Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andy Murray

(56 Posts)
Pretzel Fri 11-Jan-19 09:43:53

Just read this: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

I'm so sad for him, but what an amazing career he's had.

GrannyMosh Fri 11-Jan-19 14:55:50

Heartbroken for him, he is a credit to the sport, to Scotland, and to himself. So sad to see him in pain. The Centre Court should be named after him.

GrannyMosh Fri 11-Jan-19 15:01:30

merlotgran....Bit harsh, that! Yes, he has many blessings to count, but I think his love for tennis far outweighs any financial gain accrued from it. The man has a big heart and it beats with a pride and a passion for his country, while still being compassionate enough to argue for greater equality. He has my respect and admiration, and he deserves it.

humptydumpty Fri 11-Jan-19 15:06:31

Initially hated the aggressive way he pumped his arm when he scored, never really got past that.. still sad to see him so distraught.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Jan-19 15:10:40

I SO agree with merlot!. Especially the blubbing bit. grin

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 15:13:52

It takes a brave man to show emotion

maryhoffman37 Fri 11-Jan-19 16:37:43

Well, I'm glad he has made the decision, albeit such a difficult one. It has been terrible to watch his decline and we can't wish him to go on while suffering so much pain. He has given me so much pleasure, including that fabulous first Wimbledon win and the Olympic gold and I'm just going to stay grateful for that and not be too sad that there will not be more.

jusnoneed Fri 11-Jan-19 18:05:11

Was sorry to see him so upset, even though he has been struggling it will leave a big hole in his life. Having worked so hard from a really young age, and being in a sport where it's just you against your opponent, he should be very proud of what he's achieved.
He is already involved in mentoring youngsters and I hope he gets involved in commentaries, he was really good at the few he's done already. His dry sense of humour is a good foil to some of the others.

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 18:41:13

I was upset to see him upset, he certaintly is a role model for youngsters .

I was surprised to read of him ‘blubbering ‘ on this thread , I thought ‘big boys don’t cry’ went out decades ago.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Jan-19 18:46:21

Perhaps not on tv Anniebach? Especially when it's only himself he's feeling sorry for. Man up Andy.

merlotgran Fri 11-Jan-19 19:09:02

Anyone see young Billy Monger receiving his award on Sports Personality of the Year?

He could teach the likes of Andy Murray a lesson in self control in front of the cameras.

paddyann Fri 11-Jan-19 19:11:57

what decade are you living in Gonegirl maybe YOU would cry on TV if you were losing something that was a huge part of your life.Honestly some people have no concept of how real people react to bad things .

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 19:28:24

merlot big boys do cry , unless they have drummed into them from childhood ‘big boys don’t cry’ . There is no shame in showing emotion and thankfully boys are allowed to in most families, I accept not all.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Jan-19 19:44:44

He may be losing something that has been a huge part of his life, but I'll bet there is a lot still in front of him one way or another. And he IS well cushioned, financially and I would think, personally.

I live in the same decade as everyone else paddyann. So far as I know.

jennyvg Fri 11-Jan-19 20:31:47

Couldn't agree more Merlotgran, the article got 15 minutes of coverage on the lunch time news, our country is falling apart and BBC feel someone retiring is more important

grumppa Fri 11-Jan-19 21:38:14

Our most successful tennis player since Fred Perry has seen his career cut short by injury. He has been carrying our expectations for years.. He breaks down as he announces his impending forced retirement. Is that so surprising or reprehensible? He's only human, after all.

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 22:26:24

Agree grumppa

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 22:40:21

Yes, I felt for him. Good that he was able to express such genuine emotion in front of the cameras. Big boys do cry and what’s more we respect that.

Kalu Fri 11-Jan-19 22:58:57

Stiff upper lip boy......can’t let the side down..what.!!

Surely today, that ridiculous notion is an unhealthy attitude.

Tennis is a massive part of Andy’s life and to accept the fact that he can no longer play at such a level must be heartbreaking for him and he showed it. So sad.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Jan-19 23:43:47

It's sad that at just 31 years old he may have to retire from the sport he loves and at which he has represented us throughout the world.

He's obviously pushed himself to the limits - and beyond - and his body has taken the toll, sadly.

Anniebach Mon 14-Jan-19 10:14:47

The All England Club has announced there will be a statue at Wimbledon to honour Andy when he retires

varian Tue 15-Jan-19 14:18:23

That's great. I always liked Andy, even when he first appeared at Wimbledon and the English commentators and crowds did not seem to appreciate him.

They accused him of being dour, but perhaps that's why I liked him as I'm sure some English folk might see me as a dour Scot and I could see what a lovely genuine chap he is.

paddyann Tue 15-Jan-19 14:55:59

My family knows Billy Monger and we have nothing but respect for him and his incredible attitude ,he's an inspiration .
Doesn't mean he's any better than Andy Murray because Andy got emotional over losing a career that has taken a couple of decades of his life .Varian is right he didn't get the respect he desrved from the Wimbledon crowds for a long time and the comments in newspapers etc about him were quite sickening.Some saying he should have died at Dunblane primary ...

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 16:00:50

The Wimbledon crowds were in shock when Andy first came to the publics notice. British players always been so ‘very Tim Henman’ , the crowds loved the likes of Johnnie Mac, Nastasi, etc, but not from our players . Andy brought passion, drive, guts. So in fairness to the crowds, Tim followed by Andy , some shock, ?

Wonder if he will risk that big op.

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 16:02:39

The press never said Andy should have died at Dunblane
paddyanne

grannyactivist Tue 15-Jan-19 16:19:43

Andy Murray has been in constant, debilitating pain for almost two years and anyone who has experienced such chronic pain will understand how physically and emotionally wearing it is. So it's no wonder he allowed his emotions to spill over as he gave voice to the ending of his career this week. The wholehearted response from his fellow sporting professionals gives a clue to how highly regarded he is.