Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well, well Eeyore

(25 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 22:39:20

I hope so petra that’s such a good point. I’m sure a lot of horse trading is going on behind the scenes right now.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 22:34:28

GG13
Don't feel guilty, we have 2 German cars.
urmstongran
I think the ERG will 'help' her out with the withdrawal bill on the understanding that she steps down and replaced with a leaver. not a remainer

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 21:19:23

More good news!

‘Cabinet ministers will make it clear they believe Theresa May should step down after the local elections in May and allow a new leader to deliver the next phase of the Brexit negotiations, the Guardian understands.

Senior figures in government have suggested they want the prime minister to leave shortly after the first phase of the Brexit negotiations finishes – Brexiters in the cabinet are keen to see a new leader take over for the next stage of the negotiations with the EU, which May has already pledged will involve more active involvement for politicians rather than advisers.’

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 21:10:59

Thanks for sharing that petra just goes to show eh?
Ooh GG13 you divil! ❌ ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:01:29

I am feeling guilty for having a test drive in a “sporty German car” on Monday, but what the heck you only have one life!! We shall survive ????

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:25

Urmstongra
what do you say Did you really need to ask? grin
so I can shoot you down in flames same thinking here wink
That's why I never answer.

I've been reading about the eu/ USA trade deal.
Trump has threatened huge tariffs on German cars if the eu doesn't re-open trade talks. If it comes to tariffs it will cost VW alone more than $2 billion a year.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 20:04:31

Honestly ladies, I think it’s time for a ‘good news about the situation’ forum!
Only Leavers can post ??. (Yes I know ... we can’t dictate who posts)
But there is good news out there so let’s gather it and share it!
I’ve had enough of gloom and doom and:
‘can you back that up with a link please’ and
‘oh, let’s not let facts get in the way’ or
‘I’m just curious.... can anybody tell me why this (or that)’
(*so I can shoot you all down in flames* ) ? ?

Time ladies for us moderate believers that all will be well (sorry remainers!) to have our forum to spread GOOD NEWS for a change! C’mon, I know there are a good few of us - what do you say?

lemongrove Fri 22-Feb-19 19:07:32

Yes, or thick, or simple or any other words flung at Leavers.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 17:10:17

Lemon
That's because they think we are illiterate.

lemongrove Fri 22-Feb-19 17:02:51

There are those on tv programmes constantly saying how bad the economy is doing......No it isn’t!!
We are doing very nicely.smile

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 16:58:49

The European medicine agency has lost a legal battle in which it claimed that it ought to be able to get out of a £500 million rent bill for its London headquarters because of Brexit.
A high court judge thought differently grin
Time to pay up I think.

Sparklefizz Fri 22-Feb-19 16:30:02

Hooray! Good news! Thanks Urmstongran.
I am fed up with the scaremongerers.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 16:00:44

Ouch! Sorry for youFennel but thank you so much for your contribution. Every little helps!

So many people are quick to scaremonger/projectfear/prophesy Armageddon it will be a nice change this Spring to share the good news.

Fennel Fri 22-Feb-19 15:26:18

A tiny bit of it was from me - they had forgotten to tax me for about 15 years, and took it all back monthly last year. sad.
HMRC told to pull their socks up.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 15:23:45

No worries Day6 ? Although a Virgo I can be quite relaxed about some things hehe!

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 15:21:58

More great news GG13
It would be a nice change for us to post ‘good news’ on here to counterbalance the doom merchants!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:59:00

Citigroup are apparently buying their Canary Wharf headquarters for 1.4 billion apparently, they do not seem to be wobbling.

Morgan cars profits are up over 60% with a full order book.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 14:44:52

It’s fantastic news isn’t it?

Day6 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:35:40

(Sorry about the extra e in your name Urmstongran.)

Day6 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:34:19

BTW it demonstrates how doom mongering experts (OBR) got it wrong. Again.

Doesn't it just Urmstonegran!

It does give us hope for the future and I like your thought that it will ease us in to our new era out of the EU. Employment is at record high levels as well.

The doom mongers are still out in force though, almost willing the UK to fall into the abyss they have created. They would rather be proved right and see the UK suffer than support a UK out of the EU.

Thank you for sharing the good news.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 13:26:24

I meant to add that South Africa is waiting to do a trade deal.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 13:25:15

Urmstongran
When I posted on here some months ago that a friend in the city had told us that the money is pouring in the usual suspects pooh poohed that statement.
I'm sure that there's a few eu countries ( not states) that would love to be in this position.
Good on you Teetime

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:13:43

??????

Teetime Fri 22-Feb-19 12:13:56

Some good news at last and the sun is shining - I'm quite hopeful for the future. Going into the kitchen now to enjoy one of the South African peaches I just bought in Sainsbury.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 10:57:29

Hammond’s £14.9bn tax boost

A BUMPER tax haul for January gave Philip Hammond the biggest budget surplus ever recorded last month and handing him a boost just in time for the Spring statement.

The Chancellor is £14.9bn in the black for the month, according to official statistics, smashing the £10bn surplus predicted by economists as the healthy jobs market brought in extra income tax revenue.

The amount of income tax revenue for January, well above the £31.1bn raised in the same month a year ago
The strong numbers, boosted largely by income tax receipts, defied fears that by the end of March the public finances would be £5bn worse than forecast by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) in October’s budget.

It also hands the Chancellor a windfall if he wants to go on a spending spree. Borrowing for the financial year to date stands at £21.2bn, a fall of £18.5bn on the same period of last year to the lowest level in 17 years.

Could this herald the demise of the foodbank? What will he do with the unexpected surplus? Use it to ease into a ‘no deal’ Brexit gets my vote.

BTW it demonstrates how doom mongering experts (OBR) got it wrong. Again.