Gransnet forums

News & politics

Children’s Services in Crisis

(37 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 29-Oct-18 09:13:04

All the news papers this morning agree on this headline, based on recent research.
For me it’s not a complex subject. This country can afford to fund good services for children. The ideological and in my view, cold, heartless, rejecting of all expert opinion and research approach taken by our current and recent governments has led to the crisis.
Fund the Services, short term expense, long term savings. Plus we’d live in a happier, more stable country

oldbatty Tue 30-Oct-18 09:57:10

rise not rice!

Lazigirl Tue 30-Oct-18 10:02:58

I worked with families for most of my working life and before I left I could see the adverse effects that cuts were beginning to have on CAMHS, preschool provision, counselling and so many other services. I am also surprised that people are not out demonstrating on the streets but it isn’t the British way is it? I think that the poor mental health of children is a symptom of a wider dysfunctional society, which has become more selfish, individualistic and polarised. There of course some who are doing well in our society and have no will to change things as they are not adversely affected. The chancellor has just offered a bribe of tax cuts which will no doubt win the Tories the next election.

Anniebach Tue 30-Oct-18 10:19:07

What is going wrong in the home because home is where foundations are formed

oldbatty Tue 30-Oct-18 10:21:38

Yes, Lazy I agree. That is my perception. There are very few opportunities for social mobility. People are stuck in ghettos, school league tables fan the flames and the gap widens.

Having said that, I live in what is regarded as a wealthy area and there is a massive increase in MH problems.

oldbatty Tue 30-Oct-18 10:25:00

I think Annie, schools used to be able to some extent provide some of the nurture that sadly is missing from many homes.
I don't think that is the case despite the very best efforts of many.

I also think the obsession with social media has a lot to answer for.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Oct-18 10:39:03

Social media has a lot to blame for children/young peoples mental health issues. Instagram/Facebook posts which have been edited and airbrushed show an unachievable image. Many false accounts of their social lives. Bullying on line is on the increase, new to this generation, different problems seen by a multitude of "followers".

The foundations for a happy, secure and confident life must start in the home, whether it be a traditional family, lone parent (through divorce, bereavement or choice), 2 Mums or 2 Dads.

Different reasons for mental health problems need different solutions, maybe the services need a new approach.

Luckygirl Tue 30-Oct-18 11:13:20

But where the home is less than ideal the state needs to step in to prevent further mayhem down the line - but without money allocated to such services it cannot do so. Hence these poor children's needs being squeezed out.

oldbatty Tue 30-Oct-18 11:24:05

Yes, lucky and I can bet as with a lot of things he/she who makes a fuss is first in the queue when it comes to getting help.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Oct-18 11:37:31

Luckygirl, Oldbatty I agree that the state should be there as a safety net.

In some families where there is unemployment, low educational achievements over several generations, they may not realise that their children have mental health issues, and when they do have no idea how to access the services available (if any).

Schools exclude "difficult" children and the cycle continues.

Let's hope that the money pledged in the budget yesterday has a positive effect.

Iam64 Tue 30-Oct-18 18:37:02

Did anyone see the media reports today about a vulnerable 17 year old homeless boy. The reports say he refused housing offered because it was 30 miles away. A social worker was involved and somehow it was deemed suitable to buy the boy a tent which the social worker helped him put up. The boy became emaciated and ended up in a psychiatric unit.
This is indefensible. I'll bet though, that no money has been spent on building or maintaining housing for vulnerable 17 year olds in Cornwall. There is a real issue about second homes in all our beautiful sea or countryside areas. Housing is beyond the reach of local people. That's a whole other rant though I expect.

Anniebach Tue 30-Oct-18 18:42:24

If the poor boy refused to move for accommodation what could be done for him ?