Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nominee Brett Kavanaugh

(170 Posts)
NanKate Fri 28-Sep-18 08:15:27

Did any of you watch the riveting BBC coverage of the Professor (sorry forgotten her full name) report of the alleged sexual incident over 30 years ago and then BK refuting it.

She was so very brave and came across as a credible person. He was loud, tearful, very boastful and was in fighting mood.

I don’t know what the outcome will be, but it was powerful stuff

MawBroon Fri 28-Sep-18 13:59:06

This may not be easy to read, but the tiny number of rapes reported, prosecuted and securing a conviction is frightening.
Even more so I expect 30 or so years ago.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Sep-18 14:03:35

Easybee you have said exactly what I was trying to, but much better than I did
I m sure it probably happened a 17 year old party goer man/child drunk and a pretty 15 year old female /child party goer but was she affected to the extent she is implying I find that extremely unlikely
I think people who feel that strong professional lady was traumatised for thirty six years over this have NEVER EVER talked to a real survivor

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 14:31:29

In actual fact she spoke to several people, including her husband, about this in 2012. There are witness statements to back this up. Imagine having the courage to stand up in front of senators, and the world media and talk of this assault. And she’s not the only one who has accused this man and she did voluntarily take a polygraph.

His blustering and overacting didn’t ring true. His mouth was saying one thing but the body language said he was lying.

Just because a 15-year old girl didn’t tell 30+ years ago should not open her to accusations of lying on this forum. Most rapes and sexual assaults go unreported. Fact. But in the present climate of ‘MeToo’ at last people feel empowered to speak out. Another fact.

Some seem to excuse this assault on a child on the basis of the boy’s age. Or the fact that he was drunk. Or that it happened a long time ago.

Nothing excuses this behaviour.

Caledonai14 Fri 28-Sep-18 14:38:21

MawBroon thanks for posting the earlier YouTube link. Very cleverly done. grin
The serious side of this is the disturbing response from Kavanaugh, who came across as someone you wouldn't want to sit in judgement over a parking ticket, let alone anything else.
Dr Ford has taken a lie detector test. Does anyone know if the judge has?

Diana54 Fri 28-Sep-18 14:46:30

Worthy of an Oscar indeed, guilty enough NOT to be a Supreme Court Judge

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 14:49:56

No, Christina Blasey Ford has taken a polygraph test, but the man she is accusing of sexual assault, Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, has not, despite calls from some that he also take the examination.

nigglynellie Fri 28-Sep-18 15:30:28

It's just so hard to tell! People can sound so plausible so what or who do you believe? Remember Bill Clinton! No I certainly don't think people should get away with anything because of the passing of time, but I do think to accuse somebody of anything, the accuser must have some sort of proof, it can't just be hearsay as anyone could accuse anyone else of anything they liked.

Sparklefizz Fri 28-Sep-18 15:41:33

MargaretX ^ She must have been expecting it she had her bathing costume on underneath.^

I don't follow your train of thought with this comment, Margaret.

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 15:45:17

That means then niggley that all sexual assaults would have to be witnessed.......and that just doesn’t happen normally. What sort of proof would you like?

kittylester Fri 28-Sep-18 15:57:33

What happened to the other man who was in the room? Why was he not called? Does anyone know?

SueDonim Fri 28-Sep-18 16:30:45

He just sent a letter and scarpered away to a hidey hole, Kitty. It's not a trial so I guess there's no compulsion for him to be called.

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 16:38:07

What do you imagine he would say? Old boy network and all that?

ffinnochio Fri 28-Sep-18 17:05:49

Dr. Ford had been to her swim club .....for those of you who suggest she was wearing it because she was expecting it!

DoraMarr Fri 28-Sep-18 17:10:52

I think I would have had more respect for Brett Kavanaugh if he had said something on the lines of: “I’m sorry that Christine Blasey Ford suffered this attack. I would like to commend her bravery in speaking up now, and while I do not admit that I was her attacker, I can assure her and my fellow Americans that, if I were, I would be the first to ask her forgiveness.”

nigglynellie Fri 28-Sep-18 17:13:45

Reporting it or telling someone afterwards would be proof enough. Trouble is people do lie on all fronts for whatever reason. There again, they don't lie, so who to believe?! It is a difficult one that's for sure!

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 17:21:50

You should apply for the post of Trump’s speech writer Dora !

lemongrove Fri 28-Sep-18 17:47:19

Actually Eazybee now that you mention it......grin Yes, there is truth in that asessment.

Iam64 Fri 28-Sep-18 18:10:20

Women and men who were subjected to this kind of assault by and older boy at a party rarely speak out at the time. She’s a brave woman to leave herself open to the kind of criticism and threats it was clear she’d be subjected to if she spoke out now,
It’s unfair imo to dismiss her allegations and claims of the long lasting trauma she somplsibs of as being somehow not serious enough. People experience and process trauma differently. To those who casually claim “we all” experienced the kind of assault experienced because it was ‘normal’ I’d say speak for yourself and reflect on what you say.
Why is he opposed to an fbi investigation.
I found the process unpleasant, adversarial rather than investigative. I found his extreme show of emotion, his references to faith, Church attendance and particularly his claim his ten year old daughter said they should prsy ‘for the woman’ extremely distasteful.

Diana54 Fri 28-Sep-18 20:51:04

If I had just been swimming I wouldn't put my party clothes on top of my wet swimsuit, at 15 I definitely wouldnt have been taking any risks, thinking back I didn't take any at 18 either.

MawBroon Fri 28-Sep-18 22:02:41

So further checks and investigations are to be made.
Good

lemongrove Fri 28-Sep-18 22:20:18

He doesn’t appear to be a judge does he? Admittedly the whole circus would be very upsetting on a personal level, but he should have tried to sound more stable.

Anniebach Fri 28-Sep-18 22:25:31

She didn’t say she had just been swimming, probably was going swimming later or wore in incase there would be a decision to go swimming

B9exchange Fri 28-Sep-18 22:52:55

As someone who was sexually assaulted 48 years ago, I assure you that you never forget, it damages you. If the perpetrator were now to be about to be awarded a top job as a judge, I hope I would have the courage to speak out to protect women who might have their cases come up before him.

I don't know which of them is lying or telling the truth. But please don't suggest that an assault when you were a teenager doesn't count.

SpringyChicken Fri 28-Sep-18 23:09:20

I think he did it but was too drunk to remember. I found it telling that he has done his best to discredit his 'friend' who is the only potential witness.

MargaretX Fri 28-Sep-18 23:15:25

Sparklefizz she herself says that she had her bathing costume on underneath and that's why nothing more intimate happened.
Because when lying on a bed you can't get a bathing costume off if there's a struggle going on. It works like a chastity belt.
I'm quite sure the whole thing happened and its doesn't sound good but I think 36 years on, is just too late to prove anything one way or the other.
I feel sorry for her and am afraid she has now ruined her own life now.