Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aldi expansion

(337 Posts)
Teetime Mon 01-Oct-18 13:06:44

Aldi have announced a large expansion and are about to employ a further 1000 members of staff. They aren't worried about Brexit then.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:58:42

What's News, Jalima? The details of where you all do your shopping and how much you save?
I can't save by going to Aldi as it would cost me so much in petrol to get there it wouldn't be worth it.

Now, good news would be - are we going to get one here?

ps that's why I did a wink like you

I thought the fact that Aldi has abandoned Greece was quite interesting - and has so many stores across Australia was interesting too.
At least, if not interesting, it could be News to some
wink

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 17:01:13

News Flash:

It is said they will employ 5,000 new staff, not 1,000
www.cityam.com/264131/aldi-expand-into-130-new-stores-sales-rocket-102bn

TerriBull Mon 01-Oct-18 17:39:19

I bought a bottle of gin in Aldi recently after reading rave reviews about it, not that I'm a gin connoisseur so I couldn't say whether it's superior to other brands or not, I just know it's cheaper . Very nice with a Fever Tree tonic and a slice of lemon, not really news though!

Willow500 Mon 01-Oct-18 17:51:33

We had a new Aldi open here last year as well as Lidl the year before - we also have Sainsburys, Co-op and BM Stores which now sells food. I do use them all - I like Aldi's chilled meals and Lidl's fresh bread but still go out of town to the big Tescos or Morrisons most weeks as husband doesn't like the others and he's driving. We did try one week buying the weekly shop in Aldi, Lidl and BM (for cat food) but didn't save much and it was a hassle. I can't see they can provide any more jobs here - we've more food shops than anything else and it's only a small market town.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Oct-18 18:01:48

Aldi organic prosecco and organic Pinot Grigio are both very nice.

I have a 10 minute walk to our Aldi, I use it a fair bit (at least twice a week)' I also shop in Waitrose, M & S food hall and Sainsbury's.

The carpark is always full.

petra Mon 01-Oct-18 18:04:43

Nonnie
I think Teetime is alluding to the fact that there won't be any food coming into the uk from mainland Europe so why would a huge German company expand.
Probably for the same reason that my son in law who manages an Audi (not Aldi) dealership isn't worried one iota.

Day6 Mon 01-Oct-18 18:10:30

I think we all appreciate that countries in the EU will also want to do business with the UK, so Brussels may have to end the impasse. Why would Aldi keep on investing such huge sums? My step son works for Mercedes in the UK and he knows that huge firm have no desire to loose their UK market and workforce. It would hit them hard.

Pittcity Mon 01-Oct-18 19:15:49

Lidl and Aldi seem to stock a lot of British food.

M0nica Mon 01-Oct-18 19:23:58

The customer may benefit from their low prices - but what about their suppliers - and staff?

varian Mon 01-Oct-18 19:31:27

If the worst happens and we leave the EU, we will be a lot poorer but we will still have to eat something, so we will flock to Aldi and Lidl. Waitrose and M&S might not do so well.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:21:32

Why would Aldi keep on investing such huge sums?

Good question Day6 - which is the point I was trying to make about Aldi investing in more stores in the UK which will no longer be part of the EU, and in Australia which obviously is not, yet has withdrawn from Greece which is an EU country.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Oct-18 21:43:43

Aldis pay more than any of the other supermarkets, as far as I know.

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 22:36:49

The customer may benefit from their low prices - but what about their suppliers - and staff?

Aldi staff are some of the best paid staff, per hour, of any retailer. Currently £8.53 per hour at entry level, with a London weighting of £9.75 per hour. This is as opposed to Tesco who pay only £8.42.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:22:50

Tesco do not always treat their suppliers well - and I think the same goes for other supermarket chains too.
Aldi in Australia treat their suppliers better than other supermarkets as far as I am aware.

Nonnie Wed 03-Oct-18 11:28:26

Aldi staff seem to have been trained to be much quicker at the checkout which suits me. My shopping is always on the conveyor belt in the right order so I can quickly pack like with like. I have never understood why some checkout staff are so slow.

Wendiwoo Thu 04-Oct-18 10:17:56

I live in the Cotswolds and have both Lidl and Aldi nearby. Interestingly neither of them are as good as their stores where my daughter lives in the Midlands. In the Midlands the stores are bigger and have far more variety than our local ones do. Yet there are as many ‘prestige’ cars in our local Aldi and Lidl as there are in the nearby Waitrose, which must say something!

MaizieD Thu 04-Oct-18 10:29:45

What's the hurry, Nonnie?

Why do we expect everything to be done at superspeed? What about friendly chats with shop assistants and actually communicating with people we come into contact with in our lives?

newnanny Thu 04-Oct-18 10:30:19

There is a new Aldi just opened where my sister lives and she is so pleased as she has been long envious of me having one where I live. She rang a few weeks ago to tell me she had bought a high chair for her young grandchild to have at her house for when he eats there and it only cost £24. She says it is sturdy and easy to clean. My daughter uses their nappies for my grandson. She likes them and good price. I used to do big shop at Morrison's now use Aldi and just buy fruit and milk, bread mid week at Morrison's now.

henetha Thu 04-Oct-18 10:38:50

There's an Aldi being built not too far from here. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Pinkshoes26 Thu 04-Oct-18 10:42:54

Sainsburys is my weekly shop. I am not too fussed about which shop, just one that delivers to my door.

GabriellaG Thu 04-Oct-18 10:43:41

I've never been in or ordered from an Aldi, Lidl or Iceland...or Argos, come to think of it.
There are none of those stores within 20 miles anyway.

libra10 Thu 04-Oct-18 10:51:21

Plans have been passed to build a new Aldi within a mile from our village. Will definitely give it a try, bound to be cheaper than Tesco!

evianers Thu 04-Oct-18 10:54:00

Interesting : we have more Lidls than Aldis hereabouts.
However just across the border [17kms from here in Switzerland] there is an Aldi and a Lidl within 500 meters of each other. Fierce competition between them, but with the effect that they are taking away much of the custom from the other well-known Swiss supermarkets. We sometimes go over the border and shop between the two supermarkets.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 04-Oct-18 10:57:04

My first experience of Aldi was in a German town I was visiting in the early nineties. Was thrilled when not one but two of these fantastic stores opened in my area of the UK.

Harris27 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:05:41

All the girls at work now shop at aldi and we all eat really well! And save!!