Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(224 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Mar-19 18:12:06

Is she OK? Has she lost the plot? Is she crazy?

Honestly - I am beginning to wonder if she is unhinged.

She just bashes on saying the same things over and over again; and makes no attempt to listen and seek a new direction.

I really do think she has to go now - she has made such a mess of these negotiations, but she just ploughs on regardless, talking to her colleagues as if they are naughty children. It really is beyond belief.

Nonnie Thu 28-Mar-19 10:22:06

Why doesn't she go today and let one of the Brexit leaders take over and see how much of what they promised is achievable? I'm past caring what the rest of the world thinks of us, it's too late, damage already done.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Mar-19 09:44:19

Not sure she would have sold NI down the river, even if she didn't need the support of the DUP.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Mar-19 09:42:36

she!!!

Gonegirl Thu 28-Mar-19 09:42:23

Very true about that general election Blinko. he must so regret that.

Although, would a bigger majority help her now? Maybe not.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Mar-19 09:40:03

I really want a coat like hers. And the scarf. Whatever else she has done she has shown that British politicians know how to dress. smile

Blinko Thu 28-Mar-19 09:35:28

Coming to this thread rather late, but totally agree with Day6's post of 20th March. TM has the most fiendishly difficult task of any PM that I can remember. There is no other remotely acceptable solution on the table or anywhere near it.

The single biggest error she made was that second GE which gave the DUP so much say.

Who else would want this job?

Fennel Thu 28-Mar-19 09:21:24

crystaltips - then he would be POTUK and she would be FLOTUK wink.

Ginny42 Thu 28-Mar-19 06:55:35

CT sorry.

Ginny42 Thu 28-Mar-19 06:53:35

Eurgh! CP please! I'm trying to eat my breakfast here.

crystaltipps Thu 28-Mar-19 05:49:34

They’ll go for someone smarmy like Raab or Gove. Actually, they’re all smarmy. Johnson would be a complete joke in more ways than one, would he move his new totty into no 10?

Ginny42 Thu 28-Mar-19 05:40:10

We've become a nation of people impressed by so called celebrity and Johnson appears to appeal to those who find his showmanship attractive/amusing. If we weren't the laughing stock already we will be if he is PM. Surely the Tories won't wish that pestilence upon us on top of everything else!

Labaik Wed 27-Mar-19 23:45:29

If Johnson becomes PM of this country, I don't want to live here.....

Wobbles Wed 27-Mar-19 18:47:38

You're right Anniebach
But David Cameron implemented the referendum without any thought for the consequences if the country voted to leave.

TM brought her deal to the HoC believing it would be voted through by a majority.She was either very naive or extremely self centered.

She should have created a cross party commission to negotiate with the EU from the very start.

Anniebach Wed 27-Mar-19 18:14:08

The Referendum divided the country

Lily65 Wed 27-Mar-19 18:11:03

OMG is she still there or not???

maryeliza54 Wed 27-Mar-19 18:10:44

She’s said she’ll go but she’s said a lot of things and never done them - so don’t hold your breath

Wobbles Wed 27-Mar-19 18:08:50

Good riddance Teresa, just like Cameron, you've divided the country and now you're off.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 14:00:44

To get a General Election?

varian Wed 27-Mar-19 12:54:23

I doubt whether anyone knows which way the Labour Party is voting and why.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 10:13:25

Ilove cheese.

"POGS I am no expert here, but as far as I can see the Labour party want a customs union and a single market and those things are not in the Withdrawal Bill / Agreement."
----

Thank you for responding to the question.

They are not in the Withdrawal Bill/Agreement because they are in the ' POLITICAL DECLARATION ' for future negotiations over trade and the Political Declaration is as far as I understand it is not legally binding. Trade talks will not begin until after the Withdrawal Bill/Agreement passes as agreed by the EU and UK. .

Labour has said time and again it doesn't see the EU opening negotiations over the WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT / BILL and Labour has no problem with it in reality. It is voting against it for the hell of it as far as I can see.

I genuinely thought those who are staunch Corbyn/Labour /Remain voters would be able to explain where I may be confused but I am of the opinion I may be correct in my assumption.

I am genuinely happy to be ' set right' if a poster can give me facts and information as to why my opinion is incorrect.

As things stand I repeat my feeling is Labour is voting against the Withdrawal Agreement /BILL which would be legally binding although Labour believe in the words of many Shadow Cabinet Ministers and MP's that Labour accept the Withdrawal Bill/Agreement is the right thing to have, especially for Ireland North and South.

varian Tue 26-Mar-19 21:45:56

Theresa May has completely lost the plot.

"Brexit news - live: MPs submit indicative vote plans as government rejects 'Revoke Article 50' petition"

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-live-theresa-may-vote-result-deal-latest-updates-a8839781.html

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Mar-19 14:41:07

POGS I am no expert here, but as far as I can see the Labour party want a customs union and a single market and those things are not in the Withdrawal Bill / Agreement.

varian Tue 26-Mar-19 10:15:35

If Article 50 is not revoked we will be in for this brexit stress for the rest of our lives.

POGS Tue 26-Mar-19 10:15:32

Can anybody answer the point re the Withdrawal Bill / Agreement and Labour's position?

There seems to be a determination to avoid the question.

Fennel Tue 26-Mar-19 09:21:39

grin -same here.
I'm sure many of the other troubles in the country are due to Brexit - nearly 3 years of nonstop stress.