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-45446189

I know wind farms cause division but I'd like to know if anyone has changed their views over time, or if anyone knows of other ways we could keep it clean.

I'm very proud of Scotland's record in this direction and have never had an issue with wind, tidal or solar energy.

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 13:54:07

Not nuclear energy.

There are cancer and leukaemia clusters in areas near to nuclear power stations.

Unfortunately, we don't have much say in their construction.

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 17:04:48

Global warning has been caused by burning hydrocarbons for industry, heating and electricity generation. 10,000s, if not 100,000s of people have already died in extreme weather events caused by Global warning, while the number of people who have died in the past and are dying still from the gross air pollution in cities and industrial areas caused by these fuels must run into millions.

The very small cancer peaks around nuclear facilities have been investigated many times and there is no clear evidence that it is specifically related to the radiation. Some studies do, but others have related it to the sudden influx and high mobility of workers into areas, that until their arrival had been quiet rural areas with little mixing with other groups. Other researchers have found similar peaks in other areas. In other words the jury is out.

Either way, compared with the human devastation of using hydro carbons, the danger around nuclear plants is minimal.

Caledonai14 Sat 08-Sep-18 17:31:57

The cost of demolishing and cleaning the Dounreay site will be £2.32 Billion by the time it is complete in 2033.

The most deadly waste, which could be made to make a bomb, is being flown to the USA from John o Groats airport, Wick, in exchange for imported radioactive material which is said to be used medically.

However, the runways at Wick are too short for the Globemaster planes carrying the highly dangerous waste to take off fully fuelled (nobody checked, apparently) so the planes have to land again at Lossiemouth on the Moray Firth to top up on fuel before heading for the US.

www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1469643/deadly-nuclear-waste-flights-resume-from-wick/

I can't remember whose quote this is, but I agree we do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children. Therefore windpower gets my vote.

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 19:52:23

It is not an either or, its a question of both. If the wind stops blowing, or doesn't blow at all, where do you get your power from?

Caledonai14 Sat 08-Sep-18 23:13:07

Perhaps from something which doesn't need quite so much waste management?

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 23:37:37

In other words the jury is out.
I don't think it is.

paddyann Sat 08-Sep-18 23:43:58

Scotland can be self sufficient in renewable energy IF we get the backup from Westminster ...its not a devolved issue so when they pulled the plug on projects there was bugger all we could do about it .We still have a moratorium on Fracking though so that wont happen here, for which I am very grateful.We live on a fault line and fracking would be disastrous for us