Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next?

(514 Posts)
ayse Tue 15-Jan-19 20:46:40

Where is the vote in the Commons going to take us next. Whether remainder or leaver, this is a disgraceful shambles!

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 15:43:59

..you must be idiots.

Of course, that's not meant to be an insult, is it, lemon?

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 15:38:18

jura......very funny ‘MaizieD has been massively patient so far’ haha I can’t even see MaizieD herself agreeing with that comment.
Of course we won’t change each others minds on either staying within the EU or in leaving, but a bit of civility wouldn’t go amiss.All and I do mean all, the insults come from Remainers on GN in thread after thread.
Thank God the real world isn’t quite the same, as we have no problems with either family or any friends who happened to vote differently.
For those who do have falling outs with family, friends, and neighbours.......you must be idiots.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 15:11:14

Brexit anxiety is making people 'snap' - yes, it does.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 15:10:34

guce.oath.com/collectConsent?brandType=eu&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Fbrexit-anxiety-very-real-issue_uk_5c51ba25e4b00906b26f92ba%3Fec_carp%3D5910154050843898995%26guce_referrer_us%3DaHR0cDovL20uZmFjZWJvb2suY29t%26guce_referrer_cs%3DBhZ0qBSUcO1bNhmyGSKv_w%26fbclid%3DIwAR2WQOGTx4H9GSR4D-cn3zv9DcMOXVRUEhOMsjg2tMIYtLaxlmVFAdEEkhU%26ec_carp%3D5910154050843898995%26guccounter%3D2%26guce_referrer_us%3DaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tLw%26guce_referrer_cs%3Dy4762oURQQmpyXEKHc8KKQ&sessionId=3_cc-session_9434b738-42f2-495a-9781-987ee8325d53&lang=en-gb&inline=false

Labaik Fri 08-Feb-19 13:20:05

Agreed.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 12:34:15

Digging for facts and truths is always good. MaizieD has been massively patient so far, and her information invaluable, Thank you.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 11:06:41

Stop digging MaizieD you do yourself no favours.

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 11:03:16

An apology would have been nice but I shan’t hold my breath.

When hell freezes over....

(By then the leading Brexiters will be glad of a bit of relief from the eternal flames)

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 10:42:06

Indeed it is sad. ☹️

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 09:49:15

I didn't take it any further, Urmstongran because we both have completely closed minds. And I really don't understand how yours works any more than you understand mine. We have no common ground. It's a microcosm of the whole country , which makes me very sad as it will take years to recover from this.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 08:56:26

Mornin MaizieD.
An apology would have been nice but I shan’t hold my breath.
You harangued me for my answer about why I didn’t listen to the government and I took the time to think about your question and gave a comprehensive reply - yet it didn’t merit a response from you! Why not?
I’m genuinely interested.

andycameron69 Fri 08-Feb-19 08:51:31

no deal will happen, it is the best for the UK, and I am most looking forward to being totally free from the EU.

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 08:22:30

But May put Leavers in charge at the beginning. Davis, Johnson, Fox and what happened?

Zilch

It keeps being pointed out that the Leave leaders deliberately, never had a plan. This was not a little minor oversight, it was a major flaw. They can't decide on a plan even now, after 2 years. Apart, of course, for the 'no deal' nonsense which the whole world, apart from some naive Leavers, can see for what it is.

We are definitely in parallel universes, Urmstongran.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 08:17:59

Here is an example from a newspaper article yesterday which demonstrates the frustration regarding these negotiations when a true Brexiteer tries to be involved:

‘FORMER Brexit secretary Dominic Raab yesterday admitted he felt pushed out of EU withdrawal negotiations by senior civil servants.
He said too much power was given to Whitehall during talks, leading to the principle of ministerial accountability being “frayed”.
Mr Raab said Oliver Robbins, the civil servant who leads the day-to-day negotiations with Brussels, was able to “circumvent” him as Brexit secretary because he reported directly to 
Theresa May. “The challenge is when the senior civil servant is both the personal adviser to the Prime Minister but also leading the Civil Service team,” he told the Commons European scrutiny committee.
“That creates problems because you can circumvent the principle of ministerial accountability, which is vital to negotiations. That certainly happened,” he said.
The former minister, who resigned in November in protest at the EU exit deal, also said he was “very surprised” to find a key change to the terms of the controversial Brexit backstop included in official documents “without my knowledge or my agreement”.’

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 07:27:19

Not really Labaik I suppose is the honest answer to that. I think that’s because the negotiations are being led by people who want to Remain (which is why I said in an earlier post that most Leavers are thoroughly disillusioned by where we are) - Mrs. May, Ollie Robbins, David Lidington.

The one good thing TM has done is refuse to take ‘no deal’ off the table. Actually it is the table itself as it is the legal default position within Article 50. It is our only bargaining chip as stupid TM in her placatory fashion gave the EU pretty much everything they wanted from the get go.

And she insists we will exit on 29 March. But then again, she also said at the time that she wasn’t going to call an election. So I’m not sure I believe she won’t put a spanner in the works yet to derail leaving.

Labaik Thu 07-Feb-19 23:15:46

But did you trust the people who had to implement your decision? Because they're not [imo] doing a very good job of it.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Feb-19 21:54:29

Of course it is Labaik and that’s why I voted Leave.
I just listened and believed in different experts than you!

Labaik Thu 07-Feb-19 21:37:45

But a government is just a group of people at a moment in time that have been given jobs of which they have very little knowledge [and some switch from job to job on a regular basis these days]. So how can we put our faith in them? I'd rather put my faith in 'experts'. But that isn't allowed these days.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Feb-19 20:52:45

MaizieD you asked me:
‘Why didn't you trust the government and the civil servants when they were telling you that leaving the EU was not a good idea?’

My answer:
Because other members of parliament, some MEP’s and prominent business people persuaded me otherwise.

And further, when you then harangued me:
‘WTF SHOULD YOU BELIEVE THEM NOW?’
(your caps lock and swear words, not mine!)

My answer:
I trust the members of Parliament and our government to keep us safe so I truly believe we will have food to eat and medicines for those who need them.
This is the paramount duty of any government to their fellow countrymen.

Therein lies my reasoning ..... to explain to you the circumstances of when I listen to the government. I hope this goes some way to answering your question?

My brain hurts now .... ?

andycameron69 Thu 07-Feb-19 20:14:06

exit most totally

Urmstongran Thu 07-Feb-19 19:30:10

Thank you for saying that lemongrove
I was in need of a little support after that rant directed at me!

I’m with Michelle Obama’s mantra when she said ‘when they go low, we go high’

andycameron69 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:20:43

we voted out by the majority such a success

andycameron69 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:18:42

big hugs

GlobalEconomy Thu 07-Feb-19 19:17:04

leave means leave

Yeah. Unemployment means unemployment.

andycameron69 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:14:05

calm down dearest xx leave means leave love the uk