Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trade after Brexit

(73 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 09-Feb-19 14:48:22

Well, it appears that we have clinched a trade deal with the Faroe Isles. Good stuff

Unfortunately Japan isn't too keen to trade with us on the terms we've been used to:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/08/japan-seeking-big-concessions-from-britain-in-trade-talks-eu-brexit

The USA has a huge list of things they want before they'll agree a trade deal with us. Things like lowering our food standards:

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/us-lobbyists-brexit_uk_5c5b26c6e4b00187b5579f64

And Australia thinks that a deal with the EU is a priority:

twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1052458691629338626

Looking good?

andycameron69 Mon 25-Feb-19 19:11:07

smiles...variannnna your are so cute....

leaving my darling......

varian Mon 25-Feb-19 19:13:48

I'll take that as a yes, so look forward to hearing apologies from the bonkers brexiters when, on 30th March we are still in the EU.

andycameron69 Mon 25-Feb-19 19:19:11

your opinions matter pet x

varian Tue 26-Feb-19 17:34:34

Brexit news - live updates: Theresa May offers MPs chance to vote on delaying Article 50 if no deal agreed with EU

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-live-updates-theresa-may-second-referendum-labour-corbyn-vote-commons-a8797021.html

crystaltipps Tue 26-Feb-19 18:41:33

Andy
Dim
Patronising
Repetitive
Comprende ?
Buona Notte
?

andycameron69 Tue 26-Feb-19 19:06:09

best wishes tipps. this is a fabulous forum

MargaretX Tue 26-Feb-19 22:32:29

I read in our German daily newspaper this morning that after 30th March vistors to Germany will need a full privately paid health insurance and an international driving licence.

After 30th March any application for German citizenship will be final. No double nationality will be possible.

On the whole this will not affect the Brexitiers as they don't like Germany anyway but its the Remainers and their love of German countryside and who also drive through onto Austria and Switzerland.

petra Wed 27-Feb-19 09:12:02

MargaretX
Absolutely agree with the private medical insurance.
All drivers in the uk have an 'international driving license' under the 1968 convention.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Feb-19 10:09:55

So from a ‘bonkers Brexiteer’. ...

If we are still in on 30 March varian I don’t think it’s because we were ‘wrong’. It’ll be because we were shafted. No doubt about it.
Thanks (not) Amber Rudd, Yvette Cooper et al.
Out of 650 MP’s on the HoC 500 are themselves Remainers.
We are having to battle to even TRY to implement this referendum even though a record number of voters went to the polls.
The only spark of hope is that as the meaningful vote comes up (thanks for that Gina Miller) the snakes in Parliament just might just be worrying about deselection at the next GE.

Maggie T would’ve SACKED those cabinet members who are trying their best to thwart Brexit. But then she was a leader and she wasn’t enarmoured of the EU (which is why she negotiated hard for our rebates - but then again she had a strong cabinet supporting her).

These MP’s voted overwhelmingly to trigger Article 50 after the referendum.

This is so dispiriting.
It’s a dog’s dinner, ‘negotiated’ very poorly from the get-go.
I think this has always been the plan (thanks Remainer TM with jazz hands from Olly Robbins).

MaizieD Wed 27-Feb-19 10:14:21

Not quite as simple as that, petra, according to the latest government advice:

On 28 March 2019, the type of international driving permit (IDP) that some countries outside the EU and EEA recognise will change.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.

www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

MaizieD Wed 27-Feb-19 10:27:27

Thatcher would never have got us into this dreadful mess in the first place. Though, interestingly, she sowed the seeds of it with her economic policies and destruction of British industry.

This blog by Simon Wren Lewis, a highlt respected economist, explains:

I fully share the anguish of so many people over the madness of Brexit. All the evidence points to not leaving the EU, and the reasons given for leaving are generally vague or false. The vote on which this crasy policy is based was deeply flawed. As an economist I can clearly see the damage Brexit is doing and will do. While I could see the rationale for Labour’s triangulation strategy over Brexit before and immediately after the 2017 election, during 2018 as public opinion began to move it stopped making sense in electoral terms, and of course their policy often appeared unicorn-lite or, more realistically, close to a policy of Brexit in name only which only gives away control. The new party that will surely follow the formation of the Independent Group, if it continues to promote a People’s Vote, should be quite attractive to people like me.

But I’m in the more uncommon position of having been in the similar place twice before in the last decade. The reason is very simple. I have been all my life a macroeconomist, and for the last twenty odd years an academic. That gave me a perspective on 2010 austerity and the 2015 election which was largely absent from the popular debate. As a result, I can see that Brexit was not an isolated event, the result of one bad decision by Cameron, but part of a pattern suggesting deep problems with how UK politics works.

mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/02/we-need-political-party-that-is-tough.html

Well worth reading by anyone prepared to look past the current pro/anti Brexit polarisation and reflect on the damage done by the Thatcher government and the enthusiastic embrace by the mainstream media of deeply flawed economic theory.

Also, interesting video on this twitter thread of Peter Hitchens on Politics Live today:

twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1100689713629925376

MaizieD Wed 27-Feb-19 10:27:58

highly (fat fingers)

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 11:05:06

I never found the EHIC to be of much use anyway; surely most people take out travel insurance?

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 11:32:54

Even with travel insurance, it is still very useful. I have used it when I had an accident in France and my husband used it in Portugal. As EU citizens, we received the same treatment as a local person for no more cost and no problem at all when the EHIC card was produced. Just one of the many benefits of the UK remaining in the EU.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 11:42:14

I was told it could not be used in Greece - offered a private doctor.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:37

Don't worry Jalima, as long as we remain in the EU we can influence the rules.

petra Wed 27-Feb-19 19:00:58

Varian
There's no way of breaking this news gently.
we are leaving the eu

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:14:34

I was very miffed, I can tell you!

But luckily, it was not that serious.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 19:39:45

As of now the Uk is a full member of the EU. At some time we may or may not leave the EU. petra. Absolutely nothing is certain at this stage. Only a fool would try to predict where we will be in the future.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Feb-19 20:28:13

Newsflash:

Under a new deal struck today, Britain is still part of the market for lucrative government contracts with dozens of trading partners.

It paves the way for Britain to retain its place among 47 WTO countries that are involved in the Government Procurement Agreement, including the European Union's 27 remaining members.

The arrangement ensures continuity of cross-border bidding for significant government contracts.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 21:34:14

Fortunately, as you say, Britain is still part of the market. Why on earth would we ever leave it?

varian Sun 03-Mar-19 16:41:05

Tory peer Ros Altmann, writing in the "i" points out that-

"Another of the many examples which confirm the disastrous effects of a hard Brexit is the chemicals industry. Chemical firms with integrated supply chains, whose products cross borders many times, will need to register with the European Chemicals Agency. There are 12,000 different registrations required if businesses want to sell into the EU after a no-deal Brexit, which each cost £1,500 plus associated administration charges.

It would represent another vast stealth tax increase on corporate UK. In pursuit of their anti-European, little England, nationalist agenda, the extreme Brexiteers appear willing to destroy the profitability of our corporate sector. This seems to confirm George Orwell’s conclusion that nationalism is “power-hunger tempered by self-deception”.

inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/no-deal-brexit-business-tory-party-ros-altmann/