Gransnet forums

News & politics

Money spent

(26 Posts)
Jennajim Thu 10-Jan-19 10:57:20

Would anyone like to know how much money has been spent/wasted on this fiasco called Brexit? (I would) politicians flying everywhere,,
,,, meetings, with lots of hot air and no conclusions arrived at,,
I bet this adds up to vast amounts that could be used to help the homeless, feed the hungry and help our failing NHS.
Now we have a divided country, divided people, and a lot of unrest. So what was it all about?

mcem Thu 10-Jan-19 11:02:51

No idea how much it has cost. Is it possible to get a truthful answer about anything brexit-related?
I wish we could just cut our losses and walk away from the whole fiasco and I don't mean no deal.
Abandon and remain. It is possible!

GabriellaG54 Thu 10-Jan-19 12:17:11

Can we get off the hobby-horse of homeless, hungry and poor health care being introduced on many threads? Everything from HS2 to politicians perks, fat cat salaries to large families and everything in between, have been cited as areas where money could be clawed back to house the homeless, feed the hungry and shore-up the NHS.
It's getting beyond boring.

Jennajim Thu 10-Jan-19 12:54:21

It's hardly boring for the people out of work, people going to food banks, or having operations cancelled, and appointments put back,, you must be one of the lucky ones GabriellaG54, and I hope it remains like that for you.

JenniferEccles Thu 10-Jan-19 13:03:49

Gabriella has a point though, especially regarding 'the homeless' who are anything but.

So many of them are professional beggars, taking advantage of peoples' misguided generosity.

There was a programme last Tuesday on BBC1 after the 10 o'clock news, investigating how so many 'homeless' make a very lucrative income from begging, particularly in tourist towns.

MawBroon Thu 10-Jan-19 13:12:57

Can we get off the hobby-horse of homeless, hungry and poor health care being introduced on many threads

I know. It is just so tiresome of some people to be homeless, hungry or in need of healthcare and so boring of people to have a social conscience about those less well off than themselves.
Even in the”white highlands” of the Home Counties. hmm

DoraMarr Thu 10-Jan-19 13:17:52

You can ask the Department for Exiting the EU how much, under the Freedom of Information Act.
www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request

Jennajim Thu 10-Jan-19 13:22:49

Yes I agree with you, but I believe the programme did not go into the complexity of all the different people who are homeless, Why are foodbanks on an all time high? We are defiantly returning back to the 30/40s,( in the have and
Have nots)
We think we are a progressive country, BUT are we?

mcem Thu 10-Jan-19 13:23:58

Could it be that those who keep bringing up the same old 'beyond boring' issues do it because they actually care?
No-one could accuse you GG of being oversympathetic.
Coincidentally, I have just read a post of yours on a financial thread and, given your investment suggestions, you don't give a hoot about ethical investment either. No real surprise there.
"To hell with you Jack, I'm all right"??

mcem Thu 10-Jan-19 13:28:03

Ps to jennajim. Don't quite understand your post.
If we are returning to the 30's 40 re food banks etc (and I don't disagree) how are we being defiant?

varian Thu 10-Jan-19 13:33:59

In September, Centre for European Reform research claimed that Brexit was costing the UK economy an enormous £500 million a week. The research suggested that the UK economy was 2.5% smaller at that point and public finances were taking the £26 billion a year hit. At this estimate, Brexit has cost the UK £64.5bn since the referendum in June 2016.

Obviously the cost has now increased

metro.co.uk/2018/12/10/much-brexit-cost-far-uk-lost-lot-cash-since-referendum-8227430/?ito=cbshare

Ilovecheese Thu 10-Jan-19 13:51:51

I have no doubt that Brexit preparations are costing a shedload of money. What I do doubt is that under a Conservative Government, this money would be spent on helping people in need.

So many people have the same attitudes as GabriellaG54 and JenniferEccles.

janeainsworth Thu 10-Jan-19 13:57:27

Now we have a divided country, divided people, and a lot of unrest. So what was it all about
I don’t think Brexit has caused divisions in society.
I think Brexit is a symptom of divisions which had been lying dormant for a long time.
Brexit just presented an opportunity for people to express that division without historical loyalty to a particular party.

janeainsworth Thu 10-Jan-19 13:58:14

Sorry I should have said it was the referendum which presented an opportunity.

varian Thu 10-Jan-19 20:38:38

Would it not be great if we could just revoke Article 50 now and stop spending these vast sums on this brexit nonsense?

mcem Thu 10-Jan-19 20:56:12

My point precisely varian. However would we choose to spend some of the cask on boring stuff like homelessness and healthcare. Maybe we should think of the more deserving - tax cuts for higher earners and easing the burden of inheritance tax?

varian Thu 10-Jan-19 21:01:12

I prefer your first suggestion.

mcem Thu 10-Jan-19 21:26:33

Reading one or two posts over the last couple of days have caused a short intake of breath!
That doesn't include yours varian!!

MaizieD Fri 11-Jan-19 00:09:54

how are we being defiant?

Psst, mcem. I think she meant 'definitely'

mcem Fri 11-Jan-19 11:25:32

maizie rereading that post, it now makes sense. I was genuinely trying to see how defiance fitted in to that context!

Jennajim Sat 12-Jan-19 10:09:26

What a back track from the good and the great, that said universal credit was working,,,

And yes I did mean definitely. (Thanks MaizieD)
Spelling mistakes are not good, ugh

MaizieD Sat 12-Jan-19 14:23:39

Phew! Glad you were not offended, Jennajim. grin

But I've seen that mistake so often...

MaizieD Sat 12-Jan-19 17:45:54

It's a long read...

140+ factual, fully-sourced examples of the impact Brexit is already having on the UK. Jobs going, investment drying up, companies moving assets to the EU, or redomiciling. And all happening as Government burns through £billions chasing a no deal Brexit.

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1081836120617439233.html

varian Sun 13-Jan-19 14:10:07

Thanks for posting this link Maizie. It should be compulsary reading for all those who dismiss any warnings as "project fear".

MaizieD Sun 13-Jan-19 15:24:58

Thank you for reading it, varian.

I wonder if anyone else has read it?