Gransnet forums

News & politics

MP's who Resign now standing Independents

(127 Posts)
POGS Wed 20-Feb-19 19:07:08

Over recent months the following MP's have ' Resigned' from their parties or ' Resigned the Whip'. There are 18 ' so far' and more may well follow.

SHOULD THERE FOLLOW BI - ELECTIONS IF MP'S RESIGN ' THE WHIP'. OR THEIR PARTY??

Ex Labour MP Fiona Onasanya who was kicked out of Labour before she was found guilty of perjury, awaiting appeal. Now an Independent.

Ex Lib Dem MP Stephen Lloyd who ' Resigned the whip' now an Independent.

Ex Labour MP Kelvin Hopkins who had the ' Whip removed' I believe. Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Ivan Lewis who ' Resigned from the Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Jared O'Mara ' Resigned from the Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP John Woodcock ' Resigned from the Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Frank Field ' Resigns Labour Whip.' Now an Independent

Ex Conservative MP Anna Soubry ' Resigned from Conservative Party ' Now an Independent

Ex Conservative MP Dr. Sarah Woolaston ' Resigned from Conservative Party Now an Independent

Ex Conservative MP Heaidi Allen ' Resigned from Conservative Party Now an Independent.

Ex Labour MP Chuka Umuna' Resigned from Labour Party ' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Christopher Lesley' Resigned from Labour Party '. Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Mike Gapes ' Resigned from Labour Party ' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Lucian a Berger ' Resigned from Labour Party ' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Joan Ryan.' Resigned from Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Gavin Shukar ' Resigned from Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Anne Coffey ' Resigned from Labour Party' Now an Independent

Ex Labour MP Angela Smith ' Resigned from Labour Party Now an Independent

Happy to be corrected if I have made any misrepresentations.

POGS Thu 14-Mar-19 12:04:40

varian

"On the other hand our MEPs are elected by a PR system where voters chose a party and the party provides a list of candidates. If an MEP resigns from his party he should resign. This applies to Nigel Garage who was elected from the UKIP list but has now left UKIP and so is morally obliged to resign his seat , but surprise surprise he hasn't done as he has no understanding of morality or democracy."
--
"On the other hand our MEPs are elected by a PR system where voters chose a party and the party provides a list of candidates."

You can also stand as an INDEPENDENT MEP. So I do not get your point.
--
"If an MEP resigns from his party he should resign"

I agree but I do not differentiate between an MEP or MP. It is either a point of principal or not.

However the Parliamentary ' PROCEDURE' as it stands allows for 'the principal' not to be a consideration. That is my point.
----

" This applies to Nigel Garage who was elected from the UKIP list but has now left UKIP and so is morally obliged to resign his seat , but surprise surprise he hasn't done as he has no understanding of morality or democracy."

I don't understand why you disagree with the point raised on one hand but when it comes to your dislike of Farage you think it is the right thing to do.

Whether it is an MP or MEP or whether it be PR or FPTP if an MP /MEP did not stand as an INDEPENDENT it matters not a jot unless the ' PROEDURE' is changed. Now there are 19 MP's who have either ' Resigned the Whip' or ' Resigned from their Party sitting as INDEPENDENT MP' s I am of the opinion it is time Parliament took a hard look at changing the status quo and consideration should be given to the constituents not the MP.