Gransnet forums

News & politics

So no hope from Jeremy either?

(525 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 07:57:09

It seems JC would still back Brexit even if another election brought him to power.
How to shoot yourself in the foot?
From The Guardian this weekend

Jeremy Corbyn is facing a storm of criticism from Labour activists and MPs after suggesting he would press ahead with Brexit if the party won a snap general election.
In a sign that he is losing backing among overwhelmingly pro-Remain Labour supporters, Corbyn was also accused of betraying the party membership by appearing reluctant to back the idea of supporting Remain in a second referendum
The first signs of a serious internal revolt from party members on the left, who helped propel him to the leadership, came after Corbyn gave an interview to the Guardian in which he suggested he thought Brexit should go ahead and said EU state-aid rules would prevent a Labour government intervening to support UK industries.

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 20:05:12

Opinoin polls correctly conducted, do give a very accurate picture of the whole population.

Anniebach Sun 06-Jan-19 20:11:24

25,000 of Labour Party members is not an accurate picture of the voting public

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 20:21:24

The polled sampls was 25,000 of the general public

Anniebach Sun 06-Jan-19 20:28:08

It was said on the news you gov polled 25,000 labour members , but if there was a poll of 25,000 voters too small a number to say the majority in the country want to remain

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 20:38:17

All polls over the last year have shown a remain majority but this is an exceptionally large sample giving a conclusive result.

Anniebach Sun 06-Jan-19 21:43:32

Varian I do understand how much you want a second referendum, sometimes polls are fairly accurate, sometimes not.

varian Mon 07-Jan-19 10:50:41

A second referendum would not be my first choice, but it would be the best way forward if we were let down yet again by our MPs who should vote to revoke Article 50 as they absolutely know that any kind of brexit will harm our country.

This survey of 25,000 respondants, carried out over the Christmas break, is the largest brexit poll since the referendum and with a properly conducted poll of this size the margin of error will be very small. Those who say "no-one asked me or anyone I know" or "this is a small number compared with..." do not understand how sampling works.

Jabberwok Mon 07-Jan-19 11:11:59

Would this second referendum be run on exactly the same lines as the first one, including first past the post, once in a lifetime to prevent a further challenge?!! (depending which way it goes of course!) We leavers may be considered all the dreadful things anyone can think of, but believing this AGAIN, would surely be a bit of a tall order even for us dimwits!!!!!

varian Mon 07-Jan-19 11:22:22

I would hope that if we have to have a second referendum the choice would be between TM's deal and remain.

TM's deal is the only one on the table and the possibility of either Corbyn or another Tory leader achieving a better deal is pie in the sky. Crashing out with no deal would cause untold damage and surely no parliament would allow that.

Smileless2012 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:30:21

I would hope that if there were to be second referendum the choice would be for TM's deals or no deal. We've already voted to leave so there shouldn't be an option to remain.

MaizieD Mon 07-Jan-19 11:40:56

Would this second referendum be run on exactly the same lines as the first one,

Good God, one would hope not! There were more holes in the 2016 ref than there are in a sieve.

Labaik Mon 07-Jan-19 11:49:19

'We' were also meant to 'take back control' and that didn't work, did it? I get so annoyed when I am branded as one of the 'we' or my views are included in 'the will of the people'. Have never felt so politically invisible before.

Labaik Mon 07-Jan-19 11:50:19

...I mean even the Labour Party, that I have always voted for, are now ignoring me, too...

Jabberwok Mon 07-Jan-19 12:35:44

Of course we haven't taken back control! This is for after we have left and we haven't done that yet.
So leave is not to be an option Varian? Not sure that that will be a goer, unless of course it is accepted that leave is what we are doing and the referendum is about how we leave?! Not having leave on the ballot paper as it was before, will undoubtedly lead to a legal challenge.

varian Mon 07-Jan-19 15:50:42

Mrs May is insisting that her deal means leaving the EU, so of course leave would be on the ballot paper. If more people preferred TM's deal to remain we would leave, which would mean a great loss of control, loss of reputation, loss of international negotiating power and loss of much of our future wealth and opportunities.

Furthermore if we decided to rejoin in the future we would have to be in the Euro, and in Schengen and we would not have the rebate we have now.

As they say its a "no-brainer"

varian Thu 10-Jan-19 20:31:38

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has stepped up calls for a general election "at the earliest opportunity" to "break the deadlock" over Brexit.

What nonsense! If Labour went into a GE promising to deliver brexit they would be wiped out.

Anniebach Thu 10-Jan-19 20:37:34

I watched him deliver his speech today. Most odd , when the floor was open for the press to asked questions, he read his replies , how come ? !

Grandad1943 Thu 10-Jan-19 21:17:48

Varian, the Labour party conference attended by thirteen thousand set out the "red lines" for Brexit policy based on upholding the referendum result. However, since that conference, the trades unions have constantly been referring to their branches for feedback on any change those grassroots units feel is required to that policy.

In the above, a change in policy of the largest unions has come about by way of those branches, district and regional conferences. However, the policy adopted by the Labour party conference remains in being, and can only be changed by a recall conference.

That stated, I believe that should a general election be called a recall Labour party conference is under the revised rules obligatory to confirm all polices for the manifesto. Without doubt, it would be at that conference that a change to leaving the EU as policy would be adopted I feel.

The Brexit situation has changed dramatically since September, and keeping such a huge organisation in line with those changes has proved to be difficult, to say the least, especially when those changes in policy has to involve all at the grassroots sectors of the movement.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jan-19 21:23:31

Varian since a lot of Labour voters voted to Leave, I don’t think Labour would be wiped out at all if there was a GE, that is wishful thinking on your part.

Grandad1943 Thu 10-Jan-19 21:39:51

lemongrove, I believe that many working people now realise that all will be affected by a no deal Brexit even if they work in a coffee bar or supermarket. The loss of well-paid employment in manufacturing, the higher services and the professions would filter down to all in society adversely, and it is that realisation that has brought about the change in the trade union position on Brexit.

Do we want even more people working in the gig economy or on zero hours contracts, for that is the prospect facing Britain in a no deal scenario.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jan-19 21:44:08

Parliament should accept the deal on offer from the EU and we wouldn’t be facing a no deal scenario.

Labaik Thu 10-Jan-19 21:51:44

Why accept a bad deal that leaves us worse off than staying in the EU? Makes no sense.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jan-19 21:56:13

It’s not worse at all and we would be out of the EU.

Grandad1943 Fri 11-Jan-19 10:23:35

Details of the conversations Theresa May had with Len McCluskey general secretary of the Unite Union and Tim Roach general secretary of the GMB have come to light in this mornings Media (11/1/18). Below is a section of an article in the Guardian newspaper which I believe is very interesting to say the least.

Guardian report begins here:-
It is understood May opened her conversations with union leaders proffering the amendment as her “opening gambit”. No 10 described the calls as “constructive”.

Allies of McCluskey said he would be keen to keep channels open with Downing Street; but there were raised eyebrows at the timing of the call and an assumption that the prime minister was using it to send a signal to the Labour leadership.

Roache said: “I represent 620,000 working people and it’s about time their voices were heard. After nearly three years I’m glad the prime minister finally picked up the phone. As you would expect, I was very clear about GMB’s position – the deal on the table isn’t good enough and non-binding assurances on workers’ rights won’t cut it.

“If the deal genuinely did the job for GMB members, our union would support it, but it doesn’t. It’s clear more time is required, we need to extend article 50 and ultimately give the final say on Brexit to the public.”
Guardian report ends here.

Interesting to say the least. Could this be the start of a new left of center movement. I have my doubts , but we live in very strange political times.

varian Fri 11-Jan-19 11:03:12

An article written in the New Statesman three months ago reported that-

"Research shows that Labour voters are by far the biggest group to shift, with a net number of over 1.4m Labour voters that voted Leave in the 2016 referendum switching in favour of staying in the EU. The research shows that three out of ten Labour voters that voted leave in the referendum would now vote to stay in the EU, and that trend is set to continue."

www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/devolution/2018/10/most-labour-voters-want-us-stay-eu