Gransnet forums

News & politics

Peoples' Vote March Saturday 20th October

(246 Posts)
varian Tue 16-Oct-18 13:19:31

In June, more than 100,000 people from all walks of life marched on Parliament to demand their democratic voice is heard.

A crisis is coming this Autumn when MPs will have to decide whether to make our country poorer, trash our vital public services and wreck the life chances of the young or give us all a People’s Vote on any Brexit deal.

So we are planning an even bigger march, this time led by young people whose voices were ignored two years ago, that will make political leaders sit up and take notice.

The People’s Vote March For The Future will be the most important protest of our generation.

www.peoples-vote.uk/march

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 11:31:01

It is clear that May’s deal would weaken the nation. No deal would be total disaster. Brexit was a false dream, sold by shysters making phoney promises. As smoke clears from the battlefield it is entirely democratic to seek a fresh vote, whether from the electorate, now it can see the shape of their proposed future, or in Parliament.

inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/theresa-may-brexit-deal-weaken-nation-no-deal-disaster-whats-next/

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 10:38:30

Voters in every Labour area now support a Final Say referendum on the Brexit outcome, new research shows, piling fresh pressure on Jeremy Corbyn to back the idea.

The huge survey also found that a majority of Labour supporters in the Westminster seats the party holds back staying in the EU – despite claims that traditional supporters are still pro-Brexit.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-final-say-referendum-labour-leave-eu-jess-phillips-a8615011.html

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Nov-18 17:00:13

Are you a staunch Brexit supporter maryeliza? Sorry, but I can't remember, but could that be why you have such an aversion to Jo Johnson?

Jo Johnson is a staunch Remainer and I think that he would like to see us have another in or out referendum.

I think Jo Johnson is quite different from his publicity-seeking brother.
He really cannot help which schools he attended when he was young.

POGS Sat 10-Nov-18 16:17:44

maryeliza

" POGs of course I don’t believe that - there you go as usual making throughly ridiculous inferences. "
---

You posted:-

" Jo Johnson is just another Eton educated self serving entitled privileged waste of space. "

" Eton educated men are by definition totally out of touch with the lives of the overwhelming majority of the population. "

Your tone/rhetoric and statement leads to the obvious conclusion if you feel because somebody is privileged , Eton educated they are a waste of space so it was a perfectly fair question to ask. Making such a sweeping statement concerning an MP there was a natural question to be asked where you stood on them serving as MP's.

As for my question being a ' ridiculous inference ' I can only make an ' inference ' based on the evidence and reasoning by reading what you state and you made your opinion very clear or I wouldn't have asked.

maryeliza54 Sat 10-Nov-18 14:29:38

Cameron’s day was 2 years ago - the influence is still there

maryeliza54 Sat 10-Nov-18 14:29:00

POGs of course I don’t believe that - there you go as usual making throughly ridiculous inferences. There are far too many public school educated men in politics and the influence of Eton in particular has helped shape the sorry state of British political life, BJ, JJ, DC, JRM for starters. At least by having more women we reduce the old Etonians

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Nov-18 13:19:09

I think it's changed somewhat since Cameron's day

POGS Sat 10-Nov-18 13:15:11

Maryeliza

I'll ask again

" Do you believe our MP's should be from only one educated / class section of the population ?"

maryeliza54 Sat 10-Nov-18 12:40:04

I deliberately didn’t say Cabinet Jal

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:50:04

sorry, link:
www.gov.uk/government/ministers

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:49:45

Here's the Cabinet (presumably what one would term the higher echelons - I can't find one who attended Eton, but you may find one maryeliza.

maryeliza54 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:39:00

And are overrepresented in the higher echelons of the Conservative party.And JJ is such a little sheltered boy that his daddy and his sister have to be all over the media supporting him - WTAF?

maryeliza54 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:36:54

Eton educated men are by definition totally out of touch with the lives of the overwhelming majority of the population

POGS Sat 10-Nov-18 11:16:53

I haven't been an inverted snob / class warrior for years Maryeliza so the education/class of any MP does not concern me as I look past the bigotry that surrounds it.

Do you believe our MP's should be from only one educated / class section of the population ?

Anniebach Sat 10-Nov-18 09:17:13

Jo Johnson will be sure of a higher position than transport if they get rid of T.May

maryeliza54 Fri 09-Nov-18 23:21:19

Jo Johnson is just another Eton educated self serving entitled privileged waste of space. Have you already forgotten the fiasco of the Toby Young affair when JJwas Universities Minister, had a well paid job going on one of his quangos, gave it to his mate TY without following any due process or due diligence? TY then had to resign when his utterly disgusting series of sexist tweets were revealed. TY deleted about 30000 tweets when it all blew up but sadly for him the worst had been screenshotted. He (JJ)was then moved by TM to Transport ( he should have been sacked - more fool her) where of course he has shone (not) And across the Media this evening has been dad Stanley and sister Rachel- why? That’s JJs judgement for you and how he’s prepared to use his political power. Don’t be fooled - he only gives a damn about what’s in it for him.

Izabella Fri 09-Nov-18 20:48:36

Can someone explain what the backstop business is all about please?

varian Fri 09-Nov-18 19:27:27

Jo Johnson resigns as transport minister and calls for new Brexit referendum

news.sky.com/story/jo-johnson-resigns-as-transport-minister-over-incoherent-brexit-11549402

Boris may be bonkers but his brother talks a lot of sense.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 19:24:41

LP
by LP I meant Labour Party of course

EllanVannin Thu 08-Nov-18 19:20:02

Liberals ? The killjoy party ! The Liverpool Cllr spoke to the local Echo saying that " he was pleased that the Coca Cola truck won't be coming to Liverpool "---- due to childhood obesity !!
The truck has called for 6 years and for the past 3 there's been a debate on whether or not it continues.
Bah Humbug to the Lib Dems !!

lemongrove Thu 08-Nov-18 19:18:06

The Lib Dems are now slowly but surely slipping down the pan.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 19:09:50

or unless the LP ….
no, surely not, they wouldn't be that sensible

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 19:08:48

Perhaps if the Liberals (Lib Dems) had stuck to more of their principles they may have more supporters now MaizieD

I shan't waste my vote on them next time, which means I will probably not vote at all. Unless the MRLP have a candidate here.

MaizieD Thu 08-Nov-18 18:48:35

*Brilliant, POGS, just brilliant grin
I love it when poster remember this stuff.

Do tell me just for how long political parties are obliged to hold on to policies they no longer support; 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 100 years?

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 17:55:16

It's called flip-flopping

It's probably why they are in the political doldrums, unfortunately.