Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voting again

(24 Posts)
varian Thu 14-Mar-19 11:10:58

According to The Spectator "There is optimism in government that it might be third time lucky for the withdrawal agreement"

If Theresa May can ask for a vote on her brexit not just twice but three times, surely the British people are entitled to vote again?.

Alima Thu 14-Mar-19 11:13:20

I really hope the Spectator is right. In answer to you question varian, no.

yggdrasil Thu 14-Mar-19 12:10:28

Hopefully the Speaker will stop it. And yes varian, why not?
Especially after all the illegality of the first one, and after 3 years, the British people are entitled to change their minds.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 11:33:19

An old rule means Bercow could take drastic action on Brexit.

Deep in the Commons rule book is a line that gives outspoken John Bercow the power to block a third vote on the PM's Brexit deal.

news.sky.com/story/an-ancient-rule-means-bercow-could-take-drastic-action-on-brexit-11664555

GrandmaMoira Sat 16-Mar-19 12:16:33

I agree with the OP. MPs are voting for the same detailed deal. If offered another referendum, we would now know more about what is involved with leaving the EU and could vote accordingly.

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 12:23:04

varian you don’t seem to understand the difference between MP’s in Parliament voting on deals/amendments etc, and the people of a country voting in a referendum.

MP’s will have to act on leaving the EU, it’s all a matter of how.
Referendums are divisive as we have seen, in any case.

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 12:33:54

Do not tell me what I do or do not understand Lemon. Personal attacks are not in the spirit of the GN code and reflect badly on those who make them.

GillT57 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:56:25

At the risk of being told I don't understand the difference, why is it that TMay can keep tweaking/putting forward/soundly rejected/tweaking etc etc etc.......and this is democracy but there is no democratic basis for a further vote on what happens now ie a second referendum based on this tweaking? The proposed exit agreement is surely so far away from what many voted for (like Andy)? It is all just a compromise and as such will suit nobody.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Mar-19 14:09:45

They can all take a running jump if they think I'm trundling to the polling station again.

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 14:11:24

varian you may well understand it ( but as you keep asking this question on various threads, I did wonder.)
Your post about ‘personal attacks’ is quite ludicrous btw.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 14:13:39

The MP’s voted down the idea of a second referendum a couple of days ago. Ain’t gonna happen.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 14:18:02

Huge difference between the two things.

Btw, will anyone actually bother to vote in the EU elections on 24th May? Apparently we have to hold them if leaving gets put off till June.

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 14:34:38

Totally agree with Varian - the hypocrisy of Mrs May getting 3 votes in a row, when she lost MASSIVELY, and on exactly the same deal- and the people not getting a vote after nearly 3 years, when things have changed so drastically in the meantime.

And with a tiny majority which they know has been overturned- and which was won on lies, fraud, foreign interference, dodgy money and illegal hidden targetting (I know I am repeating - but it is so relevant that I shall continue to do so- no apologies for doing so).

Jane10 Sat 16-Mar-19 14:41:43

The majority voted out.
Theresa May painfully extracted an exit deal from EU
Westminster don't like the deal
EU are not going to change what's on offer
What the hell is Theresa May supposed to do? We have to leave. But exactly how is the question.

RosieLeah Sat 16-Mar-19 14:45:14

I don't understand why Mrs May is still in office. Surely she has proved herself quite unsuitable for the office of Prime Minister. She is behaving like a spoiled brat, determined to have her own way.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 14:58:14

Who do you think should take over from her RosieLea? And is that person likely to have some miracle plan up his/her sleeve?

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:04:47

She is still in office because- as much as I am not a fan- she knows that the ERG would take over and that this would be a disaster for the UK.

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:08:33

Jane10, with respect and I mean it - why do you totally ignore the fraud, lies, illegal targeting, dodgy money and foreign interference? And no, it did not happen on both sides to the massive extent as has been proven for the Leave campaign- despite investigations into said fraud being thwarted by Mrs May, the Goverment and probably others - with only the tip of the iceberg connections with Bannon, Putin and Trump and other far right groups being known so far.

Surely, with such a tiny majority - it cannot be ignored?

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:09:56

The Electoral commission would have to annul the vote, due to above- but they can't as the Referendum was and is, by our own Laws, advisory- and Cameron had NO right to promise it would be otherwise.

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:23:36

www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/use-brexit-delay-to-investigate-russian-money?fbclid=IwAR0butW1v9ICSFRLM-HWh77eKjMlvs0pwZz-jvOsmrB9Jln2-9UKz16d_Sw#.XIwbLy4rwb0.twitter

had this happened in any third world country, we would be objecting and calling them undemocratic banana replublics.

Chucky Sat 16-Mar-19 15:25:17

Parliament has voted against a second referendum. Apparently they want to leave the eu, but not under the current deal. The eu say that is the only deal on offer confused.
What part of, we can’t dictate our own conditions and expect the EU to accept that, do MPs and the public not understand? We either leave with the deal offered by TM, leave with “no deal” or Remain in the mess we currently are in indefinitely, which will not help anyone! If the EU say this is the only way we can leave, how on earth can we force them to change it? Think this is why TM is bringing this deal back to Parliament again. We cannot make our own conditions and force the EU leaders to agree to them.
The people of this country voted to leave, so the sooner the better, so we can get on with our lives and make the best of what is on offer, or indeed leave on no deal.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:40:37

I have to laugh at all the argy bargy and repetitive statements thrown about on here and other recent political threads. It's won't sway the leavers but it sure does irritate remainders, hence their evident frustration and continued cut n paste articles to 'back up' their arguments.
None of it will make a whit of difference just as fighting a war will not make the enemy agree with the winning side.
It's a waste of time as none of us has any power at all over this except at the ballot box and that has already been done.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Mar-19 15:42:42

It's It
remainders remainers.

jura2 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:50:57

and yet again, ignoring the

lies, fraud, foreign interference, dodgy money and illegal hidden targetting

and going on about 'democracy'.