Gransnet forums

News & politics

Welsh Politics

(75 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 18:24:43

Leanne Wood defeated in leadership election for Plaid Cymru.

Eluned Morgan is standing in the Welsh leader contest

Vote for Eluned

bmacca Wed 03-Oct-18 19:51:48

Anniebach, is she on the official nomination list now? I know there was talk at Conference that hopefully she’d get the nominations, but I wasn’t sure what has happened since

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 20:18:18

bmacca, yes she is, she was one nomination short so Carwyn Jones who wasn’t going to get involved, did, he wanted a woman in the contest so made the 6th. Vaughan Gething has 6 and Mark Drakeford 17. Says much about Drakeford that he wouldn’t loan Eluned one nomination.

bmacca Wed 03-Oct-18 20:39:41

Well I’m pleased to hear there’s a woman on the list. Did she used to be an MEP?

muffinthemoo Wed 03-Oct-18 20:43:39

I’ve always liked what I’ve seen of Leanne, but I assume Plaid want to replace her for a reason.

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 20:47:10

Yes she was for about 14 years, she has been very active in Welsh politics for quite a few years , she is now AM for Mid and West Wales

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 21:01:49

muffin, Leanne hasn’t drawn new members

BBbevan Thu 04-Oct-18 06:35:14

Well we are just getting to grips with Welsh politics and politicians, having been here for just 2 years. They are names you very rarely hear in England.
I do like Vaughan Gethin though and Eluned Morgan.

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 09:03:47

I doubt Wales will vote for a female leader but I will campaign for Eluned . Vaughan if not Eluned . Drakeford is the favourite ! He has UNITE supporting him.

nigglynellie Thu 04-Oct-18 10:00:06

Oh Annie, NO!!!

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 10:10:05

Oh yes niggly ! I am waiting for the start of the campaign and can see who else is supporting him.

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 19:01:34

It has started, I had a phone call today, canvassers for Vaughan Gethin, the three are being interviewed today , I had an email too with dates and places for the hustings.

I listened to the new leader of Plaid Cymru, impressed, reminded me of Welsh politicians of old, perhaps just what Plaid needs , some oooomph

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Oct-18 19:35:15

I hadn't heard of him before - Adam Price.

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 19:46:24

Yes, I was curious who they got shot of Leanne for, did you hear him?

oldgimmer1 Fri 05-Oct-18 21:15:35

I like Leanne.

She's not a Welsh speaker though.

I think Adam Price is. As is the candidate I thought would get the leadership - Rhun ap Iorwerth.

I think being Welsh speaking DOES matter to PC.

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 21:23:03

Leanne learned Welsh when she was appointed leader

Adam Price is from Carmathern Leanne from Rhondda so no surprise he speaks Welsh

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 21:24:31

Who will win annie what do you think?

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 21:29:06

I think Mark Drayford will win, Gethyn Vaughan second , Eluned lowest number of votes .

I do get my knickers in a twist, I will canvass for Eluned but am tempted to vote for Gethyn in the hope of beating Drayford , hypocrite that I am

oldgimmer1 Fri 05-Oct-18 22:05:05

Leanne has done brilliantly to become leader of Plaid,

However she has learned Welsh so IMHO will never be quite right for PC, whose identity has historically been bound up in Welsh Nationalism.

She also did brilliantly to take Rhondda for Plaid, especially from Labour,

I don't think she has cross-Wales appeal though. Too "Valleys".

I like Eluned Morgan - however I think her nomination smacks too much of tokenism.

Drakeford in my view is the clear winner. He has experience and will be a safe pair of hands.

Overthehills Fri 05-Oct-18 22:16:08

Put me out of my misery Annie and tell me how to pronounce Eluned. I hate not knowing!

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 22:29:00

El - In - Ed , the d is quite soft and the in isn’t as harsh as the English in .

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 22:30:56

I was amazed when Leanne took Rhondda from Labour , never, ever thought that would happen.

Overthehills Fri 05-Oct-18 22:55:05

Thanks Annie.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:47:05

Thanks Annie, I have been calling her Ell-You-Nedd
(not to her face, obviously, as I've never met her)

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 11:45:46

It’s difficult to fully explain how welsh names are pronounced, some letters are softer when spoken than read , such as tin, the e is as strong as the n, but in Eluned the n is softer.

Jalima, she is a very nice and kind woman, i admire her for standing for the leadership. I am waiting to learn who is supporting each candidate, I hear UNITE and UNISON are behind Drayford !