Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Years Honours

(122 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 28-Dec-18 22:37:24

Twiggy is now a Dame !

harrigran Sat 29-Dec-18 13:04:43

DH was awarded the OBE in the Queen's birthday honours some years ago, we had to keep it a secret for so long it is a real test of strength. On the day they were published we just sent DC a message saying " go out and buy the Times and read it " smile

Jane43 Sat 29-Dec-18 13:15:58

A lot of these people being rewarded in this way have already received rewards that the majority of us can only dream of - a life of being very well rewarded - financially and emotionally, for doing things they love - be it writing books, acting, presenting tv shows, playing sport or modelling clothes. I know some of them do a lot for charities but they are often advised to do this for tax breaks. I completely agree with the second paragraph of Nonnie’s post and Ginnie42’s post..

Day6 Sat 29-Dec-18 13:23:54

The men who rescued those young boys from the caves have been awarded The George Cross

I hadn't read that Annie. No they are truly deserving. It was a dangerous undertaking. They are truly heroic.

However - the honours system is a complete joke. Wealthy people who get paid for doing what they enjoy (and get all the perks of fame and riches, etc) are awarded.

Twiggy's gong is a bit retrospective too. She has had her day and I am afraid modelling clothes, even if she was iconic at the time, is not deserving of honour. It's time this farce ceased and honours were limited to those whose individual deeds caused the nation to sit up and take notice. Stars of stage, screen, pop videos and sporting arenas are not deserving, imo.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 13:36:16

I'm so glad that those rescuers were recognised in the Honours and also the emergency services during the Manchester bombing. Couldn't care less about others.

lemongrove Sat 29-Dec-18 13:38:17

I agree Day6 especially with the thought that gongs are given for those who cause the Nation to sit up and take notice ( in a good way!)
Mind you, I can’t get too heated on this subject, it’s a bit, yawn yawn really to me.
There has been bitterness and dislike of the system for a long time, in fact Hancock’s Half Hour mentions it ( turned down yet again!)

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Dec-18 13:58:59

TRIPE

annep Sat 29-Dec-18 13:59:27

I agree with Anniebach. Getting it for doing your job is just wrong. Especially when you actually love your job and are well paid( rich celebs, top public servants etc).
There are many people ( Gransnetters included) doing charity work. I have a friend who does a very tiring worthwhile charity job often overnight. As do many of her colleagues. These are the folk awards should be given to. But I don't agree with anyone getting titles. We should be getting rid of titles. Ridiculous tradition. Absolutely hate it.

annep Sat 29-Dec-18 14:00:57

Glad the mine rescuers were recognised.

Nanny41 Sat 29-Dec-18 14:05:14

The men who rescued the Thailand boys definately deserved recognition, they should have been made SIR.
And yes when are these lovely "lollipop" people going to get recognition, they do a wonderful job in all weather and only get mentioned occasionally. I think we ordinary people should get to vote or get to nominate.

annep Sat 29-Dec-18 14:14:23

www.bbc.co.uk/news/ampstories/honours/index.html

Some who have turned down an honour ( if the link is working!)

annep Sat 29-Dec-18 14:15:04

just tap on each page.

Theoddbird Sat 29-Dec-18 14:21:23

I am sure there must be a complete list somewhere. We only hear about well known names. Hundreds of ordinary folk get awards as well

grandtanteJE65 Sat 29-Dec-18 14:21:52

My father always complained that as there were no newspapers available in Scotland on Ne'erday, he never knew who was in the Honours' List, so he would probably have been quite content to see the list published early if he had still been in the land of the living.

sodapop Sat 29-Dec-18 14:30:35

I agree Paddyann all these celebs, sports people etc are handsomely remunerated for doing their job why then are they given an honour ?
The mine rescue team and others of their ilk are thoroughly deserving of their honours
(despite what Elon Musk says ).
Any volunteer rescuers etc are the people who should be honoured along with unpaid charity workers and those who raise money and awareness for charities.

eilyann Sat 29-Dec-18 14:36:36

SIR John Redwood???? Why?

kathyd Sat 29-Dec-18 15:25:46

Andy Murray got a knighthood for winning a tennis match. Such nonsense.

Nonnie Sat 29-Dec-18 15:44:32

Theoddbird here is the complete list: assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/768173/NY19_Queens_List__4_.pdf

Nonnie Sat 29-Dec-18 15:49:57

I don't know where the BBC got that figure of 70% being to private individuals. I've just counted on the first 6 pages and there are 30 in the public sector and only 9 private individuals. Perhaps all the minor honours go to the little people and the higher ones to the public sector?

Anniebach Sat 29-Dec-18 16:04:36

Andy Murray has won - The U.S.Open, Olympic Gold. 2 Wimbledon wins and has not received a knighthood

MawBroon Sat 29-Dec-18 16:12:43

Yes he has, last time round.

trooper7133 Sat 29-Dec-18 16:32:11

I’ve been a psychiatric nurse for 40 years with hardly a day off sick. People like me should be honoured ??

Nonnie Sat 29-Dec-18 16:37:13

Anyone can nominate someone for an honour although I suspect a nomination is better coming from an organisation than an individual.

If you are paid to do your job and you do what you are paid for I cannot see any reason to expect to receive an honour. They should only be for people who have done much more than the job they are paid for, either as a volunteer or someone who has influenced many others for good. If they were restricted to such people they would have a great deal more prestige rather than just something to be expected when you get to the top of your profession.

mabon1 Sat 29-Dec-18 16:40:04

I know a number of people who deserve honours for all the hard work they do under the radar. Twiggy a Dame, can't believe it, too many people get honours for doing very little but make a fortune.

paddyann Sat 29-Dec-18 17:42:12

Cant see them giving a Knighthood to a charity worker who lives on minimum wage and lives in the Gorbals( or any other poor/run down area) that says it all really.Its another way of the rich and famous lording it over the peasants!!

marionk Sat 29-Dec-18 17:47:44

For me Twiggy is definitely an icon - the face of modelling changed completely with her so why not get the recognition, she is just as deserving as the multitude of ‘celebrities’ who have received theirs before her.