Gransnet forums

News & politics

over 75s TV licence

(93 Posts)
Pretzel Mon 14-Jan-19 15:11:11

Has anyone been following the news about the over 75s free TV licence scheme?

apparently it could be scrapped some point soon. and that doing this could push 50,000 people into poverty.

do you think could that really happen?

GabriellaG54 Mon 14-Jan-19 21:16:19

I prefer BBC TV. I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime OR Netflix. A waste of money IMO.

annsixty Mon 14-Jan-19 22:20:31

Until now my H and I have had a comfortable income.
Until recently we have not used buses and have given our winter fuel allowance to charity every year.
Yes we have claimed the tv licence fee.
However now my H is in a care home and I am expected to pay full fees because his illness is dementia, not cancer or any other life threatening illness.
He will die from his dementia but I will pay until he does.
This means I myself will have to claim benefits as soon as my savings run out.
Will I claim my " rights" to tv licence bus pass, anything else? You can bet I will.
My H payed into a superannuation scheme for 40 years and paid a larger percentage so that I could have a pension if he died first.
I am now told that was all for nought. They still want the whole of that pension and the state pension , I have been told by Age UK that I am entitled to some of that pension but that SS will try to tell me I am not and I will have to fight it.
Not really playing fair is it?

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 23:05:05

That’s awful ann60 ?

Jalima1108 Mon 14-Jan-19 23:23:10

No annsixty it is not.
Why should there be discrimination on the grounds of which illness we may get?

cornergran Mon 14-Jan-19 23:23:55

You’re right to highlight this ann. There will be many, many people in your situation or experiencing different pressures for whom the loss of a television licence, a bus pass or winter fuel allowance would feel and be punitive. On accessing the BBC website to complete their poll I thought the suggestions for change all risked disadvantaging someone, particularly those in the ‘just managing’ group.

I’m probably in a minority on this thread as I believe the removal of bus passes, free television licences and winter fuel allowance would be a retrograde step, adversely impacting the wellbeing of many people who qualify through age but do not meet criteria for means tested benefits. If change has to happen then my preference would be for the value of the wfa and tv licence to be added to the state retirement pension as the taxation system would ensure those who pay income tax would not fully benefit. Bus passes are a weapon to combat social isolation and as such should be ring fenced.

crystaltipps Tue 15-Jan-19 07:25:08

The concept of TV licences is archaic and should be scrapped . The BBC could use advertising or become a subscription service. I like BBC radio and some TV and I would happily pay a subscription , people are happy to pay for Netflix, Amazon, Sky.

NanKate Tue 15-Jan-19 07:43:19

What annoys me is that the BBC pays sickeningly high salaries to some of their staff, Gary Lineker comes to mind, however I doubt they will be so generous to over 75s in need and who rely on their TVs for company.

Jane43 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:18:37

We started receiving the free tv licence last year. It is a nice perk but it woukdn’t bother us if it was stopped. Perhaps just those in receipt of pension credit should receive it and all other over 75s should not.

I would miss my bus pass though as a short trip to town, about a mile, costs over £2.00 each way. We walk when the weather permits it but if the weather is bad it is nice to be able to hop on a bus.

Jane43 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:20:21

Annsixty, that is really unfair. ?

Blinko Tue 15-Jan-19 10:22:02

Rather than the beeb advertising, I'd prefer to pay some sort of subscription if the licence fee were abolished. But it does seem to me that the fairest way to do it would be to increase the state pension to cover the costs. This would then be taxable in the normal way.

Nonnie Tue 15-Jan-19 10:32:27

Two points which I don't think have been made so far:

1 The winter fuel allowance was originally introduced instead of giving a pension increase that year so should be treated as part of the state pension. If it was included it could be taxed but the argument against doing so is that it would then form part of the 'triple lock' and would have to be raised each year.

2 The bus pass presumably costs little to issue and charges only occur when it is used. Obviously they are needed by some but there is another good reason to use it, for the environment. Surely if it encourages people to use public transport instead of their cars it is a good thing?

annodomini Tue 15-Jan-19 10:46:41

I have wondered what changed on my 75th birthday to make me eligible for free TV when my income hadn't changed overnight. When I responded to the BBC consultation, I suggested a reduced rate for all over 75s and zero for those in receipt of pension credit.

PamelaJ1 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:46:58

Monica has made some very good points.
I do think, however, that the BBC has perhaps taken it’s remit to the extreme. I’m not sure that we need quite so many stations.
I hate watching adverts and would rather pay for the BBC with its faults than Netflix, sky or some other option. I will fess up to having a BT box to give us a good signal and access to more channels.

pheasant75 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:01:07

I think the bosses at BBC waste money, pay celebs far too much ,many are millionaires
far too,many repeats ,its just an excuse to waste money,and from a polictical,point of view are very biased
Run it as a business .we desrve to be looked after

Cabbie21 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:09:17

I totally agree with Nonnie’s points.
Although I don’t need either the WFA or my bus pass, financially speaking, it is a good thing that they exist in the form they do. Means testing would cost a lot and deprive many. Using the buses helps keep vital services running for everyone.
The BBC licence is a different matter. It used to be funded by the government but they have now passed the scheme to the BBC, to decide how to operate it. TV is an essential source of company for many, who could not afford it if they had to pay. We will not claim ours when the time comes, if we have a choice, but it needs to be there for those who need it. Surely if we just have an easy opt in system for those who want it, that would work? Mind you, there are lots of people who do not claim Pension Credit even though they are entitled to, so it needs to be really simple, with no stigma attached.

ReadyMeals Tue 15-Jan-19 11:25:53

Yes, it could happen. They use the excuse that people are living longer. If they can put up the pension age, they can just as easily put up the age where you can get a free licence.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 15-Jan-19 11:26:44

Thanks fourormore I've just signed the petition.
Many valid points here but I think if it's possible to 'not claim' then individuals can opt out.
It's quality of life for many people - not just over 75's. I can't link it but Caitlin Moran wrote a great piece about large tv screens last Saturday in The Times mag.
're BBC and ads. I hate ads. We watch mostly BBC, well DH, plus some 4. I rarely watch as I use catch up or watch series in Amazon and Netflix with son.

I think it's about perspective. Lots pay for private school and tv and yet pay same taxes as others. Think of greater good etc

Brigidsdaughter Tue 15-Jan-19 11:27:21

Meant schools and health

Margs Tue 15-Jan-19 11:32:16

What? Is the patronising, trite, drivel such as all the "reality" shows that stuff the channels, Strictly Come Dancing, Bake-Off, X-Factor, blah, blah, blah, really worth the time of day never mind whether you have to fork out for a licence or not?

TV these days is total mind-rot. And as for the delicate souls who believe that there IS a place called Coronation Street, and that the East End of London is full of "Salt-Of-The-Earth" cockney sparrers......well, time to change your medication, methinks.

humptydumpty Tue 15-Jan-19 11:39:22

Margy very snobbish comment

mummsymags Tue 15-Jan-19 11:51:00

margs you obviously are not a stuck-at-home older person with few family members or friends - good for you! I agree that most of the daytime tv and reality shows etc are mind-rot but for some lonely souls they create the illusion that they have 'friends' to keep up with. However crazy that seems there is no other solution available at this time in the greedy, selfish society we have created. Several people have said tv licence, bus pass, WTA and such benefits should be linked to Pension Credit and I think that would be a good solution. I have given up my car (sob,sob) and use my bus pass all the time now that I have moved to the city - don't know how I would afford it if I had to pay!

DotMH1901 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:51:08

If you watch carefully you can see that the BBC is using what is termed as 'product placement' in many shows it produces - not the same as an advert but I bet they get a payment in exchange! Time to scrap the TV licence and let the BBC fund itself - maybe some programmes will not get made but there are so many other channels now would anyone really miss them??

Ameliarose Tue 15-Jan-19 11:53:12

What do you mean ,you have to pay for a tv license, why? we have free to air & Netflix etc ,but license no that went out in 70tys

Nonnie Tue 15-Jan-19 12:23:51

DOTMH I think you will find the BBC are not allowed to take money for 'product placement'.

Amelia In the UK we have to pay for a licence if we have anything which will receive TV signals whether we use it or not.

Teacheranne Tue 15-Jan-19 12:24:47

Annsixty, can I suggest you contact Alzheimers UK help desk to check that you have been given the correct financial information.. As far as I am aware, any savings you and your husband have are half yours and cannot be used to pay for his care, likewise his company pension. You will not be required to sell your house while you live in it. Most couples are advised to split their money into two accounts to keep your share separate.