Gransnet forums

News & politics

Peoples' Vote March Saturday 20th October

(245 Posts)
varian Tue 16-Oct-18 13:19:31

In June, more than 100,000 people from all walks of life marched on Parliament to demand their democratic voice is heard.

A crisis is coming this Autumn when MPs will have to decide whether to make our country poorer, trash our vital public services and wreck the life chances of the young or give us all a People’s Vote on any Brexit deal.

So we are planning an even bigger march, this time led by young people whose voices were ignored two years ago, that will make political leaders sit up and take notice.

The People’s Vote March For The Future will be the most important protest of our generation.

www.peoples-vote.uk/march

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 13:39:15

It's great to see how many Mumsnetters are planning to go on the march.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3378758-Anybody-Marching-on-the-20th-October?pg=5

jura2 Tue 16-Oct-18 13:58:20

I had planned to be there- but sadly had no choice but to cancel for family reasons. I am so glad a couple of people will carry my name.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Oct-18 14:18:45

Whose voices were ignored varian? Those on the march who weren't old enough to vote can't claim their voices were ignored, and those who didn't bother to vote are hardly in a position to make such a claim.

What about the voices of those who voted and voted for Brexit? Why is it OK to ignore their voices? Everyone who was able to vote and did so was 'heard'.

For some, the vote for Brexit was "the most important protest of our generation"; a protest against the EU.

paddyann Tue 16-Oct-18 15:33:15

shame they want to drag us out with them !!Scotland voted REMAIN .

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 15:39:43

The voices of the Leave voters are the only voices which have been listened to although their message is utterly confused - everything from "get rid of the immigrants" to " I hate the government" to "I always vote the way I'm told to by the Express" to "these foreigners never vote for us in the Eurovision Song Contest" to "bring back bendy bananas and old fashioned light bulbs", and so on. (I've not made any of these the up).

The Remain voters did know what they voted for - to keep the UK in the EU with all its advantages.

crystaltipps Tue 16-Oct-18 16:39:09

I’ll be there.

MaizieD Tue 16-Oct-18 16:43:20

For some, the vote for Brexit was "the most important protest of our generation"; a protest against the EU.

But not for very many. Polling shows that over the decade before the referendum fewer than 10% of Brits thought that the EU was of any particular importance. This is not the picture of a nation straining to loose its chains... And who's to say that some of that fewer than 10% were interested in the EU because they approved of it?

As to the argument that 'no-one knows' what Brexit will be like the consensus among all but a very few experts is that it will be on a scale of bad, badder and baddest.*

I would really be interested in answers to the question that Leavers never answer. "What harm has been done to you by the EU?"

(* I do know that that is completely ungrammatical so please don't waste time pointing it out to me)

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 18:49:52

The right-wing newspapers, and , most especially the BBC, which relentlessly promoted Farage by inviting him to speak on Question Time 29 times when only one other MEP (Tory Brexiter Daniel Hannan) was invited once , have a lot to answer for.

lemongrove Tue 16-Oct-18 18:51:56

Another daft march ( which won’t make any difference btw.)
Young people didn’t bother to vote two years ago.

crystaltipps Tue 16-Oct-18 18:57:48

Lots of the older voters will have pegged it before any kind of Brexit happens and certainly before any of the “benefits”?

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 19:00:14

You may well be right. One million people marched to oppose the Iraq War, but it still went ahead. How many people now think that was a good idea?

How many people do you think need to march in London for any government, or even the BBC, to pay attention?

The protesters were absolutely right about the Iraq war, and the marchers on Saturday are right about brexit.

The only good outcome is to recognise that the government and parliament have failed to resolve this issue and so it should go back to the people, who hopefully this time might be better informed of the consequences of their votes.

lemongrove Tue 16-Oct-18 19:00:16

Nice! hmm

tinaf1 Tue 16-Oct-18 19:01:14

I thought the people had voted

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 19:11:37

About 26% of the British people voted to leave and a lot of them believed lies - like the lie on the bus. None of this nonsense is "the will of the people".

Eloethan Tue 16-Oct-18 19:20:28

What about the lie that "the Brexit deal will be the 'easiest thing in human history'. That was a whopper wasn't it!

lemongrove Tue 16-Oct-18 19:22:04

Here we go round the mulberry bush yet again!

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 19:29:14

Why do these leavers continue to ignore the evidence?

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Oct-18 19:44:14

The EU hasn't done me any harm personally Mazie, what would you say the EU has done to benefit you, personally?

Your post of 15.39 varian I wouldn't presume to accuse you of having made any of it up but really, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel to even imply that the majority of
those who voted for Brexit did so for those reasons, and those reasons alone.

I voted Brexit because IMO it's more advantageous to not be a member.

The simple, all be it rather unpalatable truth varian is that you are not really interested in why those who voted leave did so. How on earth do you know that a lot leavers blindly believed lies "like the lie on the bus"? And please don't tell me that you've discussed this with leavers because you've never shown the slightest intention of listening too and/or respecting the democratic right of anyone who isn't in agreement with you.

It is the will of the people. The will of those who voted for Brexit just as it would have been the will of the people if the vote had gone the other way.

The current impasse isn't just because of our Government's failure it's also due to the failure of the EU to enter into negotiations in a mature and respectful manner.

"The Remain voters did know what they voted for - to keep the UK in the EU with all it's advantages". The Brexit voters knew that they were voting for varian to keep the UK out of the EU because of all of its disadvantages.

The people have voted tinafl and regardless of why they voted the way they did, the result was for Brexit and it is that that should be honoured.

crystaltipps Tue 16-Oct-18 19:45:11

Do leavers really think Brexit is going as they thought it would? no doubt they will say anything negative is the fault of the EU and our government have been super efficient. Do they really believe all the benefits we were promised will be happening? Do they think the whole country is supporting the extremists?

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Oct-18 19:52:34

I voted for Brexit and no, I don't support extremists on either side crystaltipps so I don't think the whole country is supporting them either.

It's not going as well as I'd hoped and as I never believed all the benefits that were promised I'm not completely disappointed. I voted to leave the EU and any disappointments I may have will be tempered when we leave.

lemongrove Tue 16-Oct-18 19:58:26

Ditto Smileless smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:06:54

I voted leave, as did my well educated children. We are not racist, it was never about immigration. It was about not being controlled by Germany and some extent France.

The French and Germans did not want us to join in the first place, they are worried about losing our contribution as we are one of I believe 3 nett contributors to the EU budget.

I did not have a problem with the "common market" but have no interest in being part of a "Federal Europe"

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 20:12:53

The only extremists are on the loony brexit side - ERG (ok, they are a group, but know nothing about Europe or research).

They are right-wing extremists who have there own agenda. If you do not support that (make the rich richer at the expense of everyone else), then you should see sense and oppose it.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:14:10

GrannyGravysmile German car manufacturers are very concerned about a no deal Brexit because it will impact on their trade.

De Gaul voted against our membership of the Common Market in the 70's. We are not and never have been a valued member of the EU which is evident by the disdain with which this country has been treated ever since the referendum.