Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cliff edges nearer because May doesn’t want to split party!

(339 Posts)
Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 07:39:59

Theresa May has effectively ruled out Labour’s proposal for a Brexit compromise, stressing her objection to staying inside a customs union. “I am not clear why you believe it would be preferable to seek a say in future EU trade deals rather than the ability to strike our own deals?” she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn. The PM argued that her own Brexit plan “explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union” in terms of avoiding tariffs, while allowing “development of the UK’s independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU”.

She accepted a customs union could potentially have delivered her a Commons majority but at the serious risk of splitting her party.

The letter comes amid a growing presumption that while May remains officially committed to putting a revised Brexit plan to MPs as soon as possible, in practice this is unlikely to happen before the end of February. Business leaders have called for quicker action, with the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, saying the UK is “in the emergency zone of Brexit now” and the confusion will not just affect jobs and investment, but harm the UK as a long-term business destination.

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 16:01:02

anja you asked what I and others thought about a customs union.Obviously we will be leaving the customs union in March, and the trouble with a customs union is that the UK wouldn’t be able to set it’s own tariffs.
Since MP’s are all over the place with what they actually want, who knows what will be decided, but they are likely to go for a customs union presumably.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:04:01

Nonnie, I didn't say that you wanted it for your country, I was referring to the TV program.

I apologise for my clumsy explanation.

It is a really interesting look into the workings of the EU, the last part is shown this evening.

jura2 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:13:47

LemonGrove:

'There is no reason at all that the UK should fall behind in any green issues for the future'

Could you give me any reasons why it should NOT fall behind on 'green' issues?

I'll wait for your factual information, then will respond. Thanks.

Nonnie Mon 11-Feb-19 16:19:54

Thank you GG sorry if I overreacted might be due to previous experience of others who deliberately misinterpret.

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 16:20:39

There is no factual information either way jura as it is all in the future at the moment.
All European governments ( as well as some others) will be working to ensure the future of our planet, even though many countries continue to pump out pollutants.
Why should you think the UK will do any less than say, France or Italy?
I don’t give two hoots if you respond or not as all your posts
Are simply a blanket of misery spreading over every aspect of our leaving the EU, warranted or not.

jura2 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:43:59

You don't give two hoots- and that is fine.

But here goes all the same. The Trade deals we are wanting to have with other parts of the world, be it the USA or China. or many emerging economic/industrial powers- have much much lower standards on the environment- be it pollutants, be it animal welfare or antibiotics and other drugs and chemicals re meat of cereals, or other foodstuffs. They are often still reliant on increasing the use of coal, etc. Lower workers' rights, re conditions, days off, hours worked, holidays, etc. Lower standards on discrimination, be it against women or other groups (India for instance) and so on.

In order to allow us to export to them- they will (as Trump as already done) say, well we want to export to you- and you will have to drop your standards- oh, and give us visas in exchange for our people to access the UK. It is plain for all to see- and from their pov, makes total sense.

So many jokes about chlorinated chicken - but it is much much more serious than that. The systematic use of antibiotics for instance, is much more worrying. And the residue from heavy pollutants in all sorts of food too. Never mind welfare... which some would consider as a 'luxury'.

It is quite simple, really.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Feb-19 17:12:30

The EU approves of live animal transportation, once out we shall be able to make it illegal.

Nonnie Mon 11-Feb-19 17:25:36

GG that's a great sound bite but if we have any sort of trade deal with the EU we will have to abide by their rules. Same with the US, they are big, we are small we will have to abide by their rules.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 17:28:45

onneker
at least the eu gets climate change
Have you seen how many coal power stations there are in Germany alone!!!!

Greta Mon 11-Feb-19 17:29:38

lemongrove: I think we will be putting in place various policies on climate change once the Brexit withdrawal deal is over and done with. ...Gove is keen on all sorts of green policies...

Yes, Michael Gove has recently discovered the deposit return scheme. In Sweden they have used this scheme for 30 years! What stopped us?

onneker Mon 11-Feb-19 17:39:07

Lemongrove I do think you have a lovely romantic view of what life will be like after Brexit and, of course, I can't know but sadly the Conservative Party (in spite of its name) has always put making money before environmental concerns - eg fracking at the moment.

I know the EU isn't perfect but surely that was what remain and reform was about? The Nordic countries, in particular, seem to be way ahead in environmental concerns and they help pull the others up. As other posters have said we are going to be too reliant on countries like the US for deals with their very low standards.

MaizieD Mon 11-Feb-19 18:23:18

The EU approves of live animal transportation, once out we shall be able to make it illegal.

I'm not sure why we haven't chosen to make it illegal already, GG13. There was nothing to stop us, apart from the will to do it.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 18:47:28

According to the Guardian Tues 10th April 2018 * we can't stop the export of live animals*
So it must be true.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 18:48:32

I forgot to point out the obvious * it's against eu rules*

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 18:58:40

I think the French have a big influence on the live export market as our wonderful Welsh lamb ( the best in the world) is exported live, slaughtered in France and labelled French Lamb

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 19:33:08

lemongrove there is an outside chance that we may be able to stay within the customs union but outside the single market.

jura2 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:17:22

petra, link to both those statements please.

GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:26:24

Ladies
If anyone wishes to refer to me in a comment or respond to a comment I make, please, use my full moniker, otherwise GG sometimes gets mixed up with GrannyGravy13 if you use just GG.
That is precisely why I changed part of my name.
At least please differentiate by typing GabriellaG, even if you're pushed for the extra second it would take to type 54.
Thanks to all.

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 20:38:19

I suppose the reason some Remainers have concerns about the potential for 'doom & gloom' scenarios is because atm many of the agreed safety /eco policies are those shared with the EU.
If when we are no longer bound by those agreements and we become keener to align with US /China (not known for their pioneering approach to climate change) will we be strong enough to maintain more hopeful climate change policies? It is a worry!

GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:54:19

Hmm...I really think that it's futile asking TELLING us in the UK that we have to use certain light bulbs and lower power vacuum cleaners etc while China and India (amongst others) are huge polluters. That polluted air doesn't stay hanging about over Asia, it permeates our atmosphere too and they do nothing to ameliorate it.
Anyway, why would anyone want to stay hooked up to a regime which refuses to have it's accounts audited?
Imagine if all businesses were to refuse.
I'm sick of being a European. I'm British, get me out.

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 21:02:43

Yes Anja I know that ( outside chance we could stay in a customs union but not the single market.)
Whether it woukd be the right move is another matter.

Onneker I have very few lovely romantic views on life,
But refuse to be sucked into the despondent negative attitude that because we are leaving the EU, life as we know it will not carry on, that our food will be vile, all standards dropped and no interest in green policies etc etc.
The Conservatives won’t always be in power ( if that worries you) and there are other countries in Europe who possibly aren’t even as good as the UK.Yes, the Nordic countries are very good on green matters.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:06:59

GabriellaG54 it's a pain that our abbreviations get mixed up. We can usually work it out!!

I also have a problem with the EU accounts not being put forward for an audit.

It is illegal for my company, so it should be illegal for the EU which is actually one large corrupt conglomerate.

jura2 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:07:03

Gabriella- then you can say the same about everything, plastics packaging, recycling, cutting down on energy use - killing the world... why bother

just go on making arms to kill even more. Why bother at all.

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 22:11:11

GG13 & GG54 is OK?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:16:39

????????PECS