Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(224 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 18:12:06

Is she OK? Has she lost the plot? Is she crazy?

Honestly - I am beginning to wonder if she is unhinged.

She just bashes on saying the same things over and over again; and makes no attempt to listen and seek a new direction.

I really do think she has to go now - she has made such a mess of these negotiations, but she just ploughs on regardless, talking to her colleagues as if they are naughty children. It really is beyond belief.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 20:57:43

You can still want brexit but most of the British people want us to Remain in the EU. If you don't agree then let's give you the chance to vote now we all know what brexit it could mean.

Riverwalk Wed 20-Mar-19 21:03:36

I can't believe what I've just heard her say!

All that faux indignation!

Wobbles Wed 20-Mar-19 21:04:28

Labaik I agree. I now believe another referendum is needed.
1/ TM's deal
2/No deal
3/ Stay in the EU
Let the voters decide

moggie57 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:07:48

totally agree mrs may has lost the plot. if the referendum went the other way and we stayed would the leavers get another vote. ,no they wouldn't. she needs to get a move on and just leave. we never asked for mp's to vote on a deal. if she doesn't do as 17 million people voted for ,she going to look stupid ,the world already is laughing at the uk.

Labaik Wed 20-Mar-19 21:11:38

I am sick and tired of being grouped in/as 'the British people'; 'the will of the people'. So many of us feel invisible. Even when we march in our thousands we are ignored....

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 21:13:10

She needs to remember the 49 million British people who never voted for this brexit nonsense

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 21:14:33

varian the referendum vote showed a leave majority, more reliable than a poll surely.

You say the British people want to remain, you cannot speak for me .

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 21:19:33

I hope that Leave voters have learned a lot in the last three years but if they haven't then they will be able to vote out again if we have a Final Say.

Joelsnan Wed 20-Mar-19 21:23:40

varian
I think you should remember that of those who chose to vote (the actual relevant ones) the majority voted to leave. You can try to construe the result to suit your own personal agenda, but that is always only what it will ever be (what you want)
In a democratic society this is how the FPP voting system works and has always worked since its inception in the UK.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:30:40

In grown up countries where they have referenda they don’t use FPTP

Joelsnan Wed 20-Mar-19 21:36:50

maryeliza54
I think you will find just as many issues with FPTP as here, intransigence due to hung parliaments etc. and supposedly 'grown up'.

Lily65 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:41:30

Siding with just about anybody ( the DUP) wasn't particularly grown up.

Will you be in my gang if I give you some sweeties?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:47:28

There is a huge difference between a general election and a referendum - especially in a parliamentary democracy but most leavers dont understand that

Joelsnan Wed 20-Mar-19 21:50:03

maryeliza54
Sorry, should have been PR not FPTP. Also, one thing PR does not enable is accountability. By not having one single party in government no actual party can be held responsible for their actions.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 21:50:47

My worry about her is not that she has not been diligent and determined and all that admirable stuff, nor that she was handed a poisoned chalice (although she chose it and wanted to stick with it, even if it involved bribing the DUP) - my concern is that her approach is so rigid that she could not see that this was an issue that needed to be dealt with by trying to bring people together to find a consensus - she has simply done her deal and will keep on bringing it back till SHE gets what she wants, which is undemocratic and unconstitutional (as it was left to the ghastly Bercow to point out).

She seems to be under some sort of delusion that if she says the same thing over and over again it will be right - that is frankly delusional; and the attempts to bribe the DUP between votes has been in full view, which is pretty darned mad really. If you are going to do something immoral, at least keep it under wraps.

I seriously think she has lost the ability to think rationally about what she is doing - and this is not because I am a Remainer (I am not - I do not like labels) but because I am concerned about who is "leading" us. I know she has worked like a dog, but I really do think she is starting to lose it.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 21:52:19

Because of FPTP we have the Tories and the DUP in power.

Joelsnan Wed 20-Mar-19 21:54:58

maryeliza54
What a wonderful talent you must have to be able to read the minds and understand the intellect of those who voted to leave the EU. Either that or its an arrogance of ignorance.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 22:03:07

I don't think anyone can say this is what I think and so most folk must think the same. Opinion polls are a better guide.

humptydumpty Wed 20-Mar-19 22:07:25

It's absolutely alarming that this woman is able to go on as PM, is there nothing that can be done to get rid of her? Her speech was an absolute disgrace: to name but one thing, blaming MPs for delaying Brexit when she refused to take her deal to Parliament in Decemebr, which would have given parliament 3 months - instead of 9 days - to discuss alternatives.

This is a serious question - can MPs be removed from office on the grounds of MH?

Joelsnan Wed 20-Mar-19 22:32:52

varian
Because of FPTP we have the Tories and the DUP in power.
This is because the majority of those who voted (only just) considered them a better option to the other major party. I care for none of the major parties however recognise PR would not be the panacea that some think it would be.

Labaik Thu 21-Mar-19 09:27:44

The DUP aren't even in power in their own country are they, but they hold the balance of power in this one. And this because May didn't achieve the landslide victory she expected that would have allowed her to push through whatever brexit she chose (or what the ERG wanted). So much for taking back control....

Luckygirl Thu 21-Mar-19 09:39:20

If we are talking FPTP, we have a situation here where more people voted against our current MP than voted for - the problem was their vote was split between several parties. This must be the case in many other places.

Caledonai14 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:49:17

It's bonkers to try to turn people against Parliament, especially when we are staring down the barrel of a no-deal gun. And as has been pointed out here already, Mrs May has been in this groove since December when she told her cabinet allies in the morning there would be a vote, but cancelled it at the last minute without even telling her friends.

eazybee Thu 21-Mar-19 10:12:20

I think I am right in saying LEAVE (the EU) was what the majority wanted, not a deal with Brussels. I dislike her deal, which is likely to be the only one the EU offer now.
I agree with this, and many of your points, Day6, but I do think Theresa May has been the author of her own misfortunes; she seems to have a knack of making the wrong decision because of her inability to grasp the complexities of this political situation, and an unshakeable belief in her own judgement.
The second election was disastrous, as was this deal agreed in December 2017; her insistence on negotiating herself and excluding Brexit secretaries David Davies, Liam Fox , Dominic Raab and the latest one whose name I can not even remember; her reliance on the Rasputin- like civil servant/adviser Oliver Robbins, a noted Europhile; her treatment of her cabinet at Chequers and subsequently; Geoffrey Cox's admission about the legality of her agreement; her string of assurances about dates and votes which are then overturned without a backward glance, and finally this headmisstressly outburst on Parliament's behaviour, which should have come months ago, not now, when she needs to win them over.

Great commanders, such as Nelson and Napoleon, are said to have been blessed with 'luck'; I think it was more an astute reading of circumstances leading to the ability to seize the moment, make the right decision and capture success. Not always, I know, but dogged determination does not always win through, and bullying and battering her own parliament whilst colluding with the EU will not work. They, who have not made a single concession, can now stand back and admire the chaos they have orchestrated, via Theresa May, a Remainer.

lemongrove Thu 21-Mar-19 10:43:29

A good post eazybee and some truth in much of what you say, but given the irreconcilable views of the HOC and their
Party politics playing and self interest, she was always on a hiding to nothing,
The deal concocted with the EU isn’t a bad deal IMHO and goes a long way to get all sides behind it.....but they never will it seems.
We are nearer to no deal and WTO rules now as a result of this.