Gransnet forums

News & politics

Warwick University- would you want any dgc of yours to go there?

(306 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 09:04:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47060367

Just when you think that things can’t get any worse for women, this happens. I wouldn’t want any dgc of mine to go there now given the universities decision. What message does this send to both men and women? I’m off to find a petition to sign.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:07:39

Squiffy put a link on to a change.org petition:

www.change.org/p/stuart-croft-to-see-the-11-warwick-university-students-face-more-extreme-punishment-than-suspension

EllanVannin Fri 01-Feb-19 14:07:50

sodapop, it's those who think they're better than anyone else, such as these type who attend the university who are loud, brash, gregarious oiks and as I pointed out, above the law when it comes to misgivings .

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:12:39

I did hear that it was reported to the police and they said no crime had been committed.
Surely it should be classified as a hate crime if not intimidation?

Someone has just been imprisoned for threatening a local newsreader with rape. He received a sentence of two and a half years imprisonment.

KatyK Fri 01-Feb-19 14:14:30

My DH said it should be a hate crime
Apparently they were banned from campus for 10 years originally but then this was reduced.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:15:07

Calling them boys and labelling the behaviour immature deflects from the seriousness of what they wrote- as if they were discussing throwing pies not raping named women.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:16:57

I think questions should be asked of the Police and Crime Commissioner as to why no action has been taken as it would clearly appear that a crime has been committed.

As for the reaction of the University - words fail me. A slapped wrist and admonishment of 'naughty boys'?

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 14:25:25

I think they are immature and I think they need more than just exclusion from the university or any other institution. I would like to see some sort of programme to re-educate men who post such things. It shows a level of disconnection and repressed violence against women that could be acted on in the future. Although banning them will protect the women in the university, in the men it may just reinforce feelings of anger and resentment that they may take out on other women in the future.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:29:45

I actually think men like this are beyond any help or re-education

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:38:51

They started a second chat group afterwards, they appealed - they have not given the women ( both the sircufuc ones and those on campus) one minutes thought. A man who was genuinely contrite would af least change universities. They are beyond all hope

Oldwoman70 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:57:10

Even if the women threatened have finished their studies when these "men" return, what about the other women studying there - how safe are they going to feel. Totally the wrong decision, perhaps they should only be allowed to continue their studies by post or online so they don't come into contact with any female students.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 15:22:21

Marye no it doesn't, only in your mind or are you simply determined to misinterpret what I said?

Jalima I agree

trisher yes, you put it better than I did but you echo my sentiments.

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 15:25:54

maryeliza what's the solution then? Lock them up forever? Or execute them? Because I don't believe they are the only men who think like this. They are immature and have problems with women which they need sorting out. They will have relationships with women in the future and what sort of relationships could be changed by proper education.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:32:03

I don’t believe in unicorns I’m afraid

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 15:35:39

Oh trisher at least a birching after all they are in a place of education. Oh no, they are beyond learning are they not?

They have done wrong, very wrong but they presumably didn't realise how wrong they were. Surely this outcry will teach them something? Or perhaps they should be tarnished for the rest of their lives? We all make mistakes when we are young and most of us learn from them. Yes, this was a serious mistake but it may well result in them becoming better people and good members of society. Even rapists and murderers get "help and re-education"

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 15:36:12

I haven't asked you to believe in unicorns I have asked what you would do. I think excluding these men from Uni will for some be enough, for others the agression they have demonstrated will be held under control for the most part, for a few it will reinforce prejudices and make them more violent towards women. The problem is that they will all be out in the wide world and they will enter into relatonships with other women. Exclusion from Uni won't make them disappear.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:37:41

And how exactly would they be re- educated? They haven’t broken the law( apparently) they are not in the slightest repentant , they can’t be made to do anything - but banning them from the University would at least send a message to the women concerned, all other women and all men to that this behaviour is totally unacceptable

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:38:40

And the fact that they have been outed means women have been warned

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 15:40:22

Nonnie apparently education won't do them any good!
I believe castration may be the solution for some on GN rather than birching. Although I do believe that this results in rapists being more likely to commit murder.

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 15:42:11

What ALL women maryeliza54? I don't know who they are for one, there must be a few more like me.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 15:44:07

How can you possibly know if they are repentant or not Marye have they said so? Pretty sure that their ban until the women have left will have made a mark on them. Hopefully that will have stopped them and made them think and I would imagine that someone at Warwick will do their best to 're-educate' them.

I've seen a lot of people on TV who have committed crimes and been sent to prison who now work to prevent others from doing the same. Some work with vulnerable youngsters. I don't believe any young person is beyond hope. I hope non of your GC ever does anything wrong, whether minor, this serious or criminal but you can never be sure.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:53:47

They set up a second group,they appealed, they are planning to return,they have not issued an apology - how on earth could I know they are not repentant? So you think it’s fine for them to return and walk around campus do you? Because they are men and the women don’t count di they? And it’s attitides like that from women that facilitate and enable and encourage men to behave like that.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:56:00

Allowing them to return to Warwick ever is just totally unacceptable. And I say again how could they be re-educated? How?

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 16:00:52

maryeliza54 I realise that there are people who are unable to hold more than one idea in their head at a time. But please read my posts.
Should they be excluded? -yes
Were they wrong to appeal?-yes.
Is that enough?-No!
It's inaccuracies like yours that reinforce the belief some men have that women are illogical.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 16:04:53

marye they may or may not have issued an apology does not mean they are not repentant. You have said they are not but unless you have actually spoken to them you don't know.

Why should I think women don't count? You really do have a very vivid imagination. Unbelievable. I think you are the one with an extreme attitude. You certainly have difficulty understanding simple language.

What exactly have I said that makes you say And it’s attitides like that from women that facilitate and enable and encourage men to behave like that.? I think it is the attitude of someone out to make trouble where there is none and to accuse people of saying things they didn't that 'facilitates' bad behavior. Thank goodness most of us don't behave in such a manner. sad

M0nica Fri 01-Feb-19 16:15:24

Yes, I read this, and couldn't believe 1) that it happened 2) the response of the university. DGD is some years off going to university thank goodness.

These young men are still young enough to be the products of their home background. In this day and age what sort of parents brought up these boys that they could have such vile and degrading attitudes towards women.

What they said and did placed them well over the boundary of boys saying stupid things when they were drunk or messing around. They all gave the impression of coming from comfortable backgrounds.