Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next?

(514 Posts)
ayse Tue 15-Jan-19 20:46:40

Where is the vote in the Commons going to take us next. Whether remainder or leaver, this is a disgraceful shambles!

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 21:42:45

^ but not the Federal States of Europe and the totalitarian movement which is becoming apparent from Germany and France!^

You absolutely won't believe me, GG but there are 27 member states in the EU and quite a few of them also don't like the idea of a federal state either. It will not happen.

The 'totalitarian movement' is also a figment of your leaders' imaginations. but they have to keep the fear stoked up, don't they? Because apart from the fear factor there's no good reason for leaving the EU.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Feb-19 20:09:20

MaizeiD, maybe because the people on the street in Europe can see the negative elements creeping into the EU.
Most agree with "the trading block" but not the Federal States of Europe and the totalitarian movement which is becoming apparent from Germany and France!

andycameron69 Fri 08-Feb-19 19:17:45

grin

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 19:05:54

Labaik, don't waste your time. He is just a troll, trolling- a patronising one, for sure.

andycameron69 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:51:10

calm down dear x

Labaik Fri 08-Feb-19 18:46:56

Stop being so bloody patronising, andycameron...

andycameron69 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:45:23

calm down dearies, no point in bursting a blood vessel

fact is we are leaving no matter how much you gurn on and on about..

it is law

majority of voters voted leave,,, easy to understand.

the law is the law..

I feel most happy for leaving totally.

also I do not insult people

my vote is just as valid as some one who voted differently to me,, that is fine..it is a democracy..

lots of hugs

smile

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:44:50

Labaik the idiotic part is falling out with people, and not
The voting Remain as you did.Can you not see that?

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:42:25

Anyone must be an idiot if they let good friends go, or fall out with neighbours or have bust ups with their own families IMHO over political decisions.
If you choose to do so then so be it.

Labaik Fri 08-Feb-19 18:37:42

Yes lemongrove, I have. Because I don't want people like that in my life. And I resent the negative affect it's had on so many people. And one such 'friend' has done very well financially over it.And, may I ask why it's wrong that remainers have supposedly said that some people have voted Brexit because, to put it politely, they were misinformed and didn't know all the facts etc etc. But it's ok for you say that I am an idiot. Have you seen or heard people actually in tears over Brexit. And, if you have, has it bothered you in any way; made you question your beliefs? I doubt it, because you have no self doubt whatsoever. You know for a fact that, even though less than 2 months before we leave the EU not even knowing what Brexit is you still think [sorry 'know'] that the country and it's people will be better off for it. And yet I'm the one that's an idiot.

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 18:28:44

Thanks

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:18:28

it works

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:18:06

I will try again. It is hard on this site as we can't edit.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-anxiety-very-real-issue_uk_5c51ba25e4b00906b26f92ba?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=-c_2Ealx1coPttH_wEy6GQ

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 18:16:29

She totally understands why people voted leave.

Would you like to pop her on here for a bit, GG to explain it to us?

At the moment I do totally 'understand' why people voted Leave; I just think their reasons were not particularly valid.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:15:44

I am so sorry- it did work, I checked. Must have been withdrawn.

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 18:12:40

Your link isn't working, jura

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 18:11:27

Of course, based on so many conversations reported by members of Remainer groups I belong to- including one for UK citizens in France.

None of them fell out with relatives because they voted 'leave' per se- but because of conversations they have had since, and nasty, mocking FB messages, or e-mails, during visits. Some I know have not fallen out- they could not let that happen- but they just dropped contact- or keep to absolute minimum. Mostly younger people in their 20s, 30s, 40s - not really talking to parents anymore- because their reaction were just too nasty or insensitive- and many also included sheer racism- and truly behaved like idiots.

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:03:48

Your own fantasy conversations jura hmm or are you saying your relatives said to you ‘suck it up, snowflake’ ?
Thought not.
Labaik if you have really fallen out with your family or friends over the way they voted then I stand by my comment.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Feb-19 17:44:53

I have got a DIL who is European and a GC born on mainland Europe.
She totally understands why people voted leave.

Why are people panicking when none of us know for sure what the outcome will be.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 17:26:33

Remainer 'this is going to hurt me very badly and my family very badly'
relative 'I don't care'
Remainer ' I am so concerned I won't have the drugs I need to survive and the isotopes for my chemo'
relative 'ah well, we all need to suffer a bit for the cause'
Remainer 'my dil is from EU- and 2 of the grandkids were born abroad- we are so concerned they won't be able to stay'
relative 'ah well, you son should have married a local girl, suck it up snowflake'

and on, and on ... Put up with? NO way.

But who is the idiot here, I say.

Labaik Fri 08-Feb-19 17:20:46

I'm an idiot then....and that must be true because lemongrove says it so it can't possibly be wrong...

Bridgeit Fri 08-Feb-19 17:19:48

Are Gransnetters on this subject replicating the behaviour of the politicians, or are the politicians reflecting the attitudes & behaviours of the electorate?!??
The entire situation as the OP says , is an utter shamble.
IMO it can only be settled if we vote on known facts . A second vote taken now would prevent years of division.

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:45:19

'you must be idiots.'

not your first insult for sure - and I will happily return it.

andycameron69 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:06:33

well said lemon
[smiles]

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 15:48:37

No....just factual
Anyone who falls out with family members or loses friends over this simply must be idiots. We each had a vote and used it, not to annoy others including our nearest and dearest, but in the interests of the UK.