Gransnet forums

News & politics

Public school

(249 Posts)
Lily65 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:05:00

Did you go?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/18/bitain-brexit-crisis-public-schools

alchemilla Tue 16-Apr-19 14:14:12

@jalima I may be wrong but the independent boarding school choices for officers were different from those of NCOs even though the families were all working abroad? so there was a class division even then?

grannyactivist Mon 01-Apr-19 12:19:34

That would make sense then gilly. The OA is tax free and because it's paid as a lump sum after service personnel return home the pig of an ex could well have been splashing the cash to impress people.

My daughter (who has remarried another military man) looks on it as a means of paying tradespeople to do all the things her husband would have done if he were there to fix things himself.

gillybob Mon 01-Apr-19 11:53:42

The pig of an ex always bragged about the fact that he paid no income tax when he was on active duty..... He did Iraq, Afghanistan etc several times. There would be no way he would admit to being "rolling in it" if he wasn't. I might be mistaken and it could have been an "operational allowance" grannyactivist . confused

grannyactivist Mon 01-Apr-19 11:48:19

Just had a re-think and I imagine the pig of an ex is referring to the Operational Allowance.

The Operational Allowance is paid to Service personnel engaged in the most demanding of conflicts and who are deployed on agreed operations. This is a tax free lump sum payable at the end of a tour. It was increased in 2010 - too late for my son-in-law who had already been killed on active service before the new rate was implemented. The amount is £5,280.88 tax-free.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:32:56

Well, I thought so too grannyactivist, have never heard anything otherwise.

Are you sure he wasn't spinning a yarn, gillybob?

grannyactivist Mon 01-Apr-19 11:30:01

For clarity:
Armed forces employment income

Your residence status does not affect the taxation position of your income from your employment by the British Crown – your earned income from your employment by the armed forces. As a member of the armed forces, you are a Crown servant and you will always be taxed in the UK in full on your Crown employment income whether or not the duties of the employment are carried out in the UK or overseas.

So, if you work abroad (are posted overseas) as a member of the armed forces, you pay UK income tax on your earnings from your job. This rule applies regardless of your actual residence status for tax purposes; it does not matter for how long you are working abroad, in which country you are working or how settled you are.
www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/armed-forces/residence-and-domicile-issues/residence-and-domicile-armed-forces#toc-what-are-the-rules-for-residence-and-domicile-for-the-armed-forces-

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:33:46

I must be out of touch.
Too late for a rebate now anyway smile

gillybob Mon 01-Apr-19 10:30:42

I don't know when this was introduced Jalima hmm but my DD's pig of an ex certainly enjoyed the benefits.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:29:58

It is absolutely a new one on me gillybob.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:26:37

Is it too late to put in a claim for a refund of tax from over 40 years ago?

gillybob Mon 01-Apr-19 10:19:42

I didn’t think you payed income tax at all when you were abroad on active duty ?

Well, I've never heard that one before, amongst all the stories that do the rounds

I can assure you that it is absolutely the case Jalima and not a "story doing the rounds" . They pay zero income tax whilst on active duty.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:06:47

janipat ?

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:04:38

janipat a bad experience like that could make you lose faith in them all.
smile

Alexa Mon 01-Apr-19 09:41:42

Janipat, we could get together with a bottle of Merlot and have a good grumble together smile

janipat Mon 01-Apr-19 00:53:17

I'd like to apologise for my last posts on this thread. I'd consumed more than a sensible amount of wine before posting, and while I may feel justified in feeling aggrieved by the last two solicitors my family or I have dealt with, it no way justified my abhorrent post. Apologies to all.

M0nica Sat 30-Mar-19 14:51:32

One shouldn't damn a whole profession because of one bad apple. Would you, for example, damn all mothers because one was dreadful? Far more people are cheated out of far more money by their relatives than anyone else.

Janipat , you clearly had a horrible experience and no recompense and I understand why you feel bitter, more than bitter, about the criminal who cheated you but, damning all solicitors because one was a crook?

Alexa Sat 30-Mar-19 10:43:07

Janipat, I too was cheated out of much of a legacy by a solicitor. When the firm of solicitors found out they reimbursed me and apologised, explaining that the criminal had been sacked.

Most people are honest. Unless this were so there would be no society for us to enjoy.

trisher Sat 30-Mar-19 10:16:59

I don't care hw you rank people I do care that these days many families need child care and pay a lot for it. That they also contribute towards the care of other's children who have not only an education, but are fed and housed in term time at the tax payers expense is completely unfair. And it seems some of the charitable status benefits these people as well. If they leave the forces the school will try to help financially so the child can stay. Not quite the charitable aim of providing for poor people. As for people working away from family many now do so.

janipat Sat 30-Mar-19 08:37:25

kittylester why uncalled for? I'm confused. Are you a solicitor? If so are you thinking it was directed at you? I don't know you so it certainly wasn't. If you'd had a family member ripped off by a solicitor like I have, you might view them ( well that one in particular) as lower than a sewer rat too.

kittylester Sat 30-Mar-19 06:53:57

Uncalled for janipat.

janipat Fri 29-Mar-19 22:55:37

Jalima many people rank solicitors lower than sewer rats smile

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:05:39

Gabriella - just one question

If faced with an enemy who is about to kill you would you rather have

a shopkeeper
a call centre handler
a KFC worker

or a trained soldier in between you and the enemy?

I admit a paramedic would be useful under those circumstances, full respect to them too.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:03:46

But all of them certainly rank higher than many solicitors in the ranks of respect.
Most people rank solicitors lower than estate agents, used car salesmen etc.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:02:48

I didn’t think you payed income tax at all when you were abroad on active duty ?
Well, I've never heard that one before, amongst all the stories that do the rounds.

I certainly don't accord those men and women any more respect than a shopkeeper, call-centre handler, paramedic or KFC worker.

But all of them certainly rank higher than many solicitors in the ranks of respect.

Jabberwok Fri 29-Mar-19 19:10:03

I think you'll find Gabriella that people joining the armed forces are only too aware that they could well be putting their lives on the line perhaps in very horrible, terrifying circumstances . Despite what you say these young men and woman are extremely brave and certainly prepared to be so. To belittle them the way you do is insulting,small minded and very ill informed, not to mention the disparaging way you regard other working people! All in all, pretty unpleasant really!!