Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees Mogg

(602 Posts)
oldbatty Wed 12-Sep-18 13:43:48

I don't think it was fair to target his children but they don't really seem like ordinary folk do they?

petra Tue 30-Oct-18 16:24:47

GrannyGravy
Not only the biggest in Europe but the biggest in the world BlackRock, are keeping their base in London.
I think we can all agree that a company this huge knows how many beans make 5 grin

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 13:57:48

t-18 13:48:12
The Brexitiers (sic) on the forum seem to offer no explanation of why Jacob Rees Mogg does not sever his commercial relationship with Somerset Asset Management

That lets some of us out then!

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 13:49:44

What some boring old duffer with a beard who never delivers what he promises?
oldbatty thlshock

hush, hush, it's half-term, there may be children about.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 13:48:12

The Brexitiers on the forum seem to offer no explanation of why Jacob Rees Mogg does not sever his commercial relationship with Somerset Asset Management
Perhaps, as a remainer, I can indulge in a bit of womansplaining grin

Perhaps because Somerset Asset Management does not exist any more, so it could be difficult to sever a commercial relationship with something that isn't there.

Could that be a reason?

Anniebach Tue 30-Oct-18 13:35:02

You got it batty ?

POGS Tue 30-Oct-18 13:18:29

Grandad

" Oh, Mawbroon we are on the old " sexism" argument in the thread now, are we.

That card is so often these days played when people of either sex see an argument being lost."
--

Funny that's how I feel about posters playing the 'Brexit ' card !

That's why I posted this in response to one of your posts :-

Grandad

" The Brexitiers on the forum seem to offer no explanation of why Jacob Rees Mogg does not sever his commercial relationship with Somerset Asset Management."
-

Who are the Brexiteers you are referring to?

Are you another silly poster that believes if a poster debates/challenges your view they are by default obviously a Brexiteer.?

You hold an opinion others hold theirs but this often thought and posted stupidity that only Brexiteers are discussing a particular topic is getting, no has gone beyond common sense."

oldbatty Tue 30-Oct-18 13:12:32

What some boring old duffer with a beard who never delivers what he promises?

Oh hang on, that's somebody else.

Anniebach Tue 30-Oct-18 13:03:31

niggly, brings back memories of waiting for Father Christmas ?

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 12:55:24

Therefore does Jacob Rees-Mogg agree with what is company are advising in regard to the detriment brexit will cause to the UK, or does he agree with his own statements in relation to Britain having a "golden future" outside of the European Union.
Well, I can't say what is absolutely in his mind, only what I hear him say, but I think that what he is saying is that there may be uncertain times in the near future but that the future will be golden.

I hope his optimism comes true.

nigglynellie Tue 30-Oct-18 12:52:31

You're clearly indispensable Grandad and we await your return with bated breath and barely contained anticipation!
Annie, it's going to be a challenge!!???

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 12:28:03

thlgrinthlgrin

Anniebach Tue 30-Oct-18 12:17:16

What can we do for at least a few hours? Difficult calming down the exciting anticipation isn’t it ?

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Oct-18 12:12:12

Oh, Mawbroon we are on the old " sexism" argument in the thread now, are we.

That card is so often these days played when people of either sex see an argument being lost.

Anyway, I have just been asked to go into the office on what was supposed to be a day off. Therefore you will not have to see any more of my "manslpaining" for at least a few hours.

Bye everybody. grin

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 11:55:08

Oh Grandad if only you could have resisted the lure of “mansplaining” (your post of 10.48) thlgrin
Some “little women “ may prefer fluffy kittens but others such Christine Lagarde and almost certainly some grans among our members, do know something other than just how many beans make five.

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:46:59

Jalima1108 Quote[I think there are many companies thinking of moving certain funds to Dublin; who knows who voted for Remain or Brexit?]End Quote

Yes, I agree Jalima1108 there are many companies moving funds, production, transport systems and much more out of Britain because of Brexit.

However, there is only one company among the above that has as a part owner a person that is a leading Brexitier and member of parliament who had stated that the United Kingdom would be far better off outside the European Union.

Therefore does Jacob Rees-Mogg agree with what is company are advising in regard to the detriment brexit will cause to the UK, or does he agree with his own statements in relation to Britain having a "golden future" outside of the European Union.

At present he seems to want his cake and eat it, or should that be "his money and Brexit Statement".
I believe the statement "being two-faced" may better fit the bill

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:43:29

I did hear on the news that the biggest fund manager (sorry the name escapes me) in Europe has stated it will remain in the UK.

Any fund manager/management company will always look for the best investment for clients money, that's what they are paid for.

Agree that there are wealthy politicians on both side of the house. Just not posted about on this forum ???

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:21:30

I'm not defending Jacob R-M - rather the fact that there are many other MPs, many Labour ones and Labour peers, who are also intensely relaxed about becoming filthy rich.
It's double standards I dislike.

And I was also trying to explain how fund management works. I think there are many companies thinking of moving certain funds to Dublin; who knows who voted for Remain or Brexit?

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:17:07

On the day that article fifty was signed by Theresa May, David Davis who was at that time appointed the senior United Kingdom negotiator for Brexit stated, "these will be the easiest negotiations ever concluded"
Perhaps that's why he's not in charge any more grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:16:43

Jalima I was undecided before the referendum and ended up asking my AC and they were all for Brexit, so I voted for them as they will be here around a lot longer than me!!!

I just want the whole thing to be over, either way, I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of b****y Brexit.

If we stay apparently we shall loose some of our "privileges " rebates etc. If we leave our world as we know it will end on 29/3/2019. Lose - Lose situation!!!!

POGS Tue 30-Oct-18 11:15:56

Grandad

" The Brexitiers on the forum seem to offer no explanation of why Jacob Rees Mogg does not sever his commercial relationship with Somerset Asset Management."

Who are the Brexiteers you are referring to?

Are you another silly poster that believes if a poster debates/challenges your view they are by default obviously a Brexiteer.?

You hold an opinion others hold theirs but this often thought and posted stupidity that only Brexiteers are discussing a particular topic is getting, no has gone beyond common sense.

To a degree I can see where you are coming from calling Rees Mogg a hypocrite but I do not share your intensity over the Somerset Capital Management to the degree you do. I think at times using another ' investment fund' opening in Ireland is a stick to hit a man over the head you obviously despise , after all it cannot have gone unnoticed by many on various threads you have been quite scathing about Rees Mogg and his family . Your choice I agree .

If Somerset Capital Management moved it's HQ from the UK lock stock and barrel to Ireland then I will also query Rees Mogg and any hypocrisy involved but I would do so understanding what his role within the company is at that time and not by assuming he has a ' decision making ' role .

Whilst Somerset Capital Management remains 'based' in the UK and has other ' investment funds' world wide I think the company is being astute in it's business affairs and looking after it's clients by opening another ' investment fund ' in Ireland. I genuinely do not see why Rees Mogg should sever ties with the company no more than I think Rees Mogg should relinquish his position as an MP because he holds a different view from any law made by a democratic vote in Parliament that he holds a different opinion over. My choice.

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:15:48

Jalima1108 Quote[I don't think even the staunchest Brexiteer has claimed that Brexit would be easy]End Quote

On the day that article fifty was signed by Theresa May, David Davis who was at that time appointed the senior United Kingdom negotiator for Brexit stated, "these will be the easiest negotiations ever concluded" grin

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:05:07

their stance = SCM's stance.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:04:39

I would add that I do not read either of the above "newspapers"
I did read the link GrannyGravy and their stance seems perfectly plain and sensible to me, as no-one knows - because the EU have an input in Brexit too!

Thinking it would be the best in the long-term for the UK does not mean that people do not recognise there may be wobbles along the way.

Goodness, I could almost convince myself that Brexit was the right decision (but not quite).

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:01:42

From your link:

“During, and possibly after, this period there is likely to be considerable uncertainty as to the position of the UK and the arrangements which will apply to its relationships with the EU.”
The document continued: “As [the firm is] based in the UK and a fund’s investments may be located in the UK or the EU, a fund may as a result be affected by the events described above.”

I don't think even the staunchest Brexiteer has claimed that Brexit would be easy, that our relationship with the EU may be uncertain for a time and that funds invested in the EU may not be affected during the Brexit process and for a while afterwards. No-one knows. That is why that particular European fund has been moved to an EU country. Investors may be from anywhere in the world, including the EU. The firm itself will still be based in the UK which does not look as if SCM is worried about the future of the UK post-Brexit.

But there is no point in explaining more.
except to say being relaxed about people becoming filthy rich was a phrase coined by a Labour minister.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Oct-18 10:56:13

I would add that I do not read either of the above "newspapers"