Gransnet forums

News & politics

‘Grenfell’ bonfire

(275 Posts)
Rosieroe Mon 05-Nov-18 19:21:14

I’m disgusted at what I’ve seen on the evening news. People made a ‘effigy’ of Grenfell tower and put it on a bonfire, laughing and making jokes about it. Some faces were clearly visible on the video and I hope they are all taken to court for hate crime. What is it coming to when a crowd of British people think that the deaths of others in an horrific fire is a joke?

Baggs Wed 07-Nov-18 16:47:23

Hear, hear! Well said, grandad!

A tweet I saw yesterday said it was 'sobering' and extraordinary that the only people to be arrested in connection with the Grenfell disaster have been those impersonating missing or dead people and the back garden bonfire nincumpoops.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Nov-18 16:57:10

Well we wouldn’t want a proper investigation of an extraordinarily complex case would we?
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/13/police-chief-grenfell-tower-criminal-inquiry-may-take-years-cressida-dick

lemongrove Wed 07-Nov-18 17:29:36

It will take years, and I had much rather it did and do the job properly and thoroughly, than a rush to a wrong conclusion and blame being apportioned where it doesn’t deserve to be. ( The Grenfell Inquiry.)

On the subject of the racist morons who burned a mock up of Grenfell Towers, their act was not criminal ( in a back garden after all) but putting it on the Internet may well constitute a criminal act. Of course it was morally wrong and disgusting, and all on GN ( I have just read all the posts)
Agree with that.
oldbatty you have been very insulting to many GNers by calling them racists, it seems you can dish it out but not take it yourself.
It would be good if posters could take the time to read and understand other posts before weighing in with negative comments.

Anniebach Wed 07-Nov-18 17:35:05

Perhaps granddad1943, there will be a tightening up of health and safety, and to quote you on another disaster ‘what better tribute to the deceased ‘

MawBroon Wed 07-Nov-18 17:55:08

Leave me out of this please Jura.

MawBroon Wed 07-Nov-18 17:57:25

Maw you should therefore know better
Sorry this should have been part of that post.

Grandad1943 Wed 07-Nov-18 18:15:52

maryeliza54 in my earlier post I was not trying to pre-judge the outcome of the inquiry in any way. In that, I most certainly hope those that brought about this disaster are brought to justice in the not too distant future.

However, many of us in our workplace have been following the podcasts from the inquiry, and we all have "a feeling" that it is not going well in terms of "pinning down" any one person or group of persons regarding culpability in the disaster.

Unlike Hillsborough where the opening of the side gate was accepted early in the final inquiry by all as the one single action that brought about the tragedy, the Grenfell inquiry seems to be rolling out that it was any number of actions by any number of people eventually contributing in total to bring about a terrible outcome.

As has been stated, there is a long way to go with many witnesses still to give evidence before the inquiry will be in a position to draw any conclusions regarding the liability of individual persons or corporate bodies. The foregoing may well be several years into the future, and many now wonder if true justice will be served even then.

petra Wed 07-Nov-18 18:29:56

Absolutely agree Grandad1943
I was getting very angry a week or so back when those wonderful fire fighters seem to be taking a hammering.
It almost sounded as if they were pointing the blame for the loss of life on the firemen.

oldbatty Wed 07-Nov-18 19:29:16

'I know the others in the video as I have seen them around and would drink with them at the Conservative Club.

Chewbacca Wed 07-Nov-18 19:44:53

confused

Anniebach Wed 07-Nov-18 19:52:26

Expect they voted leave batty!

POGS Wed 07-Nov-18 20:59:21

Oldbatty

' I know the others in the video as I have seen them around and would drink with them at the Conservative Club.
-----

Are you stating the above on your behalf or have I missed another poster say that?

Chewbacca Wed 07-Nov-18 21:12:53

That's what I was confused about POGS. I've read back and can't see a post that says that anywhere else, so maybe oldbatty knows them and thinks they're ok people to have a drink with? hmm

Iam64 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:18:50

POGS and Chewbacca - that's a quote from a neighbour, according to the Daily Fail on line, which I read this morning. The journalist had been down the street talking to neighbours and the consensus seemed to be (or at least was reported to be) that the family whose bonfire this was, are known to like to party and enjoy a drink. one neighbour suggested they may not be welcome at the Conservative Club as a result of the incident. I can't imagine anyone could seriously try to suggest that the fact they drink at the Conservative club somehow adds anything to this dreadful incident.

Anniebach Wed 07-Nov-18 21:28:50

I didn’t expect a joke on this thread

petra Wed 07-Nov-18 21:34:57

Oldbattys comment was in the Daily Mail. And as it's now been established we can believe that that paper wink

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Nov-18 22:09:03

I can't see what is has to do with anything confused

Presumably they seem normal enough neighbours but there is often another side to people that others don't see, which in this case has come out.
The one redeeming feature is that they went to the police station voluntarily, so I believe, so perhaps they are feeling a sense of shame.

POGS Wed 07-Nov-18 22:14:13

Thanks posters for explanation.

Fennel Wed 07-Nov-18 22:16:33

"The one redeeming feature is that they went to the police station voluntarily, so I believe, so perhaps they are feeling a sense of shame."
That's what I thought.
I hope it wasn't just because of public pressure.
This whole issue could be the tip of the iceberg of what seems to be a general lack of compassion for the suffering of others.
Where it comes from, is the big question.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Nov-18 22:34:16

I really can’t believe they went to the police out of a sense of shame - they sat and made the effigy including little figures. They built a bonfire, they put it on carefully, they shouted things like jump, ninja, that’s what happens when you don’t pay your rent, stay in your flat, we’ll come and get you. These people couldn’t spell shame let alone feel it. They went to the police because their faces were all over social media and the police would have been knocking at their doors within hours and they might also have been fearful for their safety - maybe they also thought that it might get them a bit of credit. But shame? Have they apologised through a solicitor? No nothing at all from them.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Nov-18 22:43:16

Grandad my understanding is that the police investigations and the enquiry are happening in parallel but the former is not dependent upon the latter. The point I was trying to make earlier was that the police have not made arrests yet because it’s a long and complex multi stranded investigation. The fraud cases and this current incident were/are clearly much more straightforward to deal with and nothing to do with the main issues or say anything about how they are being dealt with.

MissAdventure Wed 07-Nov-18 22:58:41

My feeling is that they feared repercussions, that's why they went to the police.
I wonder if at any time whilst building the model and setting it alright, they had any misgivings about it?
It certainly seems not.

Chewbacca Wed 07-Nov-18 23:22:39

I'm feeling quite relieved that I've not seen, or heard, the video they made of themselves. It's nauseating enough reading the excerpts of it on here. sad

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:43:03

The problem is that some people who have not seen it think they can make a judgment that it’s not that bad.