Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacinda Ardern

(94 Posts)
varian Wed 20-Mar-19 11:07:22

At last - a politician who gets it right

"Jacinda Ardern is showing the world what real leadership is: sympathy, love and integrity"

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/18/jacinda-ardern-is-showing-the-world-what-real-leadership-is-sympathy-love-and-integrity

"New Zealand's prime minister has said she will never speak the name of the Christchurch attack suspect, and urged the public to remember the victims’ names instead. Addressing parliament for the first time since Friday’s attack, Jacinda Ardern said the accused would face 'the full force of the law'"

www.theguardian.com/world/video/2019/mar/19/do-not-give-christchurch-suspect-notoriety-urges-jacinda-ardern-video

stella1949 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:11:57

What a woman . The New Zealanders are so fortunate to have her as their leader. Her response to this week's horror incident was impeccable.

ninathenana Wed 20-Mar-19 11:16:34

I was impressed with the excerpt I saw of her speech on TV (haven't opened the link) I am with her feelings that the perpetrator shouldn't be given notoriety by having his name mentioned several times.
I also think it's great that there is a person signing on the platform during the TV coverage I've seen from NZ

Alima Wed 20-Mar-19 11:25:54

I have been very impressed by Jacinda Adhern. It’s not rocket science yet so many cannot do empathy. Also worried about the fact that I agree with varian. There myust be common ground, just a case of finding it.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:28:06

Another thing I read was that when she went to CC, she took the leaders of all the other political parties with her on the visit.

yggdrasil Wed 20-Mar-19 15:30:00

Although, when the BBC reported on her wish not to have the name repeated, they said it several times to make sure we understood

AllatSea48 Wed 20-Mar-19 15:55:16

BBC tv news coverage so often treats us as if we, the viewing public, are quite frankly, stupid! If it weren't for the occasional good drama I'd stop paying the license fee and avoid BBC altogether! Yes Jacinda Ardern does show the admirable qualities, empathy, compassion, integrity and plain common decency, that so many of our own sad bunch of incompetent, self serving politicians lack. If I was younger I'd emigrate to NZ!

GillT57 Wed 20-Mar-19 15:58:14

She acts with integrity and intelligence and it is very sad that this is so rare that we are all commenting on it. Oafs like Boris J could learn a lot from her.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:22:22

BJ can’t learn anything from anyone as he thinks he knows it all along with JRM

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 17:07:03

She didn’t do a Corbyn ‘ I feel your pain’

GillT57 Wed 20-Mar-19 17:23:48

Yes you are right,*Maryeliza*. The comparison between NZ and our politicians is depressing.

sodapop Wed 20-Mar-19 17:32:58

Couldn't have put it better GillT57 're your post of 15.58. Well said.

Breda Wed 20-Mar-19 17:53:22

Short answer is YES but they won’t.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:06:51

Just put a sock in it ab this is not the thread to yet again indulge in your hatred of JC - a disrespectful post - have you no shame?

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 18:15:11

Realy maryeliza acceptable to bring Johnson into thread but not Corbyn, Johnson was brought into it because he is ‘an Oaf’ , I just repeated Corbyn’s chosen words to victims of a disaster , just comparing different words to express sympathy.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 18:21:01

Why don't we just concentrate on looking at Jacinda Ardern and seeing how a politician can get it right and pull a nation together at a time of crisis?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:46:25

Yes I’m sorry for my contribution. I can’t believe how young she is ( in years) and how old in wisdom and maturity. Her parents must be so proud of her.

Bobdoesit Thu 21-Mar-19 09:50:58

How right you are GillT57 and it gets more depressing every day.

RosieLeah Thu 21-Mar-19 09:56:19

Could it be that she feels a modicum of guilt? She is now tightening up NZ gun laws, something which should have been done long ago. Who exactly needs assault rifles and automatic weapons? This atrocity has been a wake-up call to her and her complacent government.

maxdecatt Thu 21-Mar-19 09:58:16

Using this thread may I ask why do the BBC send 3 or 4 reporters to New Zealand? One would be enough.....they all just repeat what the other one has already said. The expense must be huge.

maddyone Thu 21-Mar-19 10:10:34

She didn’t get the gun laws right did she?

Willow10 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:11:16

As regards the gun laws - it may be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, but at least she is taking immediate action to change things. Unlike Trump, who still couldn't give a damn as long as he is kept safe.

varian Thu 21-Mar-19 10:20:16

Jacinda Ardern bans all military-style semi-automatic guns and assault rifles

Jacinda Ardern announced sweeping an immediate changes to New Zealand’s gun laws, including the banning of assault rifles and military-style semi-automatics, following the Christchurch mosque shootings.

Officials estimate that there are 1.2-1.5 million guns in a country of 5million people. They say they have “no idea” how many assault rifles are in circulation and roughly 13,500 military style semi-automatic weapons.

Ardern also directed officials to develop a gun buyback scheme for those who already own such weapons. She said “fair and reasonable compensation” would be paid. The government estimates this will cost $100m - $200m

www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/mar/21/new-zealand-shooting-jacinda-ardern-to-make-policy-announcement-live-updates

maryeliza54 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:25:27

What a petty minded response maddy - she hasn’t been PM for even 18 months yet and in that time until CC there were no red flags re the need for gun law reform. What’s your problem with her? That she’s a woman? That she’s young? That she’s left of centre? Or how she makes our PM look?

maryeliza54 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:26:18

My post is also to you Rosie