Gransnet forums

News & politics

Politicians and Fashion

(32 Posts)
RosieLeah Thu 21-Feb-19 09:51:34

When watching the scene in Parliament yesterday, I couldn't help noticing the dress of the lady MPs who have broken away from the Tory party, Anna Soubry in particular. I know that there is a fashion for short jackets at the moment, but mature ladies need to keep their hip area under cover. A short jacket with a skirt looks very elegant....with tight trousers, not so. It would seem that these ladies want to appear terribly up-to-date, wearing the latest fashion, without regard to whether it suits them or not. Does this reflect their general character...people who 'go with the flow' instead of thinking for themselves? Sheep in other words. I would have more faith in someone who knows what suits her, and is concerned about how she looks rather than following the latest fad.

lemongrove Thu 21-Feb-19 16:45:59

True, M0nica in fact I think Sturgeon and Merkel have the same tailor as Michael Portillo.

sodapop Thu 21-Feb-19 19:04:38

We can still be interested in what people wear as well as what they say. It behoves our MPs to look the part and leave a good impression to the rest of the world. Maybe that's an outdated view now though.

M0nica Thu 21-Feb-19 19:14:08

Lets face it few of the men are well dressed either.

I must say that I expect anyone in a position of authority, whether politician, doctor or plumber to look tidy and sorted dresswise when I consult them. For while I can accept that some one with a tidy exterior can hide underneath a totally disorganised mind. I cannot see how any one on top of their profession with an organised mind is going to dress a mess.

We had some builders around this week to quote for an extension. On company were represented by two, clearly hands on builders, who came to us direct from site, but they were on time and dressed in a sweat shirt with a company logo and matching jeans. They looked well organised and sounded it.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 19:24:24

But M0nica if someone is at the top of their career and still does not dress as you prefer how do you account for that? Presentation is important to a point and as you never know how any customer/client thinks about dress always best to be as bland as possible in an attempt to please all the people all the time!!

I agree that one needs to dress appropriately for the job you do and to be comfortable. I concentrate much better when I feel comfortable.

Might liven up PMQ if more male MPs took more notice of current trends.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/autumn-winter-18-trends-for-men

M0nica Thu 21-Feb-19 19:40:52

I am not specifying any style of dress, I don't have preferences, it did not bother me that the builder's clothes were a bit grubby, they had just come off site. Another builder sent their contracts manager, I can not remember what he was wearing, probably not a suit, probably a quilted jacket, but he looked and sounded as if he knew his job.

It is whether someone is dressed tidily or not and whether clothes fit. Boris Johnson always looks and sounds a shambles and from his performance as Foreign Secretary and comments about how he worked as London Mayor, he clearly is. not a man you would want to trust the country with. As for comfort, I have never worn uncomfortable clothes and both style and fashion, well chosen, can be very comfortable.

Deedaa Thu 21-Feb-19 19:47:19

I keep getting told off for my comments about Theresa May but I can't help feeling slightly worried by a woman who has our whole future in her hands but can't see what she looks like in a mirror. It's not as if she's stuck with cheap clothes, she spends a lot of money on them. And yes I'm just as picky about the men!