Gransnet forums

News & politics

New order?

(23 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:05:25

The IRA have, according to the press, morphed into the New IRA and taken responsibility for the bomb packages recently sent to various UK locations.
Police say there is one still out there but not yet located.
When will it ever end?

M0nica Tue 12-Mar-19 23:21:26

It won't, the IRA are Ireland's answer to the Mafia. Even if Ireland was reunited they would find something about the union wrong so that they could continue to keep up the campaign of violence. As it is they are involved with all kinds of criminal activities; drug running etc just like the Mafia.

I suspect that this is just another IRA spin off group. The original IRA have far too much bomb making expertise to send such amateur and badly assembled letter bombs as these and too much pride to be caught making amateur bombs in an attempt to mislead.

paddyann Wed 13-Mar-19 00:06:31

Personally I dont believe it ,theIRA have never targetted Scotland and theres no reason why they would now....the west of Scotland is teaming with folk of Irish descent.Is this another WM ploy like the drones that closed an airport ....to occupy our minds while they mess up "governing" it?

janipat Wed 13-Mar-19 00:12:54

paddyann, London is teeming with folk of Irish descent but that never stopped the IRA targeting London. I never suspected you of being such a conspiracy theory puppet, those drones were in no way attributable to WM lol

RosieLeah Wed 13-Mar-19 06:51:34

I think it was just some pathetic nobodies cashing in on the current Irish problem.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 07:36:17

paddyann Since the majority of people killed by the IRA have been Irish people in Ireland, why on earth should they hold back from attacking any area of Britain because there are lots of people of Irish descent living there. confused

Anniebach Wed 13-Mar-19 08:29:34

Were the people of Enniskillen not Irish Paddyann

mcem Wed 13-Mar-19 08:34:54

Hmmmmm! Significant part of this post may be the words "according to the press".
Pinch of salt anyone?

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Mar-19 08:36:14

WM? confused Could someone please enlighten me?

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 08:38:05

That’s a deviation from the point that paddyann was trying to make which is the Glasgow pub bombings were two bomb attacks in Glasgow, carried out by the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) on 17 February 1979. Experts believe a Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) veto on bombing operations in Scotland prevented the situation from escalating.

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 08:38:43

Westminster WM

Anniebach Wed 13-Mar-19 09:08:49

Wales didn’t have attacks but I was distressed by the bombings in England and Ireland.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Mar-19 09:39:08

Thanks, Anja. Wow, that’s quite a conspiracy theory. grin

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 11:49:25

Latest insult on GN seems to be accusing people of buying into conspiracy theories.

lemongrove Wed 13-Mar-19 11:56:30

The trouble is, that so many people do buy into conspiracy theories, like the one by paddyann upthread,
The quite ridiculous thought of Westminster sending dangerous packages to people or flying drones at airports to
‘Occupy our minds while they mess up “governing it.”
Unbelievable!

janipat Wed 13-Mar-19 12:26:01

Anja, what else would you call suggesting Westminster would do such a thing to deflect off their mess? Do you believe paddyann's theory that Westminster organised these events?

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 12:51:15

Personally I doubt that WM was behind the postal bombs Janipat and that Occam’s Razor principle probably applies. But she has pointed out a discrepancy and that is worth a consideration. It might mean that someone bother then the New IRA is behind this - possibly some free-lance nutter.

My pointing out that the phrase ‘buying into a conspiracy theory’ is being currently used more on this forum is merely an observation that once a phrase, any phrase, is trotted our a couple of times it is an easy ‘go to’ for some. It has nothing to do with the actual content of this thread.

Riverwalk Wed 13-Mar-19 12:52:34

Governments are capable of all sorts of diversionary tactics to deflect from their shortcomings, or making use of 'a good day to bury bad news', so I put nothing past this lot.

However, I don't think the drone farce at Gatwick was a government conspiracy - or if it was it spectacularly backfired!

It made us look a laughing stock - in the days just before Xmas a major international airport was brought to a standstill by hysteria; to this day there is no credible film footage of multiple drones, never mind one that was supposedly taunting the air-traffic control tower!

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 18:51:48

Most of these conspiracies require the silence of so many people, that the idea that not even one of them would leak anything to the press or tell a spouse and partner in pillow talk, or mention it in the pub, is to silly to contemplate.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 19:01:52

Manchester and Liverpool have a large Irish population too, as do Birmingham. That didn't deter the Manchester Arndale bombing in 1996 or the 2 Warrington bombings in 1993 or the 2 attacks in Birmingham in the 1970s .

Surprised to read that the IRA only attacked areas that had little or no Irish population in them and I'm surprised at paddyann's naievity on the subject.

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 19:40:19

I’m surprised at paddyann’s naievity [sic] on the subject

not very nice ?

Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 20:00:01

Apologies for my spelling error. I thought that pointing out others spelling mistakes was rude?

No apologies for being surprised that some of the biggest bombs left in English cities had not been known about by some posters. There was no intention of my post not being "nice".

Sussexborn Wed 13-Mar-19 20:26:46

If the drones had been genuine but ignored imagine the outcry if one hit a plane and it crashed into a London suburb. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t!