Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not just Labour then with division ....

(37 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 11:24:40

The EU too it seems.

‘The Yellow Vests Are A Warning Sign Of What’s To Come Down The Road:

In recent months Italy’s two far-right deputy prime ministers, Luigi Di Maio and Matteo Salvini, have criticized French President Emmanuel Macron on a host of hot-button issues from immigration to the gilets jaunes (yellow vest) anti-government demonstrations. After Maio met with gilets jaunes leaders this week and declared a “new Europe is being born of the yellow vests” Macron saw red. He said the comments were unacceptable “provocation” and immediately recalled France’s ambassador to Italy.

Salvini initially seemed contrite, saying Rome didn’t want a fallout with Paris, and suggesting the two leaders meet to iron out their differences. Unfortunately that conciliatory gesture was followed by insistence that Macron address three issues first: make French police stop pushing migrants back into Italy, end lengthy border checks blocking traffic, and hand over some 15 Italian leftist militants granted asylum in France in recent decades. With the European Parliament’s elections coming up at the end of May, France’s Minister for European Affairs, Nathalie Loiseau, just wants everybody to mind their own country’s business and play nice with their neighbors.’

I think there’s a bumpy ride ahead.

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 22:34:45

Voters in just three Greater Manchester councils - Manchester (60.4 per cent), Trafford (57.7pc) and Stockport (52.3pc) - voted to remain, with voters in the other seven local authorities opting to leave.

Wigan, Tameside and Oldham at 63.9pc, 61pc and 60.9pc respectively topped the leave votes.

The results meant Greater Manchester had the strongest remain vote in the north west, but voters in the majority of councils voted to leave the EU in line with the national picture.

MaizieD Tue 12-Feb-19 21:41:47

Yet Manchester voted Remain, Urmstngran hmm

Lily65 Tue 12-Feb-19 20:59:31

Like " you've been horrible to me and taken my job , so I am going to vote for the opposition"?

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 20:18:21

Thank you Jalima
Families affected by Blair’s ‘Open Doors’ policy probably did vote differently than those who weren’t.
Stands to reason.

Lily65 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:04:48

I didn't say I agreed with an open door policy, I said I didn't have a problem with migration or migrants.

Day6 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:00:29

I have never had a problem with migration or migrants

But years ago most UK parties agreed there WAS a problem and made immigration part of their manifestos for fear of losing votes. An open door immigration policy is foolhardy at best, and completely disastrous at worst and the public had to be reassured that whoever governed would create an immigration policy which benefited the UK

The open door policy is at fault, not the people, and all over Europe people are making noises about it, like it or not.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:41:44

I have never had a problem with migration or migrants.
Well, me neither, personally, but I do know of several people in this town who lost their jobs as a result of 'restructuring' hmm when workers were brought in from Eastern Europe under Tony's Blair's active migration policy.
I also know someone whose job was actively recruiting in Eastern Europe during that time; she was a civil servant, not working for a recruitment firm.

So I can understand why some people may have voted as they did.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 20:12:15

paddyann
Totally agree.
My memory goes back to the early 2000s when companies were using the European working directive.
One company that took advantage of this was Irish Ferries!!!

Lily65 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:10:49

OH petra , you are so very rude. I am not remotely interested in Emily. I am not a naive fool. Of course I know there are many many layers of life going on right under my nose.

I said I have never been negatively affected by migration.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 20:06:05

lily65
Nice little snide Emily Thornberry comment from you.
It's obvious that you know diddly squat about what's going on in the black economy.

Lily65 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:02:29

and?

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 19:49:46

Oh they knew. Everyone knew. Gang masters dropping illegal migrants off who were looking for work without any paperwork. Cash in hand. Cheap labour for the contractors.
Some of the big construction firms wouldn’t countenance it right enough. So the men piled back in the vans to try their luck elsewhere.

paddyann Mon 11-Feb-19 19:31:50

Surely its the employer who is paying immigrants below the legal minimum that should be prosecuted .Maybe the immigrants had no idea they were being paid under the counter .....maybe its what was normal where they came from.No excuse for ANY company in this DISunited kingdom not knowing the rules though.Strange to blame the newcomer to the country and not the business

Lily65 Mon 11-Feb-19 18:18:32

my comment would be.....a few white vans and some friends of petras who made a lot of money, do not amount to much.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 10:26:17

Any comment Lily65 to my post following yours? I’m curious what you think.

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 19:30:49

Urmstongran
Same here. Friends lost their business, fitting high end office furniture. They had their day though when one Russian contractor made such a pigs ear of googles office in Dublin that when he was asked to go over to make it right the price doubled: they accepted.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 19:12:21

France has endured its 13th weekend of protests now. This from The Guardian (it’s in The Telegraph too but those who voted Remain castigated me roundly for quoting from ‘that’ newspaper!)

‘Thousands of French gilets jaunes (yellow vests) demonstrators marched on Saturday in what was their 13th weekend of action. There were scuffles in Paris and a demonstrator’s hand was mangled by a small explosive.

There was also an overnight arson attack on the Brittany residence of the National Assembly head, Richard Ferrand, (who is the equivalent of our Speaker Bercow). though no immediate link was made to the actions against President Emmanuel Macron.

Just who are the gilets jaunes?

The demonstrations, named for high-visibility jackets worn by the protesters, began in mid-November over fuel taxes. They have since broadened into a more general revolt against a political class they view as out of touch with common people

In Paris, several thousand people marched on Saturday beside symbols of power such as the National Assembly and Senate.

The demonstrations were mainly peaceful, but some protesters threw objects at security forces, a scooter and a police van were set on fire and some shop windows were smashed.

One participant’s hand was severely injured when he tried to pick up a so-called “sting-ball grenade” used by police to disperse crowds with teargas, a police source told Reuters.

The interior ministry put the total number of protesters around France at 12,000, including 4,000 in Paris. The police source, however, said numbers were higher, with 21,000 demonstrators taking part in rallies outside Paris.

“We’re not children, we’re adults,” said Hugues Salone, a computer engineer from Paris, who among the chanting and placard-waving protesters. “We really want to assert our choices, and not the choices of the politicians who do not live up to them.”

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 18:55:53

You’re fortunate then Lily65 that your family members weren’t working on building sites in central Manchester for contractors when white vans would pull up at 6:30am and Polish plasterers and Romanian brickies would pile out and be working ‘cash in hand’ for less than the going rate. Illegal? Yes it was, in more ways than one.

Lily65 Sun 10-Feb-19 18:49:19

So, it’s not just us then finding migration difficult to deal with

I have never had a problem with migration or migrants.

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 18:40:18

jura2
I'm assuming that you've now flipped to your Swiss nationality not wanting to be associated with a country that started this mayhem.

Chewbacca
I do love a bit of witty sarcasm grin

Chewbacca Sun 10-Feb-19 18:26:00

yep, and we have pulled the trigger confused

From that statement, I'm assuming that "the trigger" refers to Brexit? Is that correct jura? If so, you're intimating that Italy, France and Sweden etc have been so awe inspired by the UK's smooth transitional exit from the EU that it's inspired them to also rebel against the EU directives on immigration. But wait..... that can't be right can it? As you've said, ad nauseam, the UK is seen as a laughing stock by the rest of the EU and they pity us for our folly in wanting to leave their loving embrace. So who pulled the trigger and, more importantly, who is holding the gun?

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 18:10:42

Yes petra which is why I posted, especially about Denmark as it has always had a very liberal outlook.

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 17:28:35

Urmstongran
But we are supposed to believe that the uk is the nasty racist country, and La La Land aka Denmark is all sweetness and light.
What some don't realise is: these countries newspapers are online in English.
Same situation in Sweden, but don't tell anyone wink they want to keep it a secret. Mums the word.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 17:16:04

Yep, she’d find a way ?

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 17:01:47

you cant say that the crises with that are the fault of the uk, surely
Oh yes she could grin