Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should he still be driving at 97?

(624 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 18:59:14

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/duke-of-edinburgh-in-car-crash-near-sandringham-estate-a4042131.html

If anybody else turned their Land Rover over at 97, would you expect them to be allowed to keep their licence?

Bathsheba Thu 17-Jan-19 19:08:34

The thought went through my mind too Maw, but to be fair we don't know the circumstances yet. It may have been the other driver who caused him to roll his car.

Bathsheba Thu 17-Jan-19 19:08:52

Just playing devil's advocate...

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:11:40

I thought I heard on the news that he had come out of a side road on to an A road.

paddyann Thu 17-Jan-19 19:16:00

Another case of one rule for them and another for the rest of us.Surely he shouldn't be driving on publlic roads when he has so many health issues.If a member of the public was hurt would he be prosecuted ?
Maybe Sally Morgan is right on this ,she predicted a "demise" in the RF before Easter with some members taking a step up including Willie who she says will assume the duties of Prince of Wales

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:18:52

well, if anything happened to Prince Philip that wouldn't make a difference to the hierarchy.

merlotgran Thu 17-Jan-19 19:19:30

Who's Sally Morgan?

Jabberwok Thu 17-Jan-19 19:40:32

No, I don't think Prince Phillip should be driving at 97! I wouldn't think he will be again after this! Can't quite see what his accident or even demise would make to the hierarchy of the RF!!!!

Jabberwok Thu 17-Jan-19 19:41:15

Yes! Who is Sally Morgan?!!

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 19:41:33

The Prince of Wales is the eldest son of the Reigning monarch. If Sally Morgan, who ever she is, is right, by Easter the queen dies, Charles has a coronation and William is invested as .prince of Wales.

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:42:34

Is it in the Queen's remit to revoke a driving licence?

Perhaps she'll take the Duke's off him!

Labaik Thu 17-Jan-19 19:46:10

I'm glad that he is ok but it annoys me that that's all the news is focussing on when someone else has actually been hurt, albeit not seriously.

merlotgran Thu 17-Jan-19 19:48:38

If Sally Morgan's any good she'll be predicting a flurry of resigning protection officers.

#I'mnotgettinginacarwithhim

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:50:08

I kept saying to DH 'what about the other two people in the other car, the protection officers in his car'?

Day6 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:50:18

No, he is too old to be behind the wheel. I imagine he thinks he is invincible and I believe it's quite difficult to stop him from doing anything he wants to do. (If the images of him portrayed over the years are to be believed.)

I know that I love driving as it gives me my independence and I am a good and confident driver. However, I now think twice about night driving (on coming lights are now so bright they dazzle) and if there is ice on the roads I tend to delay visits or errands. I'd say that is a slight lack of confidence emerging.

However, I don't suppose Prince Phillip has ever doubted himself in any capacity. That is a good thing for an older person, but he could endanger lives other than his own if his reactions at 97 are not so good. His car rolled over. That MUST have shaken him up.

Nandalot Thu 17-Jan-19 19:58:22

I think he will be very shaken up. An incident like this can have a serious impact on the ones’s health and he is already frail. He didn’t attend church at Christmas. Actually, in view of the fact that he has obviously been feeling so frail, I think his driving should have been restricted to the estate.

megan123 Thu 17-Jan-19 20:00:39

I would like to know how the other people are he drove into. Of course, that doesn't make the news!

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 20:02:43

Did he drive into the other car ?

Alima Thu 17-Jan-19 20:03:17

What health issues does PP have? Is age a health issue?

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 20:05:20

Those people he drove into can dine out on the story for years.
I don’t think anyone should be driving at 97 tbh.

SueDonim Thu 17-Jan-19 20:06:38

There was a very similar accident in my area yesterday, involving three vehicles including one turning out of a side road. All of the drivers were considerably younger than Prince Philip. Maybe they should have their licences revoked, too.

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 21:29:03

He doesn’t need a licence to drive on a private estate, so if this means loss of his licence he can still drive , just not off his property

SueDonim Thu 17-Jan-19 21:39:24

I must admit, if I reach his age and have the money, (fine chance!) I'd enjoy being chauffeured around, I think. 'Home, James!'

GabriellaG54 Thu 17-Jan-19 21:51:18

Anyone at any age can drive on private land but not on public roads.
Philip is far too old to be driving anywhere.

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 21:55:36

He is free to drive within his own grounds , that’s the law