Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cliff edges nearer because May doesn’t want to split party!

(339 Posts)
Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 07:39:59

Theresa May has effectively ruled out Labour’s proposal for a Brexit compromise, stressing her objection to staying inside a customs union. “I am not clear why you believe it would be preferable to seek a say in future EU trade deals rather than the ability to strike our own deals?” she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn. The PM argued that her own Brexit plan “explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union” in terms of avoiding tariffs, while allowing “development of the UK’s independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU”.

She accepted a customs union could potentially have delivered her a Commons majority but at the serious risk of splitting her party.

The letter comes amid a growing presumption that while May remains officially committed to putting a revised Brexit plan to MPs as soon as possible, in practice this is unlikely to happen before the end of February. Business leaders have called for quicker action, with the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, saying the UK is “in the emergency zone of Brexit now” and the confusion will not just affect jobs and investment, but harm the UK as a long-term business destination.

varian Sat 23-Mar-19 17:15:33

The public are sick of brexit and the only way to stop it is to revoke article 50 and remain. Otherwise it will go on and on and on for the rest of our lives.

petra Sat 23-Mar-19 16:57:22

they have more knowledge of the disastrous effect of brexit than most retired folk
When/ how did they gain this knowledge? it's never been done before!!!

Lazigirl Sat 23-Mar-19 11:45:15

Nice day for London March today. Sadly I can't go, but shall be with them in spirit. I realise it may not change anything, the Stop the War one didn't, but nothing beats the feeling of solidarity when you attend a demonstration and it shows the strength of feeling there is in this country against a hard Brexit, or indeed Brexit at all.

trisher Sat 23-Mar-19 11:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

andycameron69 Fri 22-Mar-19 08:09:10

fairbairn is a total left wing lovvie eu lover, a piece of garbage

varian Thu 21-Mar-19 19:40:00

CBI chief Carolyn Fairbairn and TUC chief Frances O'Grady who have written a joint letter to Theresa May asking her to prevent a no-deal brexit, have appeared together on Channel 4 News, being interviewed by John Snow.

Carolyn Fairbairn told us that only 4% of businesses were in any way prepared for a no-deal brexit.

Frances O'Grady reminded us that most working people and 60% of trade unions had voted Remain.

It is about time that they and other "experts" like them were listened to.

Many of on GN are retired and it seems that most retired people did vote leave, but perhaps they ought to listen to people like Carolyn Fairbairn and Frances O'Grady and realise they are telling the truth. They have more knowledge of the disastrous effects of brexit than most retired folk. Listen to them and if you get another chance to vote, vote to Remain.

www.channel4.com/news/eu-ultimatum-to-may-you-can-only-delay-brexit-if-deal-is-passed

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 18:22:44

correct well said, that is a fact

urmston take a congratulations....

flowers

Urmstongran Thu 21-Mar-19 17:34:44

Mrs. May looks quite chipper in Brussels, not looking tired or drawn at all!

I think her gameplan devised with the help of senior civil servants is going to plan.

It looks like May’s deal won’t come before parliament until next Tuesday/Wednesday. If it’s voted down Shrimsley of the FT expects an emergency EU summit next Thursday, just 24 hours before we’re due to leave; embedded in law, the default position.

If Remain MPs can’t move until the vote on May’s deal has taken place, what time is there? They’re simply out of time to stop Brexit.

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 17:05:30

no cliff edge in a week, just a fab opportuntity, oooh eeer, great we leave completely.

WTO will be awesome and exciting times..

might just do a handstand

grin

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 07:25:26

best wto no deal eu out, not traitor mayhems deal,,which is remain...she is cunning and a liar.

remainers should love T May, as her deal, if you look at it, it remain in customs union, hence remain in EU
grin
out we go wto week tomorrow, wow am I excited
grin

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 19:40:39

Just stand back from the brexit propaganda for a minute and start to ask what would be best for our country?

Jabberwok Wed 20-Mar-19 19:19:05

No Thank you varian. I'm for Mrs Mays deal as the thought of being absorbed into a federal state, among other things, run by an arrogant elite is not evenly remotely attractive.

andycameron69 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:16:17

out we go... fab

friday next week

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 18:12:21

I agree jabber The only way to put a stop to it - to put a stop to the whole brexit nonsense, is to Revoke Article 50 and Remain in the EU.

Any kind of brexit would damage our country. All the politicians know that and they need to be reminded that it is their duty not to vote for anything that could damage their constituents and the whole of the UK.

They should as soon as possible Revoke Article 50 and the UK could then Remain in the EU.

Jabberwok Wed 20-Mar-19 17:32:02

I voted leave and would be perfectly happy with Mrs Mays deal and I'm praying that it will eventually go through. Personally I think she has worked like a trojan to get a deal that isn't perfect, but at least it gives everybody on both sides something. I can't imagine how she's kept going all these months with collapsing with exhaustion, and for that alone T.M has my complete admiration. A good proportion of MP's on both front benches are a complete disgrace, this whole sorry episode a nightmare and the sooner it's put a stop to the better!

andycameron69 Wed 20-Mar-19 17:04:21

no we are not.

no way

better out on WTO deal, loads of countries are not in the Evil EU and not governed by them politically

this EU is a political super state and has taken away our sovereignty

I am thrilled to see GB UK great again

grin
grin
grin

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 10:31:53

The hardline brexiters are actually right to point out that May's deal, or indeed any kind of "soft brexit", would entail observing EU rules in order to maintain "frictionless trade", whilst having no part in forming these rules.

As Tory MP Sam Gyimah said when he resigned from the government, brexit means losing our voice, our vote and our veto.

Obviously we are far better off as we are now as full members of the EU, the world's largest and most successful trading bloc.

andycameron69 Wed 20-Mar-19 06:35:39

her deal is in the customs union with the EU

This alone means her deal is not leaving but remaining .

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 20:41:39

May’s deal isn’t a bad deal at all, and many who voted to Leave would be happy for it to be accepted, which I hope will happen.?

janipat Tue 19-Mar-19 20:31:44

i just am excited for WTO is it easy simple and fair and worldwide

Perhaps you'd like to explain WTO rules and regulations to the rest of us as you're such an expert Andy? And how long they're likely to take to implement after we leave. After all we don't want to be left in a trading vacuum for any length of time.

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:37:49

i just am excited for WTO is it easy simple and fair and worldwide

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 18:20:53

Keen observers of Brexit will know by now that nobody has a weaker understanding of WTO rules than the very advocates of a no deal Brexit. Perhaps marred by desperation, the no dealers have retreated back to one of their favourite policy safe spaces in an attempt to avoid any kind of second thought or realisation that may have made errors. It is, as Roland Smith put it just recently, the 'I have no solutions and can't be arsed to think option'.

www.norgroveblog.co.uk/

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:54:27

all good fun, so great WTO soon

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 11:25:16

Sherelle Jacobs, commenting in The Telegraph, encourages the brexitextreemists in the Tory Party not to go along with May's deal.

"If capitulating MPs back Theresa May's deal, it will destroy Brexit and the Tory party.

What a depressing spectacle U-turning Brexiteers are to behold. Politicians who boomed and blustered about our country being reduced to a backwater vassal state have now morosely capitulated. MPs who faced down Theresa May's deal twice because it leaves our country a rule taker without a get-out clause will now limply wave it through.

And many Leavers now seek to defy the gravity of basic logic by making the ridiculous leap that the best way to "get Brexit over the line" is to back this non-Brexit deal."

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/18/capitulating-mps-back-theresa-mays-deal-will-destroy-brexit/

andycameron69 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:33:09

oooh I just love being here and belonging, thank you.

a great future awaits my beloved UK.

and I am so happy because my opinion matters too

grin

grin