Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lily Allen apologises

(26 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 26-Sep-18 11:31:17

Earlier this year, Lily Allen apologised, on behalf of the UK, to an Afghan teenage refugee in Calais, for "what the UK had put him through". She accepts that she worded it "clumsily" but insists that she was right and that the UK government were, and are, to blame. Personally, I think that Lily Allen did this young man, and others like him, more of a disservice than help because she caused such a negative backlash.

www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/lily-allen-says-she-was-foolish-to-apologise-on-behalf-of-uk-for-refugee-crisis-a3946026.html

Luckygirl Wed 26-Sep-18 11:41:52

She's allowed to say what she thinks. She obviously felt for this young mans' misery. That too is allowed. She is not responsible for a backlash from bigots. She had nothing to apologise for and should not have done so.

ALL governments carry some responsibility for this refugee mess.

M0nica Wed 26-Sep-18 12:29:38

Most of all the Afghan government.

MawBroon Wed 26-Sep-18 12:38:03

I do wish theEnglish language or those who use it would differentiate between expressing regret and apologising when they say “I am sorry”
I am sorry about slavery, about racial , religious or sexual discrimination, about women not having the vote until well into the 20th century, butI do not feel I bear any responsibility so when I say I am sorry, that is just that.
Who does Lily Allen think she is? She does not speak for me.
I am also very sceptical about “celebrities” sounding forth on political issues as if they know more about them than Joe or Jo Bloggs.

Missfoodlove Wed 26-Sep-18 13:12:51

Lily Allen needs to keep her mouth shut unless she’s in a recording studio.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Sep-18 13:45:00

To be fair Missfoodlove, I'd prefer it if she kept her mouth shut there too!

humptydumpty Wed 26-Sep-18 14:19:45

Well we're full of love today, aren't we!

grumppa Wed 26-Sep-18 17:26:19

I'm with you on "sorry", *Mawbroon". I remember saying, years ago, that I was sorry it had taken a long time for something to dealt with - not by me - only to be hauled over the coals for apologising, which I hadn't.

MawBroon Wed 26-Sep-18 17:30:06

“Full of love” does that equate to accepting sleb wisdom at face value or being impressed by it humpty dumpty
Have we checked out Ringo Starr on Brexit recently?

Nanabilly Wed 26-Sep-18 17:33:30

This young madam needs to crawl back under the stone she has been hiding under since her last album came out and remain there . I imagine she is told what to say by her management team when she is promoting an album but surely even she can see it's all the wrong things to say . Maybe she just does not really care anyway as long as she gets the money . Another mentally unstable "star" from a mentally unstable father by all accounts if you have read what she says about her upbringing. Or is it just another publicity stunt . Who knows . Who cares !!!

seacliff Wed 26-Sep-18 18:48:50

I can't stand her, she seems so fake, and desperate for media attention. Very spoilt.

petra Wed 26-Sep-18 19:42:44

I like the wit on line who said: " On behalf of the uk I would like to apologise for Lilly Alan"
Oxygen stealer, as we call useless articles like her.

TerriBull Wed 26-Sep-18 19:57:06

Lily Allen, in spite of being early 30s, comes across as so juvenile and crass at times, she might as well be a 16 year old on the cusp of developing their first political opinions.

I really fail to understand what sort of impression or point she was trying to make when she said something along the lines of "they would have been raped at some stage in their lives" when referring to the Rochdale girls who suffered at the hands of the grooming gangs. That fatuous statement sounded dismissive and cavalier and completely lacking in any sort of empathy. However, she's probably better remembered for apologising on behalf of Britain for the state of "the jungle" refugee camp at Calais. At that time I gather she offered to house one or possibly more young people, completely overlooking the fact that in the main they came from conservative Muslim backgrounds and as such her liberal use of drugs and sex outside marriage would more than likely be at odds with their ethos and upbringing. Around the time Cameron won the election for the Tories she professed "that she felt she couldn't stay in what in her opinion was now a "fascist country" Shame her posh school didn't educate her on the reality of what an actual fascist country is like. Nevertheless, it appears she still lives in Britain, so it seems she was able put up with the fascists after all confused

Her book coming out and yes she has had an unfortunate and not very happy childhood, and a still born child for which she has my sympathy. She is nevertheless one of those people who come across as an attention seeker with a desire to shock. I just don't know why she feels she has to divulge so much of what is going on in her personal life, her political opinions etc. She is a mediocre singer with a pretty reedy voice. She really ought to go away and get some help with fighting her demons.

MissAdventure Wed 26-Sep-18 21:09:26

Oh good!
Now she can apologise for her music.

lemongrove Wed 26-Sep-18 21:14:35

Why does anyone give any weight to anything that celebs say? Lily Allen and Russell Brand are two that spring to mind.
All migrants/ refugees in Calais are on French soil, are safe and could apply to stay there.If they have relatives in Britain they have to go through official channels to get here not the actual Channel.

Eloethan Wed 26-Sep-18 22:13:54

I don't always agree with Lily Allen but I don't understand the degree of nastiness and spite aimed at her. And I think she's made some very good records.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Sep-18 23:06:26

Personally, I find Lily Allen self absorbed and talentless. She's fallen out with pretty much everyone she comes into contact with; family, relationships, other show business people; she seems to be a pretty alienating person in general. And her repeated "gaffs" via the media would be pardonable if she was a teenager. But she isn't. She's a woman in her 30s who should have learnt by now to think before she opens her mouth and gives forth. But that's just my opinion. smile

paddyann Thu 27-Sep-18 09:00:38

I think she had a point.The mess in the middle east is largely down to the west.America needed someoen to blame for 9/11 and they were the fall guy .Imagine if Westminster had bombed Dublin for "harbouring " terrorists? There would have been an outrage .Come to think of it imagine if Westminster had bombed America for feting terrorists ,otherwise known as Irish Republicans .There would have been a nuclear war!!Rules for some and didfferent rules for others!

lemongrove Thu 27-Sep-18 09:08:33

‘America needed someone to blame for 9/11’
There was someone to blame for it, and he was hiding in the mountains in Afghanistan.He was ( and all his murderous followers) a complete menace.
If the two towers had been in Scotland paddyann you would not be coming out with these ‘pearlers’.

Riverwalk Thu 27-Sep-18 09:25:59

Indeed he was hiding in the mountains of Afghanistan - but the US, aided by the coalition, invaded Iraq instead.

sunseeker Thu 27-Sep-18 10:06:08

Lily Allen is entitled to her opinions. However, she is not entitled to speak for anyone else and certainly not "on behalf of the UK". She is a minor celebrity with no more knowledge about political situations than any other member of the public.

Like many other "celebrities" she likes to tell everyone else what they should be doing but don't actually do anything about it themselves.

Luckylegs9 Tue 02-Oct-18 06:55:16

I listened to an interview with Lily Allen, you cannot take what she says seriously, she needs help. Her childhood has really messed her up.

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 16:47:56

I can't help comparing Lily Allen's gaffes with Lindsay Lohan's. Neither of them seem to have a filter or think about the consequences of what they say or do. Both had a strange upbringing too.

humptydumpty Tue 02-Oct-18 17:18:17

My daughter has just been to a Q&A session with LA and her impression was the complete opposite of those nasty comments on this thread.

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 17:28:56

That's lovely humptydumpty; it's good to know LA has a supporter.