Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nominee Brett Kavanaugh

(170 Posts)
NanKate Fri 28-Sep-18 08:15:27

Did any of you watch the riveting BBC coverage of the Professor (sorry forgotten her full name) report of the alleged sexual incident over 30 years ago and then BK refuting it.

She was so very brave and came across as a credible person. He was loud, tearful, very boastful and was in fighting mood.

I don’t know what the outcome will be, but it was powerful stuff

Fennel Tue 09-Oct-18 17:21:26

I've just been reading that Nikki Haley resigned today from her position at the UN.
I wonder if there's any connection?

Devorgilla Tue 09-Oct-18 18:19:44

My daughter has just told me about the hazing rituals they observe in this court. As the last in he has to hold the door open for all the other judges until a new judge is appointed. One judge did it for 12 years. He also has to go to the door if an official knocks to see what they want e.g. Judge X left their specs in the court. Please give to him/her. He sits on the cafeteria committee and has to listen to all the complaints about the food and drink served. This is designed not to humiliate but to make the judges humble. They may be the highest judges in the land but they are not above anyone else. It reminds them that they are human. A quaint custom but very effective.

Elegran Wed 10-Oct-18 10:00:15

A good article by Kate Maltby, who has personal experience of accusing a man in power.

www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/10/05/what-to-expect-when-a-woman-accuses-a-man-in-power

maddyone Wed 10-Oct-18 12:51:02

Iam64, do you have proof that false allegations are made only rarely?

Iam64 Wed 10-Oct-18 12:59:25

maddyone, the latest research in the UK in 2017 reported 4% of all allegations made to police were found to be false. Research throughout Europe and North America concludes between 2% and 6%.
The police and CPS only take a case to trial if they are 85% certain of a successful prosecution. That excludes children under the age of 7, who are rarely seen as appropriate witnesses, not least because of the possible damage to the child who will face fierce cross examination, clever questions designed to trip them up, confuse them. If there are multiple alleged perpetrators, the child can face that kind of cross examination from several barristers. That's what happened in the various child sexual exploitation trials reported on recently.

jura2 Wed 10-Oct-18 13:17:48

This was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993 ...

can there really be that much smoke without real fire?

He has not been proven guilty- which does NOT mean he is innocent.

maddyone Wed 10-Oct-18 14:07:13

Iam64, interesting reading. Last week a relative of mine was found to be Not Guilty, a unanimous verdict in less than two hours, of a malicious and totally false claim of rape.

maddyone Wed 10-Oct-18 18:11:43

Jura, he has not been found guilty as you say quite correctly, but I'm amazed so many people appear to know that he is guilty. I wonder how they know.

POGS Wed 10-Oct-18 21:04:19

" He has not been proven guilty- which does NOT mean he is innocent."

It also does not mean he is guilty!

How can a conclusion be made when it is based on a ' gut feeling', ' political bias ', believing no man or woman ever lies and that applies to both Kavanagh and Ford.?

We as individuals either hold the ' Innocent until proven guilty' to be sound reasoning or 'Guilty until proven Innocent ' to be sound reasoning.

Lord knows the Kangaroo Court has been proven to be nothing short of holding an unfounded belief in other peoples lies time and time again . There are so many people caught up in the collateral damage caused , lives are ruined because they fell foul of the Kangaroo Court and nothing can make it up to them for the injustice done to them.

Nobody knows which of them told the truth , is innocent or guilty.

maddyone Wed 10-Oct-18 21:08:55

A good post POGS.

PECS Wed 10-Oct-18 21:21:25

I cannot feel respect for the man based on what I have seen /read. I have no idea of his innocence or guilt in this case but his demeanour and behaviour during this time of his nomination/ accusation is not very inspiring or statesmanlike!

Trump was wrong to say Kavanaugh had been found innocent..he had not been tried so there is no verdict!

I know too many lovely men to begin to think all men are rapists. However there are many men who are sexual predators and potential rapists. They come from all areas and backgrounds and being a judge does not mean you may not be misogynist or a potential sexual abuser.

Iam64 Wed 10-Oct-18 21:22:53

Echoes what PECS said.

POGS Wed 10-Oct-18 21:45:44

" I have no idea of his innocence or guilt in this case"
----

Nobody does but that is the danger in a Kangaroo Court scenario.
--

"I know too many lovely men to begin to think all men are rapists."

I would hope not!
---
" However there are many men who are sexual predators and potential rapists. They come from all areas and backgrounds and being a judge does not mean you may not be misogynist or a potential sexual abuser "

Stating the obvious.
-
One could say that just because somebody ' accused of rape' is a judge he is a misogynistic , potential sexual abuser.

PECS Wed 10-Oct-18 21:59:44

Why have you just repeated my post in bits POGS. ?

Just to clarify I have never supported 'kangaroo' court approaches to anything! Especially ones run by various red top media outlets.

Umm..lots of people state the obvious to emphasise a point!

I do not understand what you are trying to say in your last sentence! Sorry to be so thick!

eazybee Thu 11-Oct-18 07:57:57

This was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993.
As far as I am able to ascertain the previous FBI checks/investigations were all routine requirements for clearance assessing his suitability for posts he was offered: Clerk to Court of Appeals, Clerk for Justice; Associate Counsel, Assistant to President, USA Court of Appeals etc.
I am surprised (genuinely) that Christine Blasey Ford did not raise her objections to his suitability on any of these occasions.

jura2 Thu 11-Oct-18 13:42:12

Did you see the awful video of him pushing his wife around and grabbing her neck- with Trump starring her?

Poor woman and poor kids- she looked absolutely terrified.

jura2 Thu 11-Oct-18 13:45:35

45 seconds of awkwardness.

Iam64 Fri 12-Oct-18 08:59:27

eazybee - please don't be surprised that an alleged victim didn't speak out in public, earlier than s/he did. It's extremely difficult to report alleged abuse. Dr Ford began to talk about her experience several years ago, it's often the case that speaking with friends, partners, doctors or therapists enables victims to own their abuse experience, rather than keep it locked away in a box. The woman and her family are in hiding, he's been appointed to the Supreme Court. I'm drawing no conclusions about guilt or innocence because I don't have enough information to do so. I continue to believe that his demeanour at the investigation convinced me he doesn't have the temperament for the job he's now been given.

darvinjames476 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:26:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.