Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Beckham

(44 Posts)
shysal Fri 28-Sep-18 09:15:44

home.bt.com/news/uk-news/beckham-shirking-responsibility-as-role-model-by-dodging-speeding-charge-11364298418955
Do you agree with the criticism? I am sure most of us have allowed our speed to creep up without noticing occasionally, but he was driving dangerously. Pity he didn't own up and pay up. After all he can afford the fine. His lawyer probably cost more.

MawBroon Fri 28-Sep-18 09:21:00

Looks like his “K” (knighthood) could be further away than ever.
Never having driven a posh powerful car, I might admit that it is easy to exceed the speed limit almost without realising, but own up, pay up, shut up.
(And maybe give a job to a deserving chauffeur!)

MaizieD Fri 28-Sep-18 09:27:24

Regardless of the 'power' of your car an experienced driver should be able to judge their speed without looking at the speedo. I'm saddened that he's been able to get away with it on a technicality, but the law is the law and procedures have to be properly followed.

I haven't read anything about the case but, like it or not, he is a role model and I think it would be good if he admitted now that he was driving dangerously and voluntarily took a speed awareness course.

Ladyinspain Fri 28-Sep-18 09:43:11

"Getting away with it" is exactly what he's done! Even legally! I actually like DB, but on this occasion he has let down the fans, and he must realize this is not the way to show young boys (and his sons) how to behave! Do the crime -pay the fine--they have millions!! And as one person here suggested, get a driver, give someone a job-disappointed in him.Money talks eh?

joysutty Fri 28-Sep-18 09:45:32

Yes, I agree. He can easily afford a fine. Like other person said - his lawyer probably cost him a fortune.

henetha Fri 28-Sep-18 09:53:53

I like the Beckhams, but he should have taken it on the chin and paid up. He would get more respect for honesty, I think.

Foxyferret Fri 28-Sep-18 09:56:09

Can you imagine you or I turning up and saying that the fine arrived a day late? We would probably have to prove that this was the case but in his case it’s OK then, no case to answer. Thank heavens no one was hurt.

justwokeup Fri 28-Sep-18 09:59:37

Hmm. hmm Rules are rules. DB definitely should not have been driving so fast and the NIP definitely should have reached him within the allowed time limit. It doesn't take 14 days to post out a letter! I've successfully fought a parking fine on a technicality - no disabled parking bays - and didn't feel I ought to pay up because I parked, safely, in a no parking area. I'm not condoning driving over the speed limit, but rules apply to 'admin' functions too. They should get it right.

icanhandthemback Fri 28-Sep-18 10:13:09

I have had 2 speeding tickets in the last few years having driven without incurring one for nearly 40 years. One time I was on a dual carriage way doing 70 without realising I was in a 60 mile an hour limit because I had missed the sign. I was very miffed...with myself.
After a Speed Awareness Course I started using my cruise control as a matter of course to ensure I didn't speed, more from the impact of the course than a fear of a ticket. So one morning, after a very distressful time getting out of the house with children who were not on the best behaviour, I set off down the road with my daughter jabbering in my ear and I forgot to set the control. Just down the road from my house there was a policeman and I was caught doing 36 mph. I was furious with myself after being careful for so long. The first thing I did though was look to see if it had arrived on time (in vain hope) but when you read the defence reasons, they do not allow that as one of them. I should have taken it to a lawyer.

GabriellaG Fri 28-Sep-18 10:15:41

IMO, DB is acting like an ass. He was obviously speeding and I agree with other comments that it could be easy to slip over the limit.
My own beloved BMW 5 series is so silent at 60mph, that I have sometimes wondered if the engine ison, bizzare as that sounds.
Having owned Mercs and BMWs and passing an advanced driving course in my 40s, the opportunities to drive a Lamborghini Marzal, Bentley Continental and RR Silver Cloud presented themselves as part of my employment in later life. One, a German heiress living in Surrey, sent me to London on a 2 day driving/chauffeurs course so that I could appropriately take her and her partner to theatres and events in town and beyond. She was a very generous employer. The roller belonged to a lady in the IoM and I could drive it on my time off. Never got a parking ticket grin
The Bentley (one of a stable of marque vehicles) belonged to the owner of a string of care homes. His own home was unbelievable (now you know where your fees go) hmm
I enjoyed all the experiences but never felt inclined to speed, alone orwith clients.
DB is far too big for his boots and it would have been far cheaper to pay the fine and be done with it.
The police should have been quicker off the mark with the paperwork. Hand delivered by courier would have ensured it got there in time.
The Beckhams are a parody of family life.

Jane10 Fri 28-Sep-18 10:18:47

He's never seemed like a role model to me. Just another vacuous 'sleb'. I'm not in the least surprised that he seem to stick to the driving rules.

vickymeldrew Fri 28-Sep-18 10:26:20

I’m puzzled why he would fight this case. If he had received points on his licence and maybe banned from driving in the future it would be peanuts for him to employ a driver for a while. The bad publicity for a sensitive little soul like Mr Beckham must be worse......

notgoneyet Fri 28-Sep-18 10:27:44

I agree with most of the GNers here. I'm quite a fan of the Beckhams; think that considering the amount of money & celebrity status they have, they've brought their family up really well.
However, why, with all his money, would he even bother to try and get off that charge with a 'technicality'? It really does tell his younger fans that it's ok to flout the law as long as you can afford a good lawyer to get you off.
It would have been so much better and earned him far more respect to have owned up (which he actually did), apologise, and accept the punishment.
As others have said, he can certainly afford any fines, and to employ a chauffeur if given a driving ban. Us mere mortals would have to accept whatever punishment was given, so I feel he should have too.

crystaltipps Fri 28-Sep-18 10:35:54

If you get your tax return in late you get a fine. Rules work both ways. Perhaps they should make the time for receiving a letter longer.

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-18 10:42:08

I have a 'heavy right foot' and have to admit having been caught just over the speed limit a few times and attended speed awareness courses twice. I would have been gobsmacked if I'd turned up to find DB on the same course! He was 'done' for speeding in the time he was at ManU, on a stretch of the A34 in Cheadle, where the limit is 50mph. I don't think he dodged the fine on that occasion. It could be that, this time, his record would have led to disqualification.

sarahcyn Fri 28-Sep-18 11:16:16

I know the stretch of the A40 involved very well. It is actually a very built up area, but feels like it isn't because it's a flyover. If he was driving out of London he might have been tempted to put his foot down. And that would have been very dangerous. Someone joining the road at White City would be going at max 30mph and not expecting a boy racer to be coming up behind them at 60.
I've often been cut up on that road by Beckham wannabes who seem completely oblivious of the fact that a short distance up the road is a pedestrian crossing outside a primary school and a complex junction not to mention the White City junction which always has slightly dazed shoppers circling it.
If he was driving eastwards into London that's even more unforgivable as there is often a queue of traffic backing up just ahead which can be hidden by the rise in the road.
He was lucky not to have caused a pile-up.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 28-Sep-18 14:45:16

He is a disgrace and what sought of role model is he for his son who is young and has a very powerful car? He should at least been sent on a speed awareness course.

OldMeg Fri 28-Sep-18 14:55:18

OK he got off on a technically and avoids a fine and points on his driving license but what has he lost instead?

Public respect. He should have taken his punishment not weasled out of it ??

Smileless2012 Fri 28-Sep-18 16:02:58

The fine should have been issued within 14 days and it wasn't. It's a point of law. I'm not saying I agree with it but the law needs to be correctly enforced, if it isn't then this is an example of what can happen.

Whether or not he can readily afford a fine, which of course he can is immaterial, the fine couldn't be enforced.

loopyloo Fri 28-Sep-18 16:08:17

Well. Victoria's business is in the red so perhaps they are a bit short of money at the moment.

GillT57 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:15:10

Irrespective of the technicality of the lateness of the fine, DB has done himself a disservice by employing this lawyer, he should have just taken it on the chin, paid up and moved on.

Grandmama Fri 28-Sep-18 19:28:21

This case raises, for me, the fact that if one has money one can afford a (top) lawyer and fight cases. If we had a boundary dispute with my neighbour (not remotely likely!) we couldn't afford to take the risk of a court case that might result in us losing and having to pay expenses. We'd be ruined. We'd just let our neighbour have the land in dispute. We have legal cover on our house insurance but in reality I think it would cover very few eventualities.

FlorenceFlower Fri 28-Sep-18 20:18:29

Oh dear, it may have been technically correct to let DB off his motoring offence but it sends out a very poor signal to other drivers. I suspect it would have been much better for him to have paid up quietly and admitted that he had done something wrong. He could have earned some respect for learning from his poor driving rather than resorting to a clever lawyer ? ?

Luckylegs9 Fri 28-Sep-18 21:04:10

Man up. He is a disgrace. Speeding kills, however not if you are David Beckham with cash and a clever lawyer to get you off by a technical error. He got away with not causing a serious accident, what a good honourable role model he's turned out to be, Shame on him.

bikergran Fri 28-Sep-18 21:06:19

hese pathetic...I would be embarrased...but as other celebs do, they think they are above the law...and it seems yes! they are hmm