Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this JC’s “Donkey jacket gate”?

(219 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 12-Nov-18 11:11:26

inews.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyns-coat-armistice-day-service-cenotaph/

Harrumph!
I know appearance is not everything, but could Jeremy Corbyn not have found a more appropriate coat and tie?
Looks like a bit of a passive aggressive statement to me.

MawBroon Mon 12-Nov-18 11:46:37

Which part of my original post was exactly a LIE?
(Given that it was my opinion)

Was it I know appearance is not everything
Or was it looks like .....to me ?

Sparklefizz Mon 12-Nov-18 11:46:38

Personally I think it is quite an important issue because the face we show to the world is how we want people to see us. If we dress as a Goth, or a hippie, or covered in tattoos, we are making a statement.

Representatives from all over the world have been wearing their best in order to show respect at various remembrance ceremonies in Europe, at the Albert Hall, etc - Corbyn wanted to make a statement and I read that statement to say that he couldn't care less. shock ducks below parapet!!!

stree Mon 12-Nov-18 11:47:04

He can do smart, he does it for HAMAS, Jerry Adams, Et Al, just not for any Pro UK cause.

MawBroon Mon 12-Nov-18 11:48:07

Well I’ll leave the children to play bless - it’s not as though they are up to anything that matters
Why are some people nasty to each other Nanasam?

Sadly some seem incapable of a different response. .

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:48:09

Although I think Corbyn has got better, dresses and suppressed some of his more extreme views in the interests of hanging on to power popularity, he still has much of the student radical in him.

Statesman he is not and will never be.

mind you, Trump looks smart, nice overcoat ….. but he doesn't turn up when there is a ceremony.

I'm fence-sitting, aren't I!

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 11:53:23

He should have stayed away, but that would have been honest, Corbyn doesn’t do honest

Parsley3 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:54:34

On my first impression I thought JC looked scruffy but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt even with the too long trouser legs. But when I saw the hood I laughed out loud. Not clever or smart, JC. However I doubt that he gave his attire a moments thought. He gives me the impression that he is out of his depth and that John Mcdonnell is the power behind the throne.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:56:07

He should have stayed away, but that would have been honest
that thought crossed my mind, he probably would have preferred to stay away and make a point. However, his desire to hang on to leadership probably over-rode that.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Nov-18 11:57:07

Corbyn had a lovely overcoat on last year.
May have been because it had been raining there in the morning and his Crombie might have shrunk hahahaha.

I wonder why he chose to wear an old mac though ? Perhaps it's his impoverished look in keeping with a Labour leader.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:59:39

perhaps he went to put his nice black overcoat on and found the moth had got to it, so he had to grab whatever coat he could find.

NanaandGrampy Mon 12-Nov-18 12:00:57

I am another that thought he looked odd amongst a sea of suits and overcoats.

If wearing an anorak complete with hood was a statement -- I have to say it reflects poorly on him. It was a time for respect as evinced in the clothing of all the others there. If those poor ex soldiers confined to wheelchairs could turn up in a blazer then so could JC.

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 12:05:00

Last year he earned £114,342, how could he afford anything other than an anorak

Nandalot Mon 12-Nov-18 12:12:23

The small poppy that some of you have mentioned is actually an enamel pin. This year’s version has been very popular as it is the centenary. The pin has the year on it. My DH , the local organiser of the poppy collection in our village, wears one and he is certainly not being disrespectful.

gillybob Mon 12-Nov-18 12:12:51

Aaaah fair point Annie maybe his expenses don't run to suits, poppies and overcoats.

nigglynellie Mon 12-Nov-18 12:13:54

The German President (?) looked extremely smart and behaved with great respect. Pity Corbyn had to have one eye on the student electorate! His bow was better this year, so perhaps there's hope?!!

MawBroon Mon 12-Nov-18 12:14:12

It has to be a statement though doesn’t it ?
The ex-servicemen dressed properly as they were effectively “on parade” and also they probably remembered what their “Sarnt major” would have said to them if they had turned out looking stuffy!
Body language and appearance can be very eloquent though. I was not personally bothered until thinking about it after, but BIL turned up in a scruffy anorak type thing (with a rip in the sleeve) to Paws funeral. He is a retired professor and no doubt saw nothing wrong with the scruffy absent minded academic look. Their father would have given him such a bo**ocking!

MawBroon Mon 12-Nov-18 12:15:07

“Scruffy” not “stuffy”.

loopyloo Mon 12-Nov-18 12:18:24

Well, I wondered beforehand if he would even be there. Haven't seen anything of him recently and wondered if he was still alive. Also wondered what "statement" he would make. Now we know.

grannyticktock Mon 12-Nov-18 12:22:58

It's not a fashion parade or a display of individual beliefs. A dark coloured coat seems fine to me, although it would have looked smarter if he had either removed the hood or had someone to straighten and flatten it for him. A red tie matches the red poppies, and many people, including Royals, were wearing tiny poppy pins this year.
Corbyn can't do right for doing wrong. If he had appeared in a formal, Trump-style overcoat with a big fat poppy, people would have said he was being hypocritical.

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 12:26:56

All the people who paid their respects wearing an overcoat and a normal size poppy were hypocrites ? Awful lot of hypocrites there then

Riverwalk Mon 12-Nov-18 12:36:37

He's the leader of HM Opposition why should he stay away? Admittedly he doesn't scrub-up well - it's that scruffy beard!

David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Tony Blair, etc., and all our other smooth and shiny politicians, are they more statesman-like because of smart overcoats and big poppies?

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 12:41:48

Nothing to do with his beard, all to do with dressing appropriately for the occasion, if ex servicemen young and old can do so then so can this aged politician who thinks he is in the sixties .

oldgimmer1 Mon 12-Nov-18 12:44:03

It did put me in mind of Michael Foot and THAT jacket - as I recall it wasn't even a donkey jacket per se.

The media had a field day though and as I recall it was pretty much the end of Foot, alas.

Corbyn should be politically savvy enough by now to know that if he is seen to be inappropriately dressed at a serious event he will be pulled to pieces.

Bad form, Jezza.

Teetime Mon 12-Nov-18 12:51:55

Just to add my fourpennnorth I yelled 'what the hell does he look like?' when JC hoved into view at the Senotaph - shabby I thought and a very deliberate cynical ploy on his part.

And BYTW - what the hell is all this nasty stuff on here- cant there be a debate among adults without resorting to this?

ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 12:52:44

Maw I see no lies. Perhaps the thread title was misunderstood confused

DD commented on the red tie. We like others thought he looked scruffy to