Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who will come crawling out of the woodwork?

(194 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:05:42

It strikes me the present disarray is an ideal opportunity for a person or persons to make a move and further their political ambitions.

I wonder who?

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:04:02

Gabriella but you do not know who any of US are so tricky to be 100% sure confused

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:08:25

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 18:26:36
Oh my we seem to have Trumpettes on GN calling "fake news " when things they do not like are posted!

Is it becoming an easy way to dismiss uncomfortable truths? Just shout ' Fake news, fake news' and then carry on without reflection, checking stuff out or finding information to prove the post was incorrect. Lazy debating !"
---

If you are referring to me I stand by my point Boris Johnson did not call for a Burka Ban .

As no name was contributed to the Queen comment to be able to ' check ' whether or not it was ' fake news ' I think your post a tad presumptuous in calling me a ' Trumpette' shouting ' Fake News ' and a ' Lazy Debater' but you are entitled to your view.

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:27:06

www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3571742/If-Blairs-so-good-at-running-the-Congo-let-him-stay-there.html

It was easy to find the source

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 21:12:14

PECS

" It was easy to find the source "
----

Keeping this going are you not!

A). There was no name attributed to the original post so unless you know who or what to look for it is impossible to ' FIND THE SOURCE !

B). The article was written in 2002 !

C ). Maizie d has already posted a link to the article that you have just raised !

Because I read the link provided by Maizie d I subsequently apologised to Lily 65 as her post new made sense.

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 23:05:30

I just googled 'queen and picaninnie' ..it was in several newspapers. Don't worry about it..it the current situation it is not worth worrying about..this is just a forum...

GabriellaG54 Sun 20-Jan-19 19:11:01

PECS
Sorry confused to which of my comments are you referring when you posted at 20:04 yesterday? (Saturday)

MaizieD Mon 21-Jan-19 12:09:23

Right, I'm repeating this post and apologising to eazybee for mistakenly naming them in my original post for making the comments I am querying.

I'm also doing it because it has been noted on twitter that there is a lot of stuff being 'shared' on facebook which makes claims about the Lisbon Treaty which are untrue.

And I am asking quizqueen to please respond to my request for clarification, using the Lisbon treaty as her source.

Start.

"Yesterday eazybee qizqueen had this to say:

Take a look at the terms of the Lisbon Treaty,

So I did. It's very long and complex document but I found this analysis of it:

www.robert-schuman.eu/en/dossiers-pedagogiques/traite-lisbonne/10fiches.pdf

It was interesting reading

That treaty commits every EU member state ( they are not considered worthy to be called countries, which must surely tell you everything about the EU's intentions)

They are called states because not every member state consists of just one country. For a start, Britain comprises four countries. Please don't confuse accurate use of language with disdain.

...to total integration in the future. This includes a combined army, no borders, the euro, all decisions about everything to be made in Brussels with no need for national parliaments. The UK will be split into regions with Scotland joining some Scandinavian areas and the south joining France, continual expansion of members of their club...and so on.

I assume, from these conclusions that eazybee- quizqueen has made a thorough study of the treaty and I'd be interested to know, with citations, which sections confirm each of their claims."

End

MaizieD Mon 21-Jan-19 12:22:03

And for anyone interested, this thread is about the spurious claims being promulgated on social media about a non-existent 'Lisbon 2022 (or 2020 in some versions) Treaty ' as well as claims about the existing Lisbon Treaty 2009.

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1087258784001654784.html

POGS Mon 21-Jan-19 13:48:12

Gordon Brown. / Lisbon Treaty. / Refused a Referendum

Another hypocrite who signed the b---y Lisbon Treaty behind closed doors. without a Referendum . The Lisbon Treaty reignited eurosceptism and was widely hated at the time but the Labour Government went ahead anyway.

www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/my/

" Opposition leader David Cameron said the decision means people feel cheated and cynical because promises made are promises being broken”. He was referring to commitments by Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats to hold a referendum on the abandoned Constitutional Treaty in their manifestos for the 2005 general election.

The issue split the Liberal Democrat party, whose leader Nick Clegg had ordered his MPs to abstain from yesterday’s vote. Yet a quarter of Lib Dem MPs defied the order and voted in favour of a referendum, with three frontbenchers resigning to do so.

Clegg agrees with the government’s stance on the Lisbon Treaty, but instead wants a referendum on Britain’s EU membership to end ambiguities in the country’s relationship with Europe. “The prime minister once said that he would build a wider pro-European movement in Britain,” which would not be achieved by blocking “the in-out referendum that the British people really want,” he said.

Conservatives however said they would continue their fight for a referendum on the treaty, with Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague saying he had his hopes pinned on the House of Lords to “ hold the government to their manifesto commitment ". He referred to the “convention that the House of Lords does not stand in the way of manifesto commitments ”.
-----

In 2008 the Lib Dems were so entrenched in it's view over the Lisbon Treaty Lib Dem MP's walked out of Parliament with Ed Davey because they were refused an amendment for a debate ' calling for a referendum ' on Britain's continuing membership of the EU.

Fast forward only 8 years to the 2016 when a Referendum was eventually held they refuse to accept the result.

MaizieD Mon 21-Jan-19 13:59:02

Yes, POGS, but your post does not validate the false claims being made about the 'effects' of the Lisbon Treaty.

PECS Mon 21-Jan-19 16:03:38

gabbriella 17:40

POGS Mon 21-Jan-19 19:22:30

Maizie d

Why should I validate it?

MaizieD Mon 21-Jan-19 21:04:54

Just wondering what the purpose of your post was, POGS.

Just coincidence, is it, that you've posted something completely different about the Lisbon Treaty from what I was posting about?

You know, if I had a suspicious mind I'd think you were trying to deflect attention from my post about the lies that are circulating about the Lisbon Treaty (and the completely mythical 'Lisbon Treaty 2020/22').

But why would anyone want to do that?

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 21:32:00

About “being superior”

Nonnie
I most definitely am, absolutely and definitively, in more ways than anyone would imagine

Oh that self- deprecating sense of humour confused ?

POGS Tue 22-Jan-19 11:10:17

Maizie d

" You know, if I had a suspicious mind I'd think you were trying to deflect attention from my post about the lies that are circulating about the Lisbon Treaty (and the completely mythical 'Lisbon Treaty 2020/22').

But why would anyone want to do that
---

No idea!!!

There is no suspicion on your mind I am trying to deflect from YOUR post . Your words are evident as a naked hang glider!!!!

The thread was discussing the Lisbon Treaty , the posts were NOT only from Maizie d and you simply asked the question of another poster. Had I posted the facts that you were querying then it would be appropriate for me to answer and I would have done so.

You are expecting a poster ( me) to reply to facts provided by another poster and that is a ridiculous position to take.

So no I am not trying to deflect from ' YOUR ' post. If I was interested in one of YOUR posts I would mention you by username !

I was exercising my right to post as I want and I don't understand YOUR need to think I follow only YOUR posts when engaging in a thread.

MaizieD Tue 22-Jan-19 11:39:10

OK, POGS. So you don't want to discuss the current threats to our democracy posed by the circulation of targeted lies? Fine.

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting a discussion of the implications of the Lisbon Treaty because Leave voters tend to just post completely unevidenced polemic and then run away when asked to explain how they have reached their conclusions.

POGS Tue 22-Jan-19 12:15:27

Maizie d

You are the joy that just keeps giving.!

varian Wed 23-Jan-19 17:39:18

Jacob Rees-Mogg: Nigel Farage should be welcomed back into the Conservative party

www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/101244/jacob-rees-mogg-nigel-farage-should-be-welcomed-back