Gransnet forums

News & politics

Welsh Politics

(76 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 18:24:43

Leanne Wood defeated in leadership election for Plaid Cymru.

Eluned Morgan is standing in the Welsh leader contest

Vote for Eluned

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 14:33:55

I don't know much about any of them, but I have seen Leanne on the tv several times, and I did see Vaughan Gething on tv the other day but he was talking about health, not the election.

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 15:00:07

It’s voting for the leader of Welsh Labour Jalima.

Leanne just lost leadership of Plaid Cymru

JessM Sat 06-Oct-18 17:57:57

Alan Price playing the Independence card. Cloud cuckoo land with about 25% of our money coming from Westminster. If you challenge the Nats they seem to think they can make up for this by charging Liverpool and the Midlands for raw water!

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 17:58:52

That must be where I got confused Anniebach.

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 18:18:50

Jalima, just so happened Plaid Cymru , Tories and Labour
Changing leadership about the same time

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:24:59

New brooms?
Or heading for chaos.

oldgimmer1 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:51:38

Plaid are Welsh Nationalists so bound to play the independence card.

Labour need a kick up the bum. So disappointing.

Still no proper road to the airport; still no M4 relief road at Newport.

No Swansea barrage either .

Wales is dying on its feet.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 20:06:19

No Swansea barrage either
That's the fault of the UK government, not the Welsh Assembly though, who want it to go ahead so I understand.

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 20:22:03

True Jalima

oldgimmer1 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:12:59

I'm beginning to wonder if the only growth industry in Wales is ill-health.

sad

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:57:49

and the Welsh language
smile

Lots of house building going on as well as people rush over to SE Wales from Bristol in anticipation of the abolition of bridge tolls. They could become dormitory towns alas.

Anniebach Sun 07-Oct-18 13:12:30

True Jalima

JessM Sun 07-Oct-18 16:06:09

UK government cut a billion from the Welsh budget in the name of austerity. Welsh government are prioritising health (which uses by far the biggest amount of money) and schools. This was no long before the PM found an extra billion for N Ireland, in the interests of keeping hold of power.

oldgimmer1 Mon 08-Oct-18 07:34:18

I sometimes wonder what the point of the Assembly is.

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Oct-18 08:15:09

Jalima1108, even with the Severn crossing tolls, Chepstow and the surrounding area are already dormitory housing for Bristol and Avonmouth/Portbury.

Housing prices in Bristol are now at a level that many find it cost-effective to find homes in the Chepstow area and then commute to the Bristol area for work even with the daily bridge toll.

That commute will dramatically increase when the bridge tolls end in December.

oldgimmer1 Mon 08-Oct-18 09:51:57

Whilst Chepstow, Magor etc are commutable to Bristol, I don't think anywhere east of the Tunnels will be realistically, even after tolls are abolished.

The traffic there is a nightmare and has been for years - we need that bypass desperately!

Everyone seems to be listening to the environmentalists but no-one is listening to business!

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 19:51:50

oldgimmer when we go over there we have noticed a lot of housebuilding going on en route to Spytty. I have heard that people from Bristol are buying there because it is so easy to access via the Second Severn Crossing - in fact easier than trying to commute across Bristol.

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 19:57:18

Drayford is very proud that he wa the only member of the Welsh Assembly who supported Corbyn.

Coincidence that UNITE are now supporting him for the leadership ?

oldgimmer1 Mon 08-Oct-18 21:53:50

I've heard traffic in Bristol is horrendous. I can understand the attraction of the Newport area - really cheap too.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 23:04:08

I've heard traffic in Bristol is horrendous.
Yes!

oldgimmer1 Tue 09-Oct-18 07:18:24

It's a beautiful city though.

Cardiff feels very parochial and little by comparison. smile.

Anniebach Tue 09-Oct-18 08:46:40

Eluned wants a minister for North Wales, very much needed , everything run from the south .

Grandad1943 Tue 09-Oct-18 08:55:14

Bristol in the last decade has very much become a "boom" city and where many wish to live. Employment as always is the key to the above with the city centre being finance industry dominated while to the north of the city the areas of Avonmouth and Portbury are magnets for manufacturing, commerce and the ports themselves.

The north of the city development has all been built up around the transport infrastructure being on the intersection of the M4 and M5 motoways. The centre of the city is served by the major rail links through Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway which transport the huge daily commuter base the city now attracts.

However, in recent years, Bristol has become a victim of its own success with our now famous traffic jams and overcrowded rail infrastructure. Therefore commuting from the Chepstow and Newport areas via the Severn crossings to Avonmouth or Portbury is seen as more manageable than trying to cross the city, while the rail network serves well the city centre from that same area

North Somerset is also seen as good "commuter country" for the city, but traffic congestion on the motorway is now proving that such commutes can be stressful and as was being reported on the news recently very dangerous.

However, still many are wishing to live in and around the City of Bristol with Twenty thousand new homes being ordered to be built in North Somerset and similar number I believe in the Chepstow, Magor and to the East of Newport.

The above has been quite some change to witness by those of us who have lived in the area for many years. confused

Anniebach Tue 09-Oct-18 08:59:17

Drayford promises baby boxes for all new born.

Grandad1943 Tue 09-Oct-18 09:11:44

Not sure how all the above development in and around Monmouthshire will affect the elections in Wales now and in yeas to come Annie?