Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we ensure views on Gransnet are given a broader hearin?

(143 Posts)
MarthaBeck Tue 18-Sep-18 16:53:17

Yesterday, I suffered a long boring train journey which was running rather late. Fortunately, I had my iPad and the opportunity to read far more constructive contributions to gransnet than I normally do. I became very aware that right across our Forum subject matters, a very high percentage of the comments were invaluable in the way they disseminated information and helped to provide informed opinions.

That focussed my mind on could those contributions be put to far better use, especially by perhaps focusing decision makers to take greater account of the massive talent and ranges of views on gransnet? Particularly, those which suggest solutions that are often outside the box but extremely constructive in their approach to problem solving.

My question is simply how can gransnet members influence
decision makers and bureaucrats to help improve our society by listen more and taking greater account of what we have to say?

I suppose I am asking the impossible and seeking a utopia
which is beyond reach. Mainly Imhave to accept because our politicians and bureaucrats will always have their own agendas and rarely listen to views outside their tribal political circles. I must becoming more cynical.

Elegran Tue 18-Sep-18 17:15:23

People from gransnet HQ are often asked "What do gransnetters think?" on subjects in the news. They give interviews to journalists and go onto radio and TV programmes. I am sure they would appreciate an email from you with any other ideas, at contactus@{gransnet.com

Grandad1943 Tue 18-Sep-18 17:19:58

I believe that if Gransnet is to become better recognised it needs to change its name. In that,Gransnet should become Grandparents net, and Mumsnet become Parents net.

The above would encourage far more male participation on both sites and facilitate the changes in society in regard to the single-sex partnership, marriage and parenthood.

I feel it may only be a matter of time before someone challenges the forum titles under the Equalities Act 2010.

That stated, following the above reorganisation I do believe that far wider recognition of the sites themselves would be forthcoming and in that the views expressed within them.

Iam64 Tue 18-Sep-18 17:22:05

????

Fennel Tue 18-Sep-18 17:40:35

" Grandad1943 Tue 18-Sep-18 17:19:58

I believe that if Gransnet is to become better recognised it needs to change its name. In that,Gransnet should become Grandparents net, and Mumsnet become Parents net".
I agree with you 100% Grandad.
I suggested the same myself ( for this site).

Elegran Tue 18-Sep-18 17:59:48

Grandparentsnet doesn't really trip off the tongue like Gransnet, though, does it? Some other name could be better.

Changing the name by which an organisation is known is a very expensive business, and involves as much PR work to get that name established as starting up a new organisation does. It means throwing away the reputation that has been won over - is it seven years now? - and starting again almost from scratch.

I suspect that the thinking at the time was that "Gran" is an element of Grandfather as well as Grandmother. A bit like the reply when there was an objection to "man" being universally used for all mankind, male and female, - "Man embraces woman". I suppose Gran embraces Grandad?

MawBroon Tue 18-Sep-18 18:04:29

Form an orderly queue if you wish Elegran

Squiffy Tue 18-Sep-18 18:07:51

They could just add a 'd' and make it Grandsnet! That way it covers both. wink grin

lemongrove Tue 18-Sep-18 18:08:06

grin
Anyone can join GN, man, woman of any age with kr without DGC or DC, no real need to change things.
Comments here can end up in newspapers and on FB and just about anywhere.

Grandad1943 Tue 18-Sep-18 18:16:42

Elegran, Quote[snip>>>>I suppose Gran embraces Grandad?<<<<snip] End Quote.

Elegran, if you look at the ratio of female to male members of this forum, then many would conclude your above thoughts are incorrect.

The name Gransnet obviously dissuade mails from joining the forum, just as the title Mumsnet does the same I would feel, although I have never posted on the site for that reason.

Grandad1943 Tue 18-Sep-18 18:17:47

Apologise should be male above not mail

Jane10 Tue 18-Sep-18 18:24:06

Mumsnet is very widely known. TV and other media use it to ascertain women's views.
I think Gransnet is easily associated with Mumsnet.
We can't foist our ideas and opinions on others. There does seem to be quite a lot of media interest in us though. GNHQ often seem to be contribute to radio and newspaper interviews. GN ain't broke. It don't need fixed!

Elegran Tue 18-Sep-18 18:54:31

When I first joined, I tried to recruit some men of the relevant age at a hobby group of which I was a member. These men were there as much for the craic as the hobby, and would sit and chat about what they had been doing, and spoke of their families and mutual friends too, so I thought they might be interested in a social network for people over 50.

I described Gransnet - conversations about politics, religion, homes, TV, painting, photography, etc etc - "and of course families and grandchildren." Result - zero enthusiasm and a degree of embarrassment that I should think they might like it. One even said "I don't want to listen to a lot of women boasting about their grandchildren!"

When that is their image of women talking together, even when they have been told of the wide variety of subjects discussed, there is very little hope of men wanting to join a network where ANY women might be there and might just mention children. When men no longer believe that women are only interested in fashion, children and knitting, they may condescend to speak to them .

Until then, no point changing Gransnet to accommodate them - if they want to join they are always welcome. Which is more than could be said when women wanted to join men in equal discussion.

Iam64 Tue 18-Sep-18 19:25:03

Gransnet is open to grandparents. More women than men are interested in the discussion boards here. If more men want to join, that’s up to them. I can’t see any possible need for the Equalities Commission to get
Involved. Sorry if I’m offending anyone’. I find the idea makes me smile ?

BlueBelle Tue 18-Sep-18 19:53:23

A lot of men don’t get involved in even writing a Christmas card let alone involved in writing conversation on the net ?

cornergran Tue 18-Sep-18 20:00:44

Surely membership is self selecting? I doubt the name is a deterrent.

Joelsnan Tue 18-Sep-18 20:14:33

Can you imagine the media taking much notice of the content of this site in any serious manner when they tend to portray retirees as the ones who are holding all the wealth to the detriment of the younger generation, for causing Brexit, for staying in houses larger than their needs, wanting to take society back to the 50's, all being demented and basically why are we still here.
Such a shame because yes, our life experiences, work experiences etc., could be of benefit to society.
The younger generation often seem determined to reinvent the wheel ignoring the blueprint rather than improving, maybe we did the same, but with a bit more respect.

M0nica Tue 18-Sep-18 21:20:06

Heavens sake. who wants to hear the views of lot of grey haired old women. who all voted Leave and will be dead in a few years? grin, but it ought to be, and really is angry

Iam64 Wed 19-Sep-18 08:14:24

Speak for your self Monica! I may be grey haired and given the results of the current on line heart test, I may be dead already but, I voted Remain. grin

Anniebach Wed 19-Sep-18 09:00:57

What next , change Womens Hour to ?

PECS Wed 19-Sep-18 09:13:43

We are a typical cross section
(though probably not as ethnically diverse as general pop) on here and our opinions wide ranging. I guess on any official poll our age group and socio economic backgrounds & different political leanings are represented. Grandparents are not an homogenous group!

trisher Wed 19-Sep-18 10:52:40

I really don't see how GN can be used for anything except discussion. There are already a number of organisations concentrating on influencing government policies, but they do so by polling to find which causes will be best supported. Like 38 Degrees, which has lobbied on a number of things and is made up of people of all ages.

jenpax Wed 19-Sep-18 11:21:28

We are a broad group and ages vary so much! A lot of time I read someone mentioning “our generation” or when “we were young” but there is a huge difference between the lived experiences of a GN member (like me) in late 40’s or early 50’s and those of some who are in their 80’s or 90’s (my parents generation!)

kittylester Wed 19-Sep-18 11:39:58

I too doubt that a different name would entice men on here though I do, mostly enjoy hearing from the men who do join in.

MOnica, you forgot rolling in money and spending it without a thought to the future of our children and grandchildren and living so long that we are costing the country a fortune.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Sep-18 11:43:00

Love it BlueBelle ❗️ So true!