Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should he still be driving at 97?

(625 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 18:59:14

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/duke-of-edinburgh-in-car-crash-near-sandringham-estate-a4042131.html

If anybody else turned their Land Rover over at 97, would you expect them to be allowed to keep their licence?

EllanVannin Fri 18-Jan-19 10:19:16

Philip should stick to his pony and trap in his own grounds.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 18-Jan-19 10:19:55

I'd be a bit worried if I was one of his Protection Officers and was expected to be driven by a man of his age, especially when you take into account his stubborn character.
However, he probably believes he is perfectly capable, as do many of us. We all like to think that we can manage, until something happens which gives us doubts.
There are lots of older drivers about who are perfectly capable (100 year old drivers on TV) and apparently most accidents are caused by boy racers.
If I could afford the luxury of a chauffeur I'd sit back and let someone else do the driving.

Anniebach Fri 18-Jan-19 10:20:16

Everyone involved in an accident leaves the scene do they not? The police were called, both drivers breathalysed , was the female driver at fault for leaving the scene of the accident to go to hospital?

Hooligran Fri 18-Jan-19 10:21:37

Thank you for clearing that up for me Alima. Glad you like my name by the way.

AlexG Fri 18-Jan-19 10:21:49

Sally Morgan is a (so-called) clairvoyant who goes around the country doing shows and predicting for members of the audience.

okimherenow Fri 18-Jan-19 10:22:27

Quite an accident to roll a Range Rover.. not a little knock ... imagine he will be very shaken if not injured... I hope he decides for himself not to drive again...
and maybe at 97 I’ll not drive at night...

AlexG Fri 18-Jan-19 10:23:30

Totally agree

AlexG Fri 18-Jan-19 10:24:54

Reading the reports, it appears some people passing by stopped and helped him get out of the car. Imagine the shock when you help an old gent out of a crashed car and find it's Prince Philip!!

Anniebach Fri 18-Jan-19 10:25:49

So that who Sally Morgan is, must be true ! Thank you AlexG

merlotgran Fri 18-Jan-19 10:25:52

I don't understand the 'dazzled by the sun' statement. The road he was crossing is a straight line from north to south. He was crossing it going from west to east. The car that hit him was travelling south so the sun - low in the sky at this time of the year, would have been almost behind him at 3pm.

Even Prince Phillip doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.

MawBroon Fri 18-Jan-19 10:30:36

Playing devils advocate (and I don’t see why I should, but...)
Perhaps the reflected sun in his wing mirrors or rear view mirror did that? Often “flip” my rear view mirror down at night especially when there are a***holes driving on full beam behind me and you can be dazzled by reflections in wing mirrors.
(I assume my CBE/damehood will be in the post now! grin. )

sarahcyn Fri 18-Jan-19 10:33:43

Whether or not he should be driving, it just occured to me yesterday that basically Prince Philip is everything Jeremy Clarkson has wanted to be all his life.
Maybe the DoE should front TopGear.

Worthingpatchworker Fri 18-Jan-19 10:35:49

His vehicle is armoured so would react differently to others. Also....no decision has been made, as yet, regarding prosecution. After all....the other vehicle may have had dash cam which may prove one way or another.
I’m pleased the Queen has not lost her husband.

pen50 Fri 18-Jan-19 10:37:09

My father, aged 93, had to give up his licence after a heart attack last year. He's been trying to get it back ever since - much correspondence with doctors and DVLA. TBH I'd much rather he wasn't driving and if this prompts legislation to stop everyone over ninety from getting behind the wheel I would not be unhappy.

hopeful1 Fri 18-Jan-19 10:43:33

Why on earth is he driving himself anyway? He doesn't need to with his position in life. It's not as though he would need to catch a bus to get his groceries like the rest of us!

Razzy Fri 18-Jan-19 10:43:38

I watched a TV programme about older people driving. Was really interesting. They all had relatives saying they were too old so they did a driving test informally. Some failed miserably and should have given up years ago but one of the ladies was about 100, did yoga every day, was fit and healthy and passed with flying colours. I would think Prince Philip has regular medicals so they would know if he was unfit to drive. Accidents happen. If it had been one of his protection officers driving would everyone be calling for him to lose his licence? I have no idea if Prince Philip’s health was a factor in this accident or not. Accidents happen every day, for all sorts of reasons. Apparently the sun was low so it could just be he didn’t see her. I had a woman drive head on into me at 30mph on my side of the road whilst I was stationery. These things happen.

Doversole Fri 18-Jan-19 10:54:10

We need better objective reasons, that older drivers will accep, in order to stop unsafe older drivers getting behind the wheel.

No-one argues with the eyesight test. We need more things like that - e.g. a test for reaction times etc. And not just a poor beleaguered GP giving an opinion - that's too variable and subjective.

My 93 year old DF would not stop driving even though he had a string of minor accidents, which were all warning signs.

Margs Fri 18-Jan-19 11:00:43

And while we're debating this can I mention that it's high time Mobility Scooters were subject to the same regulations as a car?

Don't you HAVE to have any kind of tutorial and test for these things that bomb along the pavements alarmingly?

Blinko Fri 18-Jan-19 11:09:45

Wouldn't these much vaunted driverless cars be the answer to this whole dilemma of older people driving. Me, I can't wait!

Lancslass1 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:13:43

No he shouldn't.
DH said perhaps his wife didn't fancy cooking his evening meal and the said he'd pop out for fish and chips.
If he wants to drive then he should drive round one of the estates .
They are big enough.

merlotgran Fri 18-Jan-19 11:14:31

DH wants to know where he'd been and did he give his protection officer the slip??

#lifeintheolddogyet

4lyndon6 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:20:19

Wonder when he last had an eye test? So much publicity for him.....what about the poor people in the other car? Wish the media would give them some sympathy and support.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:21:22

Not knowing Prince Phillip personally, I can't say whether he is fit to drive or not.

However, I do feel that we all need to acknowledge that the older we become the slower our reactions are likely to be.

Until last year you needed a medical examination if you were over 75 and wanted to renew your driving licence here in Denmark. This sensible rule has been abolished, and we are many who are waiting to see whether the increase of older drivers results in more accidents or not.

My mother was persuaded by my DH to stop driving at 70, my father at 80 - neither could safely drive at those ages. I (age 67) no longer feel safe on a bike and have given it up, but I suspect self-assessment or criticism, whatever you want to call it, decreases in some people as they age.

My own feeling is that we do need laws about driving age (both when you start and when you stop) but perhaps the upper limit could be dependent on both a doctor's certificate and a driving test? Although, admittedly, most of us would probably drive more circumspectly during a test than later when on the roads!

paddyann Fri 18-Jan-19 11:21:33

its all very amusing ,but it wouldn't have beeen so funny if the two women and the baby in the other car had been seriously injured.What would have happened to him then? Damn all ,likely .

SparklyGrandma Fri 18-Jan-19 11:27:58

I should imagine his wife might have something to say about his continuing to drive.

Time to let his protection officers to drive him?