Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petition to stop Brexit

(271 Posts)
Nonnie Tue 12-Feb-19 16:36:05

For those of you who feel strongly: petition.parliament.uk/petitions/239706

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 18:07:33

You are not a patriot if you want to damage the UK by taking it out of the EU. Do not confuse patriotism with nationalism.
The BNP are certainly not patriots.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:05:30

You are not a patriot if you don't back Britain.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:03:48

Not in a million years. We will still leave even if you all signed thrice over. The horse has bolted.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 17:46:31

What makes you think the long term benefits are worth it?? - and are we talking about "getting over the damage in fifty years time" or whatever it was that Mogg promised you?

Remainers are positive people, patriotic and proud to be members of the EU, but we have great concerns about the risks of our country being driven out by people who have been fooled, but cannot admit that they were fooled.

Our opinions are evidence based, not based on prejudice about immigrants, outright lies about money and myths about bendy bananas.

RosieLeah Sat 16-Mar-19 14:43:04

A lot of problems we are experiencing are the result of poor government, not because of the EU. Yes, there will be difficulties in the short term but I'm sure the long term benefits will be worth it. What a negative lot the remainers are, expecting the worse to happen.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 12:16:23

According to the parliamentary rule book, Erskine May, it is not permitted to put forward the same question to MPs again and again.

It will be up to the Speaker to decide whether TM can ask the same question again. He allowed the second vote because there had been a small amount of renegotiation. Whether he dares challenge the powerful interests of the brexit elite is the question.

"This rule hasn't actually been used since 1943 - but as one source said, that's because it hasn't been necessary: "It happens all the time with private member's bills, individual MPs are told by the clerks not to even bother putting a bill forward because parliament has voted on it this year already. Governments haven't fallen foul of it because normally the rule is so robust they wouldn't need to - or they'd have a majority and passed something already."

news.sky.com/story/an-ancient-rule-means-bercow-could-take-drastic-action-on-brexit-11664555

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 12:08:45

MP’s are allowed plenty of votes varian in order to get a consensus, the people are not.
MP’s voted down a second referendum, there is no appetite for it in any case.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 12:04:33

Third or fourth vote??? when we are not even to be allowed a second vote????

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 12:02:11

If people are worried about no deal then they should lobby their MP to vote for May’s deal ( the best deal we could get)
Brexit may be put temporarily on hold for the technical details of the deal to be sorted out, but that isn’t a problem.
IMHO the deal should ( and still may) be accepted at either the third, or even fourth time.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 11:56:00

If Brexit is halted, both the UK and the rest of Europe will reap the benefit – and Donald Trump, for one, will suffer a defeat. The sect of Brexit has passionate adherents far beyond Britain’s hardline leavers. It includes vocal and influential preachers in the Trumpian world of Washington – and the reality of Trump is having a deep impact on Europe, with the Brexit mess a key part of it all.

The Brexit saga isn’t just about a negotiation gone awry, nor about the impasse a country finds itself in having fallen prey to a movement based on lies and deception. The wider question is about what kind of world we want to live in. To fully see this, it helps to keep Trump’s US in mind, not just the intricacies of British parliamentary arithmetic or Michel Barnier’s latest statement. Because Trump’s US is intimately intertwined with the Brexiter vision of Britain.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/14/chaotic-brexit-trump-plan-europe-president

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 14:19:55

www.ft.com/content/09bfe7ca-3bae-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0?fbclid=IwAR1Um6pnmzJPTNt9mo9HtS8Od4-o5NmCihfjhVopCFkwE4_d_lzL6OJ9oi4

I am patriotic and will support Britain in sport etc. and I love so much that is Britain and British. I am not nationalistic because I know there are other places that mean as much to their citizens as Britain does to me. Britain is not better than anywhere else.. just different and that is fine by me!

varian Fri 01-Mar-19 17:41:45

If you love Britain, you should bin Brexit. Nationalism isn't the same as patriotism - and the zealots are killing our country

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/you-love-britain-you-should-13874766

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 17:35:59

Thank you GrannyGravy for reminding us all of how we got to here. We just need to get past this logjam then we are OUT. Not long to go!

varian Fri 01-Mar-19 17:28:21

Parliament will debate this petition on 11 March 2019.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:14:43

EU referendum states:-

Constituencies.

Leave 406
Remain 242

Parties

Labour 148 leave
Labour. 84 remain

Tory 247 leave
Tory 80 remain

65 million population
650 MP's

Both parties voted to invoke Article 50

Both parties manifestos said they respected the leave result and would honour it.

If they cannot come to an agreement before 29th, March we should leave and then renegotiate with the EU, I think they would definitely "deal"

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-19 12:21:13

Just had an email update. It is to be debated in parliament.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 11:28:26

As per the title of the thread - how’s the petition to stop Brexit coming along?
Any news after the initial excited flurry of posts ‘I’ve signed’ ‘me too’ ‘and me!’

Labaik Fri 01-Mar-19 11:23:44

So, if all leavers like Farage, could he be describes as an honourable man [in anyone's opinion] ?

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:15

Well there are over 400 Remain MP’s in the HoC whose constituents voted to Leave. Fact. That’s why getting Brexit done honourably is not happening.

And PECS the referendum was divisive I acknowledge that. But Leave did get more votes!! Not that the current situation reflects that fact.

PECS Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:13

G ood grief..even if I thought leaving the EU was a good move I would hope I would disassociate myself from the likes of Farage!

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 23:17:21

All who like Grieve are Remainers.
Just as all who like Farage are Leavers.
Next.

Labaik Thu 28-Feb-19 23:13:26

Dominic Grieve is doing what he feels is best for this country. I believe that he is a truly honourable politician at a time when they are pretty thin on the ground. Plenty of leave supporting 'politicians' [I use the word loosely] eg Nigel Lawson/Farage have EU connections [Lawson planning to or already lives in France and Farages' children can have German passports] and I find them far more two faced than Grieve in that they and their children will have access to rights that they want to deprive other people [especially the young] of.

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 22:59:57

urmstongran at least half the country will feel badly done by whatever happens! Not exactly a winning situation for anyone living in a divided society.

GrandmaKT Thu 28-Feb-19 22:46:11

She's not the only one Urmstongran. There are 34 MPs who voted to leave but whose constituencies voted remain on this list inews.co.uk/news/politics/pro-brexit-mps-represent-remain-constituencies/

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 22:26:17

One amongst 500 then PECS
Unlucky you. Now you know how the majority of us Leavers feel. Shafted!