Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we ensure views on Gransnet are given a broader hearin?

(144 Posts)
MarthaBeck Tue 18-Sep-18 16:53:17

Yesterday, I suffered a long boring train journey which was running rather late. Fortunately, I had my iPad and the opportunity to read far more constructive contributions to gransnet than I normally do. I became very aware that right across our Forum subject matters, a very high percentage of the comments were invaluable in the way they disseminated information and helped to provide informed opinions.

That focussed my mind on could those contributions be put to far better use, especially by perhaps focusing decision makers to take greater account of the massive talent and ranges of views on gransnet? Particularly, those which suggest solutions that are often outside the box but extremely constructive in their approach to problem solving.

My question is simply how can gransnet members influence
decision makers and bureaucrats to help improve our society by listen more and taking greater account of what we have to say?

I suppose I am asking the impossible and seeking a utopia
which is beyond reach. Mainly Imhave to accept because our politicians and bureaucrats will always have their own agendas and rarely listen to views outside their tribal political circles. I must becoming more cynical.

Rufus2 Sat 29-Sep-18 10:33:11

we get a good discussion going on the subject.
Well!; So much for that! sad The silent minority have spoken, unless it's happening somewhere else.?
It's now a week without any responses, so I suggest we give it a rest and than I can regale you with my "pseudo-cyst on the pancreas" medical bulletin, with nobody to deter from visiting their GP. On the other hand it could entice someone to do just that! grin I just have to organise my notes.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I lost 3 days last week". Tommy Cooper

Rufus2 Sun 23-Sep-18 09:44:10

I have fraternised with many Australians Rufus, in fact some may even be relatives. Is that allowed?
Of course it is Jalima! I tripped up trying to separate DBH from "fraternising" into "courting", but I was too smart for my own good! Sorry! sad

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Sep-18 19:38:47

ps OldMeg it's more red than orange.

All that Shiraz.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Sep-18 19:37:58

It was on another thread OldMeg
So I think this one has got a bit side-tracked.

I flew over Oz once. It looked orange.
You didn't fly over the rainforests then!

I have fraternised with many Australians Rufus, in fact some may even be relatives. Is that allowed?

OldMeg Sat 22-Sep-18 14:32:43

I flew over Oz once. It looked orange.

I must have missed the Tipping the Shiraz over a Keyboard incident. It was maybe past my bedtime. If it was deliberate then I stand by my scandalous comment. If accidental then ?

Elegran Sat 22-Sep-18 14:29:40

Dear Grandad1943 As you feel you don't have time to start and keep an eye on a thread about men's aversion to getting medical advice, I have begun one. I hope that you are right and that the men on Gransnet will reply (as well as the women, of course) and that we get a good discussion going on the subject.

Rufus2 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:35:42

Jalima; Please stop confusing me now I've just overcome my earlier "shocking" accident confused
DBH = Dear Beloved Husband, from our Forum songsheet. Hope I'm not out of order? sad

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:24:03

is this the wrong thread? confused again

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:23:17

Thanks Rufus Yes, definitely impeccable taste wink
DBH confused ?

Rufus2 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:20:25

I've never known any self-respecting Australian to waste a drop of the red juice, Rufus's tale is quite shocking
Apart from DBH; Does that mean you've never fraternised with any? confused
I note that you quote only the platinum fare, which tells me that you're a lady of impeccable taste, just like my dear Vera who would have settled for nothing less; sadly she didn't make it.
High Season $4139; Shoulder $3899 Low$3269; same in either direction Adelaide - Darwin.
There' a Senior's discount fare which I can't find right now; never very much anyway and you're probably too young to qualify. You'll obviously tackle your travel agent on that.
OoRoo

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:12:13

It's a worrying sign when you keep repeating yourself Rufus, especially after only half a glass of Shiraz
wink

Rufus2 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:57:08

It’s when it gets to bonkers I shall worry
Maw; Don't you worry, I've got there first! sad I've done that in stereo and lost another message which should have been up there instead. Back to the drawing board!

Rufus2 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:48:48

Agree, it’s positively scandalous Jalima
OldMeg. You're not serious are you? Where are the Smileys? After I promised not to desert you, I turn my back to re-install another keyboard, the one I'm using right now, completely unsullied by Shiraz, so far, and I find you've joined with Jalima to ruin my credentials! Half-a-glass goes a long way when it's up-ended over a keyboard and into one's lap, and not being one to do things by halves, I'll have to remain alert next time i.e. start with a full glass! grin
Btw; I prefer "clever" over "zany"; I don't feel crazy, yet!

MawBroon Sat 22-Sep-18 12:33:26

Zany is good Rufus2 I’d be happy with that smile
It’s when it gets to bonkers I shall worry ??

Rufus2 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:16:04

OldMeg. You're not serious are you? Where are the Smileys? After I promised not to desert you, I turn my back to re-install another keyboard, the one I'm using right now, completely unsullied by Shiraz, so far, and I find you've joined with Jalima to ruin my credentials! Half-a-glass goes a long way when it's up-ended over a keyboard and into one's lap, and not being one to do things by halves, I'll have to remain alert next time i.e. start with a full glass! grin
Btw; I prefer "clever" over "zany"; I don't feel crazy, yet!

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:53:08

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 14:44:01

I've never known any self-respecting Australian to waste a drop of the red juice, Rufus's tale is quite shocking.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:23:05

Sacrilege...???

Or perhaps a that’s an ancient custom where ever he hails from? Is he from Oz perhaps, they have odd drinking rituals there. ?

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 14:20:24

Give me a glass of the red falling-down juice
I think Rufus likes a drop of that too OldMeg, but only drinks half and pours the rest over his keyboard
wink

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:14:17

Can’t claim any kudos for that party as I didn’t attend Rufus - I’m not much of a party animal. Give me a glass of the red falling-down juice and a couple of old friends any day instead.

However I’m totally with trisher on this and feel that your and Grandad’s contributions add a certain ....i was going to say ‘je ne sais quoi’....but that’s not true, I know exactly the ‘quoi’ - yours being a zany humour and granddad adds a certain political gravitas, both of which are sadly lacking, often.

Rufus2 Fri 21-Sep-18 13:57:00

Stick around Rufus and Grandad
OldMeg; I hear your call! I can't speak for Grandad of course, but I've no intention of leaving voluntarily (who's that booing?). grin. That would be completely disgraceful of me after that marvellous virtual birthday party you all gave me back in July. Like the tune says, the memory still lingers on.
Mind you, since then, I've been kicked out of a thread I started on behalf of Michelle who lives in "beige Bournemouth" on beige clothing and head scarves. It took off like wildfire, over 250 posts when I last looked, but when I said was out of my comfort zone seeing as how the topic had been shifted from beige wearing apparel, to beige house furnishings, I was given the flick. Michelle was highly amused by that, and no, she hadn't" set me up!" wink
Well, OldMeg; that developed into a long-winded monologue as usual; thanks again for your encouragement.
Btw; I've had no response from HQ yet on the "Humour" forum.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Sep-18 13:37:01

That's a really good idea Elegran, a few hints and tips for newbies, to help them get started, would work well.

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 13:34:33

I think that more cameraderie is needed, not less!
If you see a post by a name that you don’t recognise and it’s a post asking for help, don’t wade in urging them to grow a pair.Understandably, new posters will soon be put off.

Elegran Fri 21-Sep-18 13:17:26

Hi Lara
One way to make newcomers feel part of the community is to give them help to learn how to navigate the site, how to post, how to start a new thread, where the list of topics are (and thence the threads under each topic) , what to do if they find a post offensive or spammy, how to send a private message to another poster, where to find the meanings of acronyms and why posters can choose to use them (or not) and all the other practical details involved in being an active member of Gransnet.

Posters are often unused to online social networks, and frequently ask in the course of a conversation about all these things and more. Even for those who have used Facebook and so on, finding their way around the site is like being stranded in a strange town with no street map.

Could there be a page with a comprehensive tutorial (interactive with screenshots) to navigating and using the site, and could every new poster be welcomed with a PM containing a link to that tutorial? If anyone asks on the forum, seasoned posters could also direct them to it, and not have to reinvent the wheel by repeating "how-to-do-it" to each newby separately.

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 11:50:45

trisher, you addressed me, I replied