Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Beckham

(45 Posts)
shysal Fri 28-Sep-18 09:15:44

home.bt.com/news/uk-news/beckham-shirking-responsibility-as-role-model-by-dodging-speeding-charge-11364298418955
Do you agree with the criticism? I am sure most of us have allowed our speed to creep up without noticing occasionally, but he was driving dangerously. Pity he didn't own up and pay up. After all he can afford the fine. His lawyer probably cost more.

PamelaJ1 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:11:27

Anyone got Mr loopholes number?
My husband got a speeding fine letter today 33 in a 30 zone.
He will pay the fine and go on the course.
Did look at the date though?
Don’t think you get a 10% leeway anymore.

Anniebach Mon 01-Oct-18 10:29:45

Tall Poppy Syndrome?

MawBroon Mon 01-Oct-18 10:25:27

Who bothers about DB any more anyway?
Isn’t Gareth Southgate our new role model?

kackie Mon 01-Oct-18 10:07:04

When I was teaching he was such a wonderful role model to use in the classroom. How the mighty have fallen, and what do Our young people learn from him now? ——-
You don’t have to be responsible for your actions.
Very sad.

varian Sun 30-Sep-18 18:59:59

I never thought that either of the Beckhams were overburdened by brains, in spite of having other talents which made their fortunes, but I did think DB was a decent bloke. Not any more.

Lemongrass14 Sun 30-Sep-18 18:59:19

Apologies for earlier post, meant to be a “ speeding fine “ and not a “ parking fine “

Lemongrass14 Sun 30-Sep-18 18:54:04

It is amazing to read DB hired a lawyer to get him off paying his speeding fine. Saw in the papers today, he just bought into a business for 3 million.

But refused to cough up for a parking fine ....smh ...

Dockersgirl1955 Sun 30-Sep-18 05:05:16

DB should never be allowed to get awAy with this as we wouldn't be allowed and after all we're all on the road including our Grandchildren

Moocow Sat 29-Sep-18 17:25:46

unforgivable action to take instead of admitting he was in the wrong!
Ant ( of Ant & Dec fame) was lucky not to have injured someone and being caught so publicly could possibly have saved him from doing harm. Wonder if This celebrity will think twice about repeating such a performance, it was such a huge amount over the speed limit.....

jacq10 Sat 29-Sep-18 16:20:05

As I read the situation, it was deemed a technicality as the date stamp proved it arrived late. The date stamp would have been used when the office mail was opened but who is to say that it was set at the right date when it was used to record the arrival of the letter. I would think that David Beckham's letter would have been sent out with a batch of others so many other offenders should also be getting off on the same technicality if they all arrived late!

shysal Sat 29-Sep-18 15:06:13

I bet she made a fortune out of these designs (not)!

paddyann Sat 29-Sep-18 13:48:59

I wonder why shes called a successful fashion designer ,her company is permanently in the red and has large cash sums thrown at it every yearby her OH.Not a successful business if its not making a profit surely .

MawBroon Sat 29-Sep-18 13:39:57

Ooh, that’s a hard question Margs (not) grin

Margs Sat 29-Sep-18 12:16:10

Apparently he 'got off' because the letter arrived a day later than the legal time limit.

Just imagine if Missus/Mister Ordinary Person claimed that their Council Tax demand arrived later than was reasonably expected and therefore it could not be enforced?Ha!Ha!Ha!

Yeah, same old story. The rich can always but the justice they want!

(Just to go off-piste, why is Victoria Beckham called a Fashion Designer? Has she - like Dame Vivienne Westwood and her ilk - done a degree course in design at St Martins College, incorporating tailoring, pattern cutting, getting up designs from scratch, ,mocking up a design on a model complete with tailors chalk, running stitches, pins and darts, etc, etc, etc. and ripping it apart and starting again? And again?

Or does she (I suspect) do some pretty drawings and hand the hard work over to her sycophantic flunkies?

icanhandthemback Sat 29-Sep-18 10:34:02

The reason it needs to be sent within 14 days is because you have to remember who was driving and the circumstances. I don’t know about many of you but two of us regularly drive my car along the same road so even within 14 days it is likely I may not remember these details if I hadn’t noticed the camera.

Willow500 Sat 29-Sep-18 06:47:48

Having just got a speeding ticket doing 71 in a 60 (open road in the middle of nowhere) I'm very annoyed DB has got away with it. Even more annoyed I've been stupid enough to be caught after 40 years driving with no blemishes. The fact that the car broke down later on the same journey and wouldn't accelerate makes it even worse!

crystaltipps Sat 29-Sep-18 05:42:05

Lots of people challenge their parking fines, speeding fines etc. Not just celebrities. The letter wasn’t delivered late because DB is a celebrity, it was because of the sloppiness of the system.

123kitty Sat 29-Sep-18 05:10:58

Why did it take so long for the paperwork to be delivered? DB isn't the first driver to get off a driving disqualification using this legal technicality. Whoever is in charge should get this loophole closed ASAP.

Melanieeastanglia Fri 28-Sep-18 21:43:41

I think he should have paid up.

bikergran Fri 28-Sep-18 21:06:19

hese pathetic...I would be embarrased...but as other celebs do, they think they are above the law...and it seems yes! they are hmm

Luckylegs9 Fri 28-Sep-18 21:04:10

Man up. He is a disgrace. Speeding kills, however not if you are David Beckham with cash and a clever lawyer to get you off by a technical error. He got away with not causing a serious accident, what a good honourable role model he's turned out to be, Shame on him.

FlorenceFlower Fri 28-Sep-18 20:18:29

Oh dear, it may have been technically correct to let DB off his motoring offence but it sends out a very poor signal to other drivers. I suspect it would have been much better for him to have paid up quietly and admitted that he had done something wrong. He could have earned some respect for learning from his poor driving rather than resorting to a clever lawyer ? ?

Grandmama Fri 28-Sep-18 19:28:21

This case raises, for me, the fact that if one has money one can afford a (top) lawyer and fight cases. If we had a boundary dispute with my neighbour (not remotely likely!) we couldn't afford to take the risk of a court case that might result in us losing and having to pay expenses. We'd be ruined. We'd just let our neighbour have the land in dispute. We have legal cover on our house insurance but in reality I think it would cover very few eventualities.

GillT57 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:15:10

Irrespective of the technicality of the lateness of the fine, DB has done himself a disservice by employing this lawyer, he should have just taken it on the chin, paid up and moved on.

loopyloo Fri 28-Sep-18 16:08:17

Well. Victoria's business is in the red so perhaps they are a bit short of money at the moment.